• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Force v Brumbies - Round 3 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Everyone on here knows I'm totally impartial in my views...unlike the ref tonight...whooshkah!

Anyone expecting a competent refereeing performance from Andrew Lees has obviously never seen the man in action before. He's poor at Shute Shield level and his appearance as one of the Australians at Super level underlines the problems in the coaching and selection of referees in this country. We used to produce some of the best, such a shame.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Well, that's why I try to avoid match threads during matches these days...

I think the Brumbies should be disappointed with themselves - despite an incredible performance from their starting and reserve forwards their backline squandered a number of opportunities.....

I hope their backs are on the receiving end of a good flogging right now.

As for the Force - they were admirable in defence, and tough at the breakdown, although rather undisciplined, but I'm not sure what else to say?

Hey Slim, I think you are a mite tough on the backs when the Brumbies elected to take a hundred lineouts near the tryline only for the forwards to turn over possession on 99 occasions.

The Force were so much stronger in defending the maul than most oppositions, and the Brums should have varied the lineout attack on some occasions by sending the ball wide immediately to the backs. Still, continuing to refine the game plan, and on balance it's looking pretty good.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Despite the loss I actually rather enjoyed that game. I always felt the Brumbies would have too much class across the paddock and that proved to be the case. Still, our boys fought valiantly and against a team not contending for the flag this year we might have actually won. The battle at the breakdown was one for the ages. A real dockyard brawl.

DHP and Coleman enhanced their reputations further against quality opposition and Jono Lance is looking very solid at 10. We got mullered in the scrums and that's not surprising, given that the Horsies have one of the best scrums in the comp. The lineout was good until Coleman came off too. The defence was mostly good and committed too. There was no lack of endeavour out there, just some polish.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I thought Fardy was MOTM. Gets through a truck load of defense and offers plenty to the attack. Just as big a pest as Poey at the breakdown, and his offload to Matt To'omua to score was classic.

The scrum again dominated, especially when Makin came on. I won't be surprised if he starts over in SA. Those tight heads late in the second half were very impressive. Incidentally, didn't see anything from the Force rookie THP that justified his inclusion in the starting lineup.

Tom Staniforth is another who will be pressing for selection in the starting team next week. He and Coleman were the stand out locks in this game imo.

For the Force, DHP was again very impressive. Must be the backup No 15 for the Wallabies. Lance and Taps also had very good games. Lack of discipline by Hodgson and McCalman kept the Force under pressure they could have done without.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
An incomprehensible, incompetent and inconsistent effort of rugby refereeing by Andrew Lees and total lack of meaningful input by his three assistants – Damien Mitchelmore, Michael Hogan and Ian Smith.

I marvel at just how Force’s captain Matt Hodgson held things together – especially during the opening 20 minutes.

Lees’ efforts seemed to totally ignore all of the areas which had been stated would be a focus this year.

To name just a few (more will follow as I collect the remaining stats in a 2nd watching):
00:40 – Moore lays on a blatent no arms, shoulder charge clean-out .
01:00 – Clear forward pass by Brumbies right in front of AR.
17:46 – Head tackle on Pocock
17:56 – Moore head tackle on Coleman
19:11 – Round-house arm swing by Arnold which luckily missed DH-P.
30:25 – V clear knock-on by Moore not called
31:34 – Head tackle on Ainsley
32:21 – Very late tackle on Lance by Sio
44:13 – Tessman around head tackle on Pocock
71:06 – Fardy high tackle on Hodgson

A actually thought that after the first 2 rounds there was a genuine effort to stamp out shoulder charges and the head-high stuff that has the potential to cause serious injury.

If that was the case then nobody had informed Andrew Lees that that was the intent.

FOOTNOTE: Forgot to mention the inconsistency and randomness of his decision making at breakdown and scrums.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Thought morahan and DHP looked impressive.

Also Tomane has to be the best winger in the country atm.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
It's interesting - Tomane has been a good winger for a while now, but when I first watched him play I thought he was going to be a superstar (although ironically, I thought at 13.) That might just speak volumes for my ability to understand back play, but, in any case, it's good to see Tomane starting to really come on towards reaching his full potential.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hey Slim, I think you are a mite tough on the backs..........

Nah, too much good work by the forwards undone by some real sloppy work in the backs..........

And again, I'm not at all impressed by Toua - his kicking game in particular is terrible.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
And again, I'm not at all impressed by Toua - his kicking game in particular is terrible.

I am still not sold but he looks OK and is definitely a work in progress and showing some good signs and I will give him some more rope.

But in saying that he need to really settle in and improve his kicking and running (need to run more) and be convincing in defence. What he brings in attack cant come at the expense of defence.

I give him 3 more rounds to cement his spot or its a problem for the Brumbies.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I am still not sold but he looks OK and is definitely a work in progress and showing some good signs and I will give him some more rope.

But in saying that he need to really settle in and improve his kicking and running (need to run more) and be convincing in defence. What he brings in attack cant come at the expense of defence.

I give him 3 more rounds to cement his spot or its a problem for the Brumbies.

Coleman.

Toua has great potential but he hasn't been coached well yet, too many injuries. Needs a lot of one on one time with Bernie.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Rewatching the game now, referee's performance was very disappointing. Our set pieces struggled, could be a symptom of it being the Brumbies strength but our running was very good. DHP and Moz look very dangerous, im worried about how long we will lose Lance for as he seemed to be holding his shoulder when he went off.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
An incomprehensible, incompetent and inconsistent effort of rugby refereeing by Andrew Lees and total lack of meaningful input by his three assistants – Damien Mitchelmore, Michael Hogan and Ian Smith.

I marvel at just how Force’s captain Matt Hodgson held things together – especially during the opening 20 minutes.

Lees’ efforts seemed to totally ignore all of the areas which had been stated would be a focus this year.

To name just a few (more will follow as I collect the remaining stats in a 2nd watching):
00:40 – Moore lays on a blatent no arms, shoulder charge clean-out .
01:00 – Clear forward pass by Brumbies right in front of AR.
17:46 – Head tackle on Pocock
17:56 – Moore head tackle on Coleman
