• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Force v Highlanders 2011R16

Status
Not open for further replies.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Well I thought they didn't make a big deal over Nasi Manu's (?) disallowed try that clearly wasn't a knock on. They could've been filthy over that.

Agreed, but they did commentate on it and showed the replay a number of times, as they should.

They did not show the slo-mo replay of Smiths try again or commentate on it when it was obvious they had their doubts. That was my point.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Indeed, Todd, that was very interesting. I noticed their immediate comments, and the subsequent lack of any views as well. That said, the Ref had an opposing point of view than we did on TV, so might have clearly seen the ball on the ground. That was my assumption at the time.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Not only is the lack of pace evident in attack it was also the reason the Bulls scored their 2 tries. They ran right around us both times. Carter's limited game is exposed at 13.
That's nice, but I think you took a wrong turn at the Thread Index.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Well done too the boys!!! Great win there coming from behind. It's going too be a good long weekend!!

Go the force!!!!

S

saulih

I thought the yellow card was harsh. Whilst Stannard did tackle the player without the ball, it was after the ball went past the Highlanders player and therefore should've just been a penalty. He could've easily thought he caught it since the ball was past him.

Totally agree with this. I thought the player did a total "soccer player appeal", and the ref happily obliged to the delight of the fans. The tackler presumed the catch went to hand, and so there was no ill intent in the tackle... penalty sure... but yellow?

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
In the reds game there was a huge hit on a guy without the ball and it wasn't even penalty.

I think standard made the tackle on timing because he tripped and lost sight of things. I have no idea why the highlanders player didnt catch the ball. If he did it wouldn't have looked so bad. That one was Unlucky for standard

Go the force!!!!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
The worst bit about the Stannard's yellow was the way the Kiwi commentators roasted him for being a dirty player, getting up their high horses saying he needs to stamp it out of his game before it becomes entrenched. At full pace it looked like a proffesional foul, but the 4 replays afterwards clearly showed it was even marginal as a penalty. The commentators should have admitted at that point they had been a bit hard on him.

But I don't think any aussies are going to get much sympathy from the Kiwis after what Aussie Stu did to their rugby deity last week.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
The worst bit about the Stannard's yellow was the way the Kiwi commentators roasted him for being a dirty player, getting up their high horses saying he needs to stamp it out of his game before it becomes entrenched. At full pace it looked like a proffesional foul, but the 4 replays afterwards clearly showed it was even marginal as a penalty. The commentators should have admitted at that point they had been a bit hard on him.

But I don't think any aussies are going to get much sympathy from the Kiwis after what Aussie Stu did to their rugby deity last week.

To be fair to the commentators, they did get a little fired up a bit later about the pro foul when the Highlanders tackled Cummins without the ball. There were comments about getting back on their horse, which related to the comments they made about pro fouls during the Stannard issue.

In regard to the Manu non-try, it probably was a try. But swings and round a bouts - their first try was not a try as the ball was never placed, and then Smith got under it. Watch the replay. The commentators started saying something but changed the subject quite quickly...

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
To be fair to the commentators, they did get a little fired up a bit later about the pro foul when the Highlanders tackled Cummins without the ball. There were comments about getting back on their horse, which related to the comments they made about pro fouls during the Stannard issue.

In regard to the Manu non-try, it probably was a try. But swings and round a bouts - their first try was not a try as the ball was never placed, and then Smith got under it. Watch the replay. The commentators started saying something but changed the subject quite quickly...

Have to take the commentators words with a big grain of salt. It was mainly Justin Marshall who kept referring to his "high horse" about professional fouls. To be fair, he has all season so far. He went off a bit half-cocked, and seemed disinclined to back away from what he said despite the replays looking more innocuous - one of the other guys actually noted that the player was not going to get the ball anyway. It was a pretty "soft" yellow, but technically correct. Hardly damning evidence of entrenched behaviour.
In the Reds / Brumbies game, Marto was embarrassing, going on about Vaea - "should be out for the season" and so on. The replays pretty clearly showed he had set for the tackle as Digby started to go down from the other guy - had he not, I suspect the arm would have collected Digby across the chest and been a good hit. But aiming at that level is careless, as you leave no margin for error, so a week off is probably OK. Again, Marto and Cannon were particularly poor in their parochiality, even when the win seemed likely he said the Brumbies had a lot of game in them because they'd been so crap all year. Not exactly what you look for in a good commentator.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Generally I rate the NZ commentators better than the South Africans, but both of them better than the Aussie commentators. The lack of neutrality by the Aussie commentators has me wondering if the Kiwis and Saffers just take the picture feed and then run their own commentary over the top.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The SA ones aren't particularly biased at all but they're just so boring. I don't want them to sound like Marto but Clarkie's got the right idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.