• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Gerrard going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
From the Australian

Brumbies stalwart Mark Gerrard might be the form fullback in Australia but said he could go overseas before the Wallabies are even selected next month.

Just when the Brumbies needed a moment of calm to collect themselves for Friday night's match in Canberra with the Bulls, just days after the emotionally draining funeral of teammate Shawn Mackay, they had a full-blown backline crisis to contend with.

First Gerrard was forced out with a hamstring niggle, then winger Alfi Mafi succumbed to a groin strain and by the time coach Andy Friend turned off the music, just about every Brumbies back had been enticed into the game of musical chairs.

Commendably, even Wallabies captain Stirling Mortlock gave up his regular seat at outside centre, volunteering to return to the wing berth he last occupied when he had enough hair to hide the scar tissue.

That bumped winger Adam Ashley-Cooper back to fullback, the position where he started in 10 Tests last season, with Gene Fairbanks coming from the bench to join Tyrone Smith as the new centre combination.

Meanwhile, Francis Fainifo was brought in on the right wing and asked to attend to Bryan Habana.

Even allowing for the fact that the Bulls have had some reorganising of their own to do after losing locks Victor Matfield and Bakkies Botha, the backline reshuffle still was an upheaval the Brumbies could have done without.

The Brumbies have taken so many blows lately that they have, like the cricketer in the Monty Python gag, become quite used to it by now.

But the loss of Gerrard, aptly described by Friend as "the best kicker in the competition", is a particularly savage and potentially match-turning reverse.

His tactical kicking this season is the main reason the ACT side still is contending for the play-offs. His momentum-shifting try against the Cheetahs, his precision kicking, both for goal and in general play against the Stormers last weekend, and his coolness at the back against the Crusaders all tipped matches that could have gone either way in favour of the Brumbies.

If Super 14 form alone was the only criteria - which, of course, it is not - Gerrard deserves to be the Wallabies fullback this season. He has been far more consistent than either Drew Mitchell or Sam Norton-Knight, while Cameron Shepherd - who was coach Robbie Deans' first-choice Test fullback last season - is still struggling with the after-effects of the fractured leg he sustained against France in Brisbane last July.

And just the balance of resources has forced Ashley-Cooper to play centre or wing for the Brumbies this year. But while Gerrard admitted he would jump at the chance to add to his tally of 23 Test caps, he is making plans on the premise that Deans once again will not require him for the Wallabies.

"It's not that I have any ill-feelings or anything like that but my wife Larisa and I have a young family, with two kids, five and three, and we've always wanted to give them the experience of living in a different culture," Gerrard said.

"Heck, I've always wanted to experience living in a different culture.

"We've looked at a few clubs in England, France and Japan and looked at the pros and cons of each country. I'm only 26. I'm in a good position to further my career. It's a great opportunity. I'd probably only miss one or two seasons and then come back. I'd still only be 28.

"Do I burn my chances of playing for my country again? Possibly. But I'm definitely supportive of the young players coming through."

Gerrard has kept the Australian Rugby Union informed of his plans and while he is hoping the Wallabies selectors come back to him with an enticing reason to defer his overseas sabbatical, he will not hold off on his decision on the off-chance his phone might ring.

"I'm going to look out for my family," he said.

Doesn't sound like a money thing. By fuck he should give it another 6 months though before making any decision. This could be his meal ticket if it works out.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
I wish him all the best, sounds like he has a terrific future in front of him. Rugby really offers a lot to its players.

Hurts the Brumbies more than it hurts the Wallabies. If he was good enough, he'd have made it by now.

I do find it ironic that when he came onto the rugby scene it was as a dynamic ball runner whereas now he's more of an Andre Joubert type.

T

TOCC

I just cant get past the fact of how slow he is, the wallabies will miss out on tries if Gerrard is fullback because he will be to slow to get there in support and he will get run down when any other fullback would be scoring.

His great at S14 level, but unfortunately he is just to slow for test level IMO

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hurts the Brumbies more than it hurts the Wallabies. If he was good enough, he'd have made it by now.

I do find it ironic that when he came onto the rugby scene it was as a dynamic ball runner whereas now he's more of an Andre Joubert type.

Yeah Gerrad 2004 was sublime, Gerrard post 2004 was pretty average except for Bledisloe 2 in auckland 2005 were he was brilliant & really carved the AB's up

I just cant get past the fact of how slow he is, the wallabies will miss out on tries if Gerrard is fullback because he will be to slow to get there in support and he will get run down when any other fullback would be scoring.

His great at S14 level, but unfortunately he is just to slow for test level IMO

I'd play him in the pouring rain for his kicking game but that means I'd be naming my team usually 30 minutes before kick off.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Speaking of slow - Stirlo last night...shees. Can he hold on for 2011? I am starting to think not.

S

Spook

TOCC said:

::) How many tries has he scored compared with other aussies XVs this season?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
In a choice between a 3rd winger (e.g. Mitchell) and someone who can kick, place kick, tackle and play-make I know who I'd pick.

Oh, and he's the highest Aus points scorer for S14 this year.

