• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

France v Australia, Saturday 19 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I go away camping, we win the game, and some old women on here are still deep into menopausal angst.

1) We won.
2) We did it against France in France
3) Maybe we got lucky
4) "The harder I work, the luckier I get"
5) See point 1

Shit yeah there are things to work on, but there are ALWAYS things to work on. Even when you pump Wales, you realise they didn't play that well, so you turn inward and look at the little mistakes.

Scotland was a wakeup call. So was this. Could have lost both to a penalty in the last minute except the ref wasn't going to put himself in that position.

We were better than the other bloke. Note the negatives, praise the positives, get ready for next week.

While I don't think this place needs to be all smiles and sunshine, there are some posters who post nothing but negative stuff. And its fucking tiring reading it, and fucking tiring shooting it down for the ridiculous shit it is.

Actually that was a lie: its funny as fuck to do that, because you realise they'll never actually understand how wrong they are.

Monty

Frank Nicholson (4)
I'm really happy with the result and how we played - especially considering the changes we made this week.

We have started to add a few more strings to our bow in attack. It's no longer just playing a high tempo game trying to get the ball away from the ruck as quickly as possible. The last few games have also seen attacking kicks, pick-and-go's and rolling mauls. The philosophy is no longer just run it from everywhere, which obviously makes us harder to defend against. Maybe this was always the plan, but the skills and/or fitness have got to a level now where we can execute it better.

There were a few times when our defence was stretched where I thought if France could have moved the ball quicker they would have scored. Our defence was more disjointed this game, which is probably down to players not used to playing with each other. Also most of their breaks seemed to be down our right wing so something needs to be sorted out there. But on the flip side some of their offloads were pure French flair and our scramble defence did really well.

But the big positive for mine was that we are developing depth, and that depth can slot in when required and play to the game plan (there's another decent team who plays international rugby that does that.....). This less experienced side also closed out a tight game which has got to be a positive learning.

If someone had said to me before the EOYT started that we would have been 3 from 3 at this stage, I would have had a big smile on my face - and I've been walking around with one all day.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Naivalu really should have had a try to his name - he was taken early with the try line open about a metre or two away. A penalty try could well have resulted in another game with another ref.

On slow mo it was clearly an early tackle.

I have no issue that the ref at real time thought it wasn't, however considering the situation I do blame him for not asking the TMO to check if it was an early tackle.

Try scoring situation could have got a yc or a penalty try at least a penalty.

Didn't even consider a review.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm sorry some didn't enjoy that games, because I sure did.
I mean, those who were howling down everything Cheika did are still unhappy, but he rolled the dice, made sure as many players as possible were uninjured for Ireland, and won.
I can just imagine the vitriol if we'd lost by two points, but a win is a win and I'm happy. (by the way, I wouldn't have played that side, but then, I'm not the coach and it's not my head on the line.)
I thought Slipper was the only disappointing player, although I was also disappointed Pocock dodn't have a quiet and polite word to the Ref about angling in. It's all very well to not irritate the Ref, but you do have to take on the captaincy role.
By the way, that's not a criticism of Pocock's play, I thought he was MOM.
The one thing I don't get about MC is Skelton. I mean, I can see how good it would be to have someone that big, but for mine the guy's not even at Super rugby level.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
On slow mo it was clearly an early tackle.

I have no issue that the ref at real time thought it wasn't, however considering the situation I do blame him for not asking the TMO to check if it was an early tackle.

Try scoring situation could have got a yc or a penalty try at least a penalty.

Didn't even consider a review.

And that's the bit that shits me about the review system - in Auckland we lose a try because of the TMO deciding he wants to do his job and look for foul play.

Fair enough, but then the same standard isn't applied later.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
I was also disappointed Pocock dodn't have a quiet and polite word to the Ref about angling in. It's all very well to not irritate the Ref, but you do have to take on the captaincy role.

Thought the Irish captain did an excellent job of ref engagement, made his points strongly and firmly, but in a manner that would not get up the nose of any referee.

Must be the charming irish accent.

