• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

George Smith - Will / Should He Play Against The Lions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thundercat

Frank Row (1)
Agreed completely with the idea that his test level experience is invaluable and simply having him in the squad is a no brainer. I would still agree even if he was not in the top form that he is now

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
So if key Wallabies decide that it would be far more lucrative for them to skip the EOYT and spend the off season in Japan, then we should be fine with that?

I really feel that the ARU needs to either open the floodgates and say that people are free to do what they want but as long as they are here when the Super Rugby season is on they will be eligible for the Wallabies or they should stick with their existing rule and not select Smith to play for the Wallabies as he has an existing foreign contract.

The absence of Pocock can't be considered a crisis that requires a special exemption for George Smith. Sure he's a Wallaby legend, but the ARU needs to be consistent.

Hedging your bets eh? The first part of that bolded paragraph precisely echos my argument. But I really don't think you feel that way, considering the position you have been arguing from.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
No what you'll get is players going overseas to make bigger money for a couple of years and coming back maybe 12 months out from the RWC signing with the ARU. If they are an Elsom or Vickerman they will be signed to the ARU if they haven't got a Provincial contract and nobody appears to want them or they haven't played professional rugby at all for two years and have serious fitness issues. But all that is OK because they are special.

Consider that Super sides will lose a hell of a lot of flexibility in contracting as they push for longer contracts from players they know will be in demand OS. Those players are likely to go play for a year or two and then come back just in time for the RWC.

I can certainly see players of the standing of JOC (James O'Connor), Pocock, Palu etc being able to do just that.

That has been my objection to the sophistry of the ARU process. If the ARU really wants to protect Australian Rugby the eligible players must be contracted to play super Rugby in the calendar year they are to represent the Wallabies. If they do that they can play any or all of the tests they are selected for.

The current "system" they have has been abused by them for their own purposes and I can see why Smith and those supporting his bid would think he should be able to come back in and play as well. Do I think he should be able to play for the Wallabies, now that he has signed a full term contract with the Brumbies for the whole season, yes. He certainly given more to Australian Rugby in 2013 than Elsom and Vickerman did in the respective years they were selected to play.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hedging your bets eh? The first part of that bolded paragraph precisely echos my argument. But I really don't think you feel that way, considering the position you have been arguing from.

I was really just laying out the two options that I saw as viable. Either you go down the line of the European countries or South Africa and make everyone eligible or you restrict it to ARU contracted players.

I absolutely think the status quo should be maintained and that all Wallaby eligible people are signed with the ARU and playing rugby in Australia.

I have no problems with that eligibility being able to start part way through the year as is the case for players returning to Australia.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Its funny, I have been reflecting on history a bit this week and I can recall quite clearly the same arguments being made about protecting Australian Rugby in 80's and early 90s about players like Campese, Ella, Fitzsimons et al playing Club Rugby (and shall we say working ;)) in Italy and France and coming back to play with the Wallabies.

Maybe if the ARU hadn't been asleep at the wheel they would have come up with a fully wrought system that left no ambiguities, and regardless of the views of some those ambiguities are what has led to the current situation and the strong possibilities of players doing the NH hop in the interim between RWC.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
People arguing against the inclusion of George are arguing based on a ridiculous technicality.

Somehow Drew Mitchell should be eligible but Smith shouldn't? If the player has just played a Super 15 season they should be eligible. Jake White gave a fairly good indication that he could be available for the Wallabies too if we so desire.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So if key Wallabies decide that it would be far more lucrative for them to skip the EOYT and spend the off season in Japan, then we should be fine with that?

I really feel that the ARU needs to either open the floodgates and say that people are free to do what they want but as long as they are here when the Super Rugby season is on they will be eligible for the Wallabies or they should stick with their existing rule and not select Smith to play for the Wallabies as he has an existing foreign contract.

The absence of Pocock can't be considered a crisis that requires a special exemption for George Smith. Sure he's a Wallaby legend, but the ARU needs to be consistent.