R

rugbywhisperer

Gagger said:
In a choice between a 3rd winger (e.g. Mitchell) and someone who can kick, place kick, tackle and play-make I know who I'd pick.Oh, and he's the highest Aus points scorer for S14 this year.

Please, after last night lets not speak of Mitchell and Wallaby jumper in the same article.
The thought just beggars belief.

WhoNeedsMelon

Frank Row (1)
rugbywhisperer said:
Gagger said:
In a choice between a 3rd winger (e.g. Mitchell) and someone who can kick, place kick, tackle and play-make I know who I'd pick.Oh, and he's the highest Aus points scorer for S14 this year.

Please, after last night lets not speak of Mitchell and Wallaby jumper in the same article.
The thought just beggars belief.

I'm not saying I don't disagree but who do you suggest for fullback for the Wallabies then? Personally I say, as I've said before "BRING BACK LATHAM!!!". ;D

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Gerrard's strengths unfortunately doesn't fit into the style of play Deans want.

Deans generally seems to want to to create potential turnover opportunities with kicks, not more set pieces, so long kicks for touch aren't plan a or b options.

He also wants players with real pace that can convert the turnover opportunities into points.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
fatprop said:
Gerrard's strengths unfortunately doesn't fit into the style of play Deans want.

Deans generally seems to want to to create potential turnover opportunities with kicks, not more set pieces, so long kicks for touch aren't plan a or b options.

He also wants players with real pace that can convert the turnover opportunities into points.

FP, thats an interesting statement because there is no 15, let alone Australian S14 team playing to a saders of <2009 ability. I think we might just need to play to what we have then to what we all translate what Robby might want

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Gagger said:
fatprop said:

FP, thats an interesting statement because there is no 15, let alone Australian S14 team playing to a saders of <2009 ability. I think we might just need to play to what we have then to what we all translate what Robby might want

None are perfect, but the Force have Mitchell, Shepherd & O'Conner(he got a run there on the Euro tour). Each could play the role the I think Deans wants with various amounts of success.

Shepherd would be my choice, the guy oozes class

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
fatprop said:
Gagger said:
fatprop said:

None are perfect, but the Force have Mitchell, Shepherd & O'Conner(he got a run there on the Euro tour). Each could play the role the I think Deans wants with various amounts of success.

Shepherd would be my choice, the guy oozes class
Agree on Shepherd if he doesn't break. But we have hardly any good evidence this season to know.
Mitchell?? No, No , No, No, NOOOOO! I do not want to see him at 15 for the Wallabies. I would have Gerrard every day of the week - his assets outweigh his weaknesses, and he has done the work this year.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yeah its a tough one. Gerrard has to be considered just because of that massive boot - very solid player besides. Mitchell? Please no - unless he doesn't have to catch anything.

S

steiner

I've always been a huge supporter of Gerrard even when he used to cop a bit of flak at the beginning of his international career, but the reason he has been overlooked by Deans is fairly simple.

Deans wants to develop a good back three counter-atttack. He's got two years to do it before a world cup, he knows the value of it, having been with the Crusaders and the AB's and he doesn't view players like Gerrard and Norton- Knight as much chop in that area. He does view Mitchell and Ashley-Cooper as good in that area, justifiably I think. He no doubt recognizes the flaws of these two but will be hoping they overcome them. For the same reason he'll look at players like JOC (James O'Connor) and Quade Cooper as well, and probably Shepherd will be his number one, as was the case last year.

Deans was backs coach at the AB's when they played Spencer ahead of Mehrtens, so he is willing to play a more erratic attacking player over an excellent kicker.

That said, I hope they offer Gerrard a good deal and he stays. I think he's cool under pressure and would be great in a pressure-cooker world cup match. As well, as originally mentioned by Lee G, he'll be great in the wet, and it rains a bit in NZ.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Gone...

Former Wallabies fullback Mark Gerrard has been granted a release by the Brumbies and has signed with a Japanese club.

Gerrard requested the release from the third year of his contract with the Brumbies and Australian Rugby Union so he could take up an offer with Japanese second division club, NTT Communications.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25378853-5002381,00.html

He's got his detractors but I still rate him, and at 26 he can still come back in a few years a la Leon MacDonald and have another crack.

People whinge about his defence but in today's Telegraph stats show he's missed HALF the number of tackles Drew Mitchell has missed, who is the incumbent IIRC.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Gee, I can understand going to France for the culture, Ireland for the hospitality and tax breaks, Wales for the passion and support of rugby and Italy for the food but to go to Japan (2nd Division no less) really is money and money only.

Obviously setting himself up for life and he does have a bad injury record so many clubs may be reluctant to throw the big bucks his way, but I think he is a bit young to be making decisions purely based on money.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
the gambler said:
Gee, I can understand going to France for the culture, Ireland for the hospitality and tax breaks, Wales for the passion and support of rugby and Italy for the food but to go to Japan (2nd Division no less) really is money and money only.

Obviously setting himself up for life and he does have a bad injury record so many clubs may be reluctant to throw the big bucks his way, but I think he is a bit young to be making decisions purely based on money.
Maybe he really loves Kabuki, Haiku poetry and sake (of course, only at 97.25 deg F according to 007)?

Status
Not open for further replies.