• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Form Oz Super Rugby Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GC

So now it's over for 3 of our 5 teams, I reckon it's time to have a look at the form Oz Super Rugby team over all the rounds. It's subjective, not like the points system allocated each game. It's also not a Wobs team - combinations or incumbency don't matter, positions are the positions that player played mostly in for the S15. Missing half a season counts against the player.

1. Robinson
2. TPN
3. Kepu
4. Horwill
5. Sharpe
6. Higgenbotham
7. Robinson
8. Samo
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Diggers
12. Carter
13. Fainga'a
14. Morahan
15. Beale

16. Slipper
17. Charles (Moore missed too much of the season)
18. Simmons (shades Timani and Pyle as ultra consistant all year)
19. Pocock (Same as Moore, missed too much of the season)
20. Sheehan (shades Burgo as has been more consistant, Phipps can't tackle)
21. Giteau (Good form but not close to Cooper as a 10)
22. JOC (James O'Connor) (would have been a shoe-in for IC if he played more than a couple of games there. Beale has been better as full-back)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Moore missed too much of the season?

I would be surprised if TPN played more minutes than Moore this year, who only missed 4 games and generally played 70+ minutes per game...

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
20. Sheehan (shades Burgo as has been more consistant, Phipps can't tackle)

According to Foxsports, Phipps has made 188 tackles made (leads all halfbacks, equal 5th for the whole competition) and has missed 44 (he has made 81% of his tackles). Percentage wise, thats equal with Valentine (81%) and better than Genia (79%), Sheehan (79%), Burgess (74%) and Phibbs (71%). I think its fair to say he can tackle, and probably has the best defensive work rate out of all of the Australian halfbacks (it might also be the case that the Rebels had to defend more than other teams though).

G

GC

Moore missed too much of the season?

I'd like to see a comparison in minutes played between TPN and Moore...

If you don't count the parts where he was lying down during the game or went off early, I think TPN actually played most of the season. Missed maybe 3 games? Tahs fans?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
1-Robinson
2-Moore (only cause Tatafu has been injured a bit)
3-Kepu (or Slipper cause of injury)
4-Sharpe
5-Horwill
6- Higginbotham
7-Pocock
8-McCalman/Samo (couldn't really split)
9-Genia
10-Cooper
11-Ioane
12- Giteau
13-Fainga'a
14-O'Connor (no wingers have been outstanding except Digby)
15-Beale

Bench: Tatafu,Slipper,Simmons,Robinson,Phipps,Carter, Shepherd/McCabe

NM: Daley, Wykes, Hodgson

Best Forward: Nathan Sharpe
Best Back: Will Genia
Best Player: Quade Cooper
Most Improved: Beau Robinson

Hope people realise this is a form team, not a wallabies team (before all the Reds/Higginbotham hate starts)

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'm really confused about the Rob Simmons love. I don't think he's a bad player at all, but I've never seen him hit a ruck or make a run the way that other strong set piece locks (e.g. Horwill, Sharpe, Timani, Wykes, etc) do.

As I said, I don't mind the bloke, but I'm confused why people think he's one of the top 3 second rowers in the country...

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'm really confused about the Rob Simmons love. I don't think he's a bad player at all, but I've never seen him hit a ruck or make a run the way that other strong set piece locks (e.g. Horwill, Sharpe, Timani, Wykes, etc) do.

As I said, I don't mind the bloke, but I'm confused why people think he's one of the top 3 second rowers in the country...
I used to think that, but if you watch him, he does a lot of grunt work, whilst the players you mentioned are primarily ball runners. Simmons plays in a Vickerman type of fashion.

G

GC

According to Foxsports, Phipps has made 188 tackles made (leads all halfbacks, equal 5th for the whole competition) and has missed 44 (he has made 81% of his tackles). Percentage wise, thats equal with Valentine (81%) and better than Genia (79%), Sheehan (79%), Burgess (74%) and Phibbs (71%). I think its fair to say he can tackle, and probably has the best defensive work rate out of all of the Australian halfbacks (it might also be the case that the Rebels had to defend more than other teams though).

Phipps missed the most tackles in the entire competition.

http://livescores.smh.com.au/rugby/super15/player-stats.html

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I accidentally deleted my post... but...

Moore has only missed a few games this year, and played 70+ minutes in most of the games he did play...

It's pretty silly not to include him because he supposedly hasn't played enough this year yet he's probably played more than the guy in your starting XV...

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
Phipps missed the most tackles in the entire competition.

Largest sample size for all of the halfbacks in the competition, and he is the second best tackler percentage wise (only behind Duvenage with about 82%) for halfbacks. The Rebels also probably had some of the worst possession stats in the competition, so they were defending for most of their games.

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
Moore funnily enough played the second most minutes out of any Australian hooker (870), compared to Fainga'a (915), TPN (836) and Charles (806). Robinson played 1072 minutes if you want to count him as Australian.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's just my idea of form over the entire S15. Doesn't mean it's right. I'd have Moore as starting hooker for the Wobs BTW.

Actually, you said you can't include Moore because he hasn't played enough, but he's played more than players in your starting XV...

G

GC

Moore funnily enough played the second most minutes out of any Australian hooker (870), compared to Fainga'a (915), TPN (836) and Charles (806). Robinson played 1072 minutes if you want to count him as Australian.

I stand corrected. Moore not included as I thought TPN and CHarles showed more over the entire season then. ;)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Charles over Moore?

Really?

That's some serious trolling...

Moore has probably been the form Australian hooker of the competition over TPN, who can be inspiring if he stays on the field... that's at least debatable...

But there's daylight between those two and Charles or any other hooker in the country...

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
I had a big post showing a comparison of the statistical difference between Moore and Charles, but I accidentally quit. In terms of Fantasy points (which are kinda an aggregate of work rate in a way) Moore was 2nd in the entire competition with an average of 35 points a game (only behind Beale) compared to Charles (12.1 points) who was 22nd for hookers.

G

GC

I happy that you think Moore has been better this S15.

Post your own team - that was the idea of the thread.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
I was going to say the same thing GC!

For me:

Robinson
Moore
Kepu
Horwill
Sharpe
Higgenbotham
Pocock
Samo
Genia
Cooper
Ioane
Giteau
Fa'ainga
Smith
Beale

TPN
Slipper
Wykes
Hodgson
Burgess
JOC (James O'Connor)
Gerrard

There are a number of players who might be in that team but shouldn't come to NZ - Fa'ainga, Smith, Gerrard and Higgenbum being examples (Fa'ainga has not got the attacking nouse that is needed, Higgenbum thinks he s a wing, Gerrard relies too much on kicking and Smith doesnt qualify).

Status
Not open for further replies.