• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Free to air Super Rugby coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I say we BBBBBBUUUUUUURRRRRRNNNN them.....

that plus write polite yet spiteful letters....

I think they're still sorting through the Ashes letters...

Worst channel in the world? Advertise every ball live and in HD for the Ashes... they should've been jailed for that

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I also work in television...

Channel 7 never showed the test matches live where I currently live...

Due to the auction process regarding the AFL 9 will most likely get at least one game from next year sharing with 7, 10 and Foxtel...

While there are the rumours circulating of Packer wanting to shut down OneHD they're nothing more than rumours at this stage...

And most of the country has digital access...

oneHD is losing a buttload of money. packer is a bussiness man and the current laws indicate that live event must go on a main channel before a digital channel so him buying anything in the hope of it going on a digital second channel is stupid, hense why oneHD has NBL and a crapload of motor racing.

while most of the country does have digital access, most of the country does not use it also making live events on these channels stupid as paying money to broadcast something on a channel you cant sell advertising is suicide as you well know.

channel 9 is bracing itself for the fight of its life over the NRL, im not sure they will do anything in the AFL rights other than inflate the price with the hope of pushing seven so high they dont touch the NRL.

its an interesting time regarding sport and 9 have had to make the commitment of playing test match rugby live on saturday nights as part of its contract. if they dont show it they will be in breach and another network will be allowed to show it for free as i understand the laws will be written in during coming months.

the NRL rights will be far bigger shitfight than the AFL, the new independent commission they are bagging on about with each member of the clubs on a board will have a huge fight on there hands, as the AFL has shown the only way to generate more income is with more content, they can drive up the price a little but adding an extra game can get you a whole lot more money and with most of the NRL clubs in financial limbo, having to expand to make more is going to f them over like nothing before.

anyway, nine will show rugby live, the replay of extra time cant be shown on sunday unless its on a week delay as fox dont produce it til monday and they wouldnt allow it to go head to head with fox sports. so it leaves nine with the opportunity to play it from midnight monday til thursday, which prime time show are they taking out of there schedule to show it? they would be idiots to. as was said before its an hour more than seven gave us in years, get over it and carry on with your lives.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I believe the laws are being relaxed to allow more live sport on the extra digital channels...

Channel 7 has no interest in the NRL... but believe me that 9 are desperate to get the AFL back...

9 have an advantage in the bidding process but the most likely scenario is that they take a game off 10 or 7... either 10's Saturday night or 7's Sunday day match...

I'd like a closer look at the contract 9 have with the rugby... I'm sure that Qld/NSW & ACT are still guaranteed live (well, slight delay) telecasts but I wouldn't be surprised to see most of the country get screwed...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I believe the laws are being relaxed to allow more live sport on the extra digital channels...

Channel 7 has no interest in the NRL... but believe me that 9 are desperate to get the AFL back...

9 have an advantage in the bidding process but the most likely scenario is that they take a game off 10 or 7... either 10's Saturday night or 7's Sunday day match...

I'd like a closer look at the contract 9 have with the rugby... I'm sure that Qld/NSW & ACT are still guaranteed live (well, slight delay) telecasts but I wouldn't be surprised to see most of the country get screwed...

im at 7 and i can assure you they want league. nines only reason for being involved in afl is melbourne rights but they would never put it on over nrl on a friday or sunday arvo, which leaves saturday night which is the lowest rating night on television. it doesnt make economic sense to be to involved.

7 want league like a plague at the moment and will be huge in negotiations. news ltd leaving the game will pretty much mean fox play hard ball, there isnt going to be money for the nrl in pay tv circles, wouldnt be surprised if they bring back the afl channel as an inticer for more games.

why is it you think 9 have an advantage in afl bidding? the fact ten is in sevens back pocket would point more towards them from my perspective.

the relaxation in the viewing laws is being brought in because of the floods earlier this year, it is basically only if there is a matter of australian importance such as a breaking event that a game may be moved to a digital channel. the bidding process dictates that a free to air network on a main channel must be bidding for the event. thats why this last monday the superbowl was on channel ten and oneHD, as it was upscaled to an event of importance causing it to have to be shown on a main channel

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Of course 9 would put AFL over the NRL (outside NSW/ACT/QLD).

