• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Gerrard going?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Spook said:
TOCC said:
I just cant get past the fact of how slow he is, the wallabies will miss out on tries if Gerrard is fullback because he will be to slow to get there in support and he will get run down when any other fullback would be scoring.

::) How many tries has he scored compared with other aussies XVs this season?
yeah, well super14 is a little different to test rugby

F

formeropenside

cyclopath said:
the gambler said:
Gee, I can understand going to France for the culture, Ireland for the hospitality and tax breaks, Wales for the passion and support of rugby and Italy for the food but to go to Japan (2nd Division no less) really is money and money only.

Obviously setting himself up for life and he does have a bad injury record so many clubs may be reluctant to throw the big bucks his way, but I think he is a bit young to be making decisions purely based on money.
Maybe he really loves Kabuki, Haiku poetry and sake (of course, only at 97.25 deg F according to 007)?

Just read You Only Live Twice have we?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
cyclopath said:
the gambler said:
Gee, I can understand going to France for the culture, Ireland for the hospitality and tax breaks, Wales for the passion and support of rugby and Italy for the food but to go to Japan (2nd Division no less) really is money and money only.

Obviously setting himself up for life and he does have a bad injury record so many clubs may be reluctant to throw the big bucks his way, but I think he is a bit young to be making decisions purely based on money.
Maybe he really loves Kabuki, Haiku poetry and sake (of course, only at 97.25 deg F according to 007)?

Just read You Only Live Twice have we?
No, that line sort of stuck from the movie for some reason.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
cyclopath said:
the gambler said:

Lifestyle in Japan is extremely interesting, varied and pleasant for the gaijin resident .... not that I am making any comment on Gerrard's motive for going there :)

.... and I'd want my sake way colder than 97.25 deg F.

S

Spook

the gambler said:

The governement in Ireland has just savaged all tax payers.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I too reckon this is a great shame for the Wallabies, but I reckon it's potentially even more of a shame for Gerrard himself.

4th highest scorer in the S14 and he's off to play Japanese rugby FFS. This could be a real brave life choice thing, but I wonder if he doesn't undervalue himself having been overlooked.

S

steiner

Yep, a big shame and perhaps the first real mistake Robbie Deans has made in undervaluing this player. I've always assumed this was because he doesn't rate him in the counter-attack stakes. All I can say is, we better have one hell of a counter-attack coming from the back three in a couple of years to justify this.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
the gambler said:
But isn't there some deal where if you finish your career in Ireland you dont get taxed at all??

Irish players only I thought. Tax is greatly reduced over your last few years if you finish your career in Ireland as a pro sportsman.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
he was released from his contract? He was signed until next year, but both the Brums and ARU agreed to release him? Perhaps I am reading too much into it, but I reckon there is more to the story. Perhaps a Rocky Elsom style loss of money through investments?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
steiner said:
Yep, a big shame and perhaps the first real mistake Robbie Deans has made in undervaluing this player. I've always assumed this was because he doesn't rate him in the counter-attack stakes. All I can say is, we better have one hell of a counter-attack coming from the back three in a couple of years to justify this.

I think Gerrard's skills to kick deep to line just isn't in the Deans play book.

He wants a 15 who can counter when there is an opportunity and kick in the style that creates the opportunity to create a turnover. He wants a style that creates continuity, not more set pieces.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
fatprop said:
steiner said:

I think Gerrard's skills to kick deep to line just isn't in the Deans play book.

He wants a 15 who can counter when there is an opportunity and kick in the style that creates the opportunity to create a turnover. He wants a style that creates continuity, not more set pieces.

And plus he has never really revelled in the test arena. Never produced that one good game to prove himself totally.

S

Spook

barbarian said:
fatprop said:
steiner said:

And plus he has never really revelled in the test arena. Never produced that one good game to prove himself totally.

He scored a double against the Blacks in New Zealand through his own skill.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Ash said:
the gambler said:
But isn't there some deal where if you finish your career in Ireland you dont get taxed at all?
Irish players only I thought. Tax is greatly reduced over your last few years if you finish your career in Ireland as a pro sportsman.

Possibly not, Ash. I seem to remember the matter of retiring permanently was brought up when Christian Cullen finished his stint with Munster. If CC had've subsequently played elsewhere his Irish tax holiday would've been in jeopardy.

Status
Not open for further replies.