Hmm, not sure why I posted this now! anyways, agree with you

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
We won a test match, which is always a good thing. The downside is that there's still too many Warat <keyboard disconnected>

Well if a certain Queenslander hadn't broken down just bef-

giphy.gif

;)

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
What's the feeling on the 4 & 6 from here? Do we go mumm/fardy with Douglas or pocock with Simmons?

I think Douglas is way underdone. Prefer Simmons even though he needs to improve. Maybe Douglas next year.

Mum v fardy. Mum has played well (even though I gave him a gobfull). Good for him and that was against much lesser opposition. His real test comes against top 5 teams. Jury still out, so far. But I think he is preferred over fardy. Fardy lookin a little slower and making errors because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
I'm sorry some didn't enjoy that games, because I sure did.
I mean, those who were howling down everything Cheika did are still unhappy, but he rolled the dice, made sure as many players as possible were uninjured for Ireland, and won.
I can just imagine the vitriol if we'd lost by two points, but a win is a win and I'm happy. (by the way, I wouldn't have played that side, but then, I'm not the coach and it's not my head on the line.)

Sometimes it seems to me that some of the people who criticise Cheika heavily would prefer for the wallabies to lose so they can be proven right.

As for me happy to be wrong anytime Wallabies win.

I thought it was too big a risk and rested too many, turned out I was wrong.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
And that's the bit that shits me about the review system - in Auckland we lose a try because of the TMO deciding he wants to do his job and look for foul play.

Fair enough, but then the same standard isn't applied later.
Consistency is the eternal barometer of good or bad refereeing. Doesn't matter how you apply or interpret the rules, just fucking do it the same every time.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think Douglas is way underdone. Prefer Simmons even though he needs to improve. Maybe Douglas next year.

Mum v fardy. Mum has played well (even though I gave him a gobfull). Good for him and that was against much lesser opposition. His real test comes against top 5 teams. Jury still out, so far. But I think he is preferred over fardy. Fardy lookin a little slower and making errors because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pocock will revert back to 6 for the next 2 games, with timani and hooper rounding it out.

macmahon looks crocked, think its end of the tour from him the way he limped off.

fardy looks slow and a bit ... frustrated ??? .... i don't know but he hasnt pulled out the stats or performances to really unseat mumm, which is sure to setup another fantastic week of banter.

Rip 'em a new one

Bob McCowan (2)
Really proud to see us get away with the win. Very intense game in the forwards and some amazing French running to contend with.

I felt the piggies on the ground were great. They dug in hard and were really aggressive across the park. Even Simmons. I felt they really brought the intensity we need for CheikaBall to work. They really dug in and were for the most part effective and accurate.

Pocock was amazing to watch. The strength of the man epitomized when Antonio the French TH tried to clean him up from behind, but instead ended up being pirouetted up and over Pocock's body so alarmingly Jackson wanted to someone for lifting. His breakdown work incredible and saved our bacon so many times.

Douglas ran out of puff but his impact in tight was definitely noticeable. Hope we see him back and getting fitter and fitter all the time. Latu, a couple of brain snaps aside, was pretty impressive around the park too. Hope he can learn to throw straight...

Slipper looks like a guy whose lost belief in himself. There's doubt or weakness in his eyes that didn't used to be there. Think he had a hard ask today given Jackson's refereeing of the scrum, but there's certainly something going on as his set piece is going backwards.

All in all I was pleased to see all the changes in the forward pack still being so cohesive across the park This to me is the hallmark of a squad all singing from the same sheet and indicative of the depth we've been trying to build. Good signs.

The backs were telling for the same reason. Obviously lots of these replacements hadn't been in camp and the fluency was obviously not there. They looked far more like a collection of good players, as opposed to a squad running familiar lines and moves.

All in all I'm damn stoked to be sitting here with 3 from 3 and can't wait for Ireland.

Game on!

Kev

Herbert Moran (7)
Has anyone seen the post-match presser? Pocock looks like he's about to murder someone. Downright rocking the Terminator 1 vibe.
poey.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.