NRL is already delayed until after midnight throughout most of Australia.

There are mega bucks in AFL and 9 want a slice.

9 intentionally dumped Wimbeldon so they can compete.

What department in 7 do you work for to have supposed inside knowledge?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Into the whole debate will be the 7's in a couple of years. After the Olympics and the world publicity that it will generate for Rugby there may well be a lot more dollars in 7s (and hopefully 15s) if the World 7s circuit gets more exposure as a result.

I have already seen a couple of US News articles trumpeting the fact that they are defending Olympic champions etc etc. The biggest market in the world could bring a lot of fresh money to Rugby and it would be crazy to think it wouldn't effect how the game is marketed here.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Having said all that... Channel 7 always put in a bid for the NRL... it's how the game is played...

But it's Channel 10 who are probably going to be more aggressive when the rights are up...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Of course 9 would put AFL over the NRL (outside NSW/ACT/QLD).

NRL is already delayed until after midnight throughout most of Australia.

There are mega bucks in AFL and 9 want a slice.

9 intentionally dumped Wimbeldon so they can compete.

What department in 7 do you work for to have supposed inside knowledge?

i have friends and colleges throughout sport and above, i work in drama though, just really interested so always ask, not having a go at you, just stating what ive heard. interested in your opinion as well, wasnt having a go sorry if it came across like that.

NRL outrates AFL by alot in sydney and brisbane, there is no way nine would drop friday night nrl for afl in any context as AFL only rates in melbourne, it would be a massive drop in numbers.
saturday night is the only ground i can see nine competing on and i just dont think its going to happen. ten would tell you that playing a swans match doesnt get as many numbers as an old time movie more often than not, same with a lions match in brissy, so really you have adelaide and wa plus melbourne that will watch an afl match in numbers and only melbourne with enough fans to have any meaninfull income from it. unless there going to bid to have saturday so they can also bid for the final, i wouldnt put it past them but they would pay alot just as an up yours to the other networks.

NRL is apparantly going to split it up like afl and sell state of origin seperately as well as finals, seven is preparing to buy SOO just to prevent nine from having it and are also going for sunday afternoon league. this i know well, the rest i know from here and there and have put together myself, its not fact, but its obvious with the information out there that i have seen, to me anyway.

T

TOCC

the relaxation in the viewing laws is being brought in because of the floods earlier this year, it is basically only if there is a matter of australian importance such as a breaking event that a game may be moved to a digital channel. the bidding process dictates that a free to air network on a main channel must be bidding for the event. thats why this last monday the superbowl was on channel ten and oneHD, as it was upscaled to an event of importance causing it to have to be shown on a main channel

No, the anti-siphoning list is piece of federal legislation, it was reviewed last year due to the advent of digital multi-channels since it was last reviewed, it wasn't because of the floods.

Superbowl is not a event of importance (ie anti-siphoning list)..

The new format of the anti-siphoning list sees the creation of a tier system, with NRL/AFL GF/RWC finalsincluded on the tier 1 list, the bulk of the list is tier 2(including wallaby tests), meaning networks aren't obligated to broadcast live or on the main channel.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
No, the anti-siphoning list is piece of federal legislation, it was reviewed last year due to the advent of digital multi-channels since it was last reviewed, it wasn't because of the floods.

Superbowl is not a event of importance (ie anti-siphoning list)..

The new format of the anti-siphoning list sees the creation of a tier system, with NRL/AFL GF/RWC finalsincluded on the tier 1 list, the bulk of the list is tier 2(including wallaby tests), meaning networks aren't obligated to broadcast live or on the main channel.

and they were reviewed again when the floods happened earlier this year forcing cricket i think it was onto a sub station and creating a further debate about the laws that are to be amended agin during the first term of parliment. at least that was the memo i was reading from.

fox made a play for the superbowl at the last minute causing ten to change its schedule and play it on its main channel as well as oneHD. they argued ten were not using it and therefore shouldnt be allowed it at all which would have forced more viewers for them, it aint rocket science and it would happen with the wallabies if they wernt on a main channel as well. the law will be revised within the year as they will every year as the system in the country is crap.