You seem to be placing all your emphasis on "existing foreign contract", when surely the issue is whether or not the player is playing super rugby in Australia in the current season. You talk of floodgates being opened, but you seem to think it's ok for Burgess to go and earn good money in France and then come straight back and be selected for the Wallabies without playing a minute of super rugby for 3 years. Isn't this a more dangerous precedent that the Smith example? The French season is twice the length of the Japanese and is far more attractive for Australian players on the available evidence.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
You seem to be placing all your emphasis on "existing foreign contract", when surely the issue is whether or not the player is playing super rugby in Australia in the current season. You talk of floodgates being opened, but you seem to think it's ok for Burgess to go and earn good money in France and then come straight back and be selected for the Wallabies without playing a minute of super rugby for 3 years. Isn't this a more dangerous precedent that the Smith example? The French season is twice the length of the Japanese and is far more attractive for Australian players on the available evidence.
Ditto - it is called an exemption to policy. Good mitigants, and good reasons support him wearing the gold jersey again.

The policy in place is good - his form created the thought, and how many players could state a case as strong as Smith, that'll own what he will add to the playing group.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Players that have played in AUS for the past 10 years ie Drew Mitchell but who are leaving, most certainly should be eligible to play if selected. This is an entirely different proposition to selecting a player who is simply 'on-loan' from and overseas club for a short stint in the year one of the biggest tours is on. It is amazing that some can't see the difference!
Using that logic Giteau could come back and play a few games for the Brumbies, play against the Lions then head back to France and somehow that would be good for AUS Rugby?!?!

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Players that have played in AUS for the past 10 years ie Drew Mitchell but who are leaving, most certainly should be eligible to play if selected. This is an entirely different proposition to selecting a player who is simply 'on-loan' from and overseas club for a short stint in the year one of the biggest tours is on. It is amazing that some can't see the difference!
Using that logic Giteau could come back and play a few games for the Brumbies, play against the Lions then head back to France and somehow that would be good for AUS Rugby?!?!
He could try, however Giteau is not a worthy exemption to policy (in my bias eyes anyway).

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Ditto - it is called an exemption to policy. Good mitigants, and good reasons support him wearing the gold jersey again.

Yes there are reasons you could grant and exemption. But the reasons you wouldn't still outweigh the perceived benefits. We simply don't need him that badly that we should set such a dangerous precedent. Take the rose coloured glasses off for one second and you'll see that.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Yes there are reasons you could grant and exemption. But the reasons you wouldn't still outweigh the perceived benefits. We simply don't need him that badly that we should set such a dangerous precedent. Take the rose coloured glasses off for one second and you'll see that.
Scoey, one of the joys with this game is we can wear these glasses and share our thoughts - I'd like him there.
In the same way I'd have Cooper as one of my first chosen, how he delivered toxic last year - yeah there could have been better ways however I think he was is 100% correct.
Saturday night - MOM George Smith, & Reds by 10.

Scoey, yeah I'm talking up George and think shit the Deans game plan made Cooper look crap, hope he doesnt wreck a magnificent career for George.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

But the absence of either Gill or Hooper to injury before or during the Lions tests would be an unavoidable crisis if the ARU does the right thing and settles the eligibility question asap. It would then be up to Deans and selectors as to whether George plays or not if all are available.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

This is one side of the problem that the ARU will potentially create if they adjust the policy and let George Smith play.

The other side is that current Wallabies will decide that it is worth not going on the EOYT so they can play the majority of the season in Japan. By missing four tests each year, our top players could earn an extra $500k-$800k without any dramas by going to Japan.

If some of our best players like Genia, JOC (James O'Connor), Pocock, Ioane etc. decide that there is extra money that can be earned and demand that they're given that sort of flexibility by the ARU, it will be difficult for the ARU to deny them if they set the precedent by letting George Smith play against the Lions.

If Australian rugby was in a desperate position for players then I think the argument to let George Smith play would be a stronger one. We just aren't in that position though. Changing the rules for one person will invariably lead to it happening for more people. The ARU is still subject to employment laws and whilst they can set their rules like they currently have, if they break that rule for one person, another person can potentially make a claim of restraint of trade if they don't allow them to do something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.