T

TOCC

i actually started a thread last year and explained what the anti-siphoning list changes meant for rugby union, its all in there

Federal legisliation cant just have quick ammendments made for things like 10 and fox squabbling over the superbowl, doesnt work like that unfortunately..i doub it happened, but happy for you to show me the contrary

T

TOCC

WaratahJesus, im really curious as to where you have got your information from, Bill ammendments for federal legisliation just dont happen over night, it takes months to pass through parliment let alone the review period which took upwards of 12 months...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
WaratahJesus, im really curious as to where you have got your information from, Bill ammendments for federal legisliation just dont happen over night, it takes months to pass through parliment let alone the review period which took upwards of 12 months...

during the floods permission was granted to channel nine, debate is meant to be reopened during the first term of sitting in fed this year as the laws fell short of expectations and this opened the flood gates..

i get my information from people at work who are involved and fighting for this shit. i sit with them at lunch and talk to them about it, sometimes due to interest, sometimes as im trying to score a job at the london olympics, but overall cos its really interesting. the most interesting thing is the networks screwing each other over and the fact we have a heap more channels with no more competition out of it. but bring it on, its good stuff for the 1% of people that give a shit.

T

TOCC

during the floods permission was granted to channel nine, debate is meant to be reopened during the first term of sitting in fed this year as the laws fell short of expectations and this opened the flood gates..

i get my information from people at work who are involved and fighting for this shit. i sit with them at lunch and talk to them about it, sometimes due to interest, sometimes as im trying to score a job at the london olympics, but overall cos its really interesting. the most interesting thing is the networks screwing each other over and the fact we have a heap more channels with no more competition out of it. but bring it on, its good stuff for the 1% of people that give a shit.

i thought you said you read it from a memo?
Regardless, no ammendments or reviews have been undertaken to the bill ammednment since it was created in Nov/Dec last year and is proposed for introduction in the 2011 Autumn sittings... contrary to what you said earlier

not trying to be rude, just clarifying a few things which may be misinterpreted

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i thought you said you read it from a memo?
Regardless, no ammendments or reviews have been undertaken to the bill ammednment since it was created in Nov/Dec last year and is proposed for introduction in the 2011 Autumn sittings... contrary to what you said earlier

not trying to be rude, just clarifying a few things which may be misinterpreted

there was a memo at my work that i read that they are opposed to the introduction and the flood situation that i mentioned was the catalyst for it. they made up crap on the fly in regards to giving permission in extroidanary events and the whole thing is going to be put back for discussion.

thats what the producers at my work are working on, proposals etc for changes, they dont believe the laws will go through and ive heard from another company that the same is happening there.

im working on discussions and things written by people working on it, i agree with what your saying, but in the current form its causing alot of angst and legal crap going on at the coalface.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I subscribe to FOX for 2 things. HD rugby and HD cricket. At least they show stuff in HD unlike channel fecking useless 9 who didn't even cover the Ashes live in HD. A joke. At least FOX are taking cues from Sky Sports in the UK about great sports coverage. I cannot image not watching footy in HD, it is a blurry mess.

One thing I will say about One - they had a f**king legend, intelligent GPS man in Tuney. Wish they got him on the Rugby Show.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
If rugby want to be more popular then AFL and league they have got to get on Free-to-air TV. I have only recently got Foxtel which is why I got back into watching rugby, Now I dont have Fox anymore and the only way to watch it is to go down the club which is okay for the social side of it but sometimes id much rather relax at home and watch the game without distractions and annoying drunks.

Where the hell can i watch Rugby Online? Dont mind paying a bit for it? whats the best website?

Status
Not open for further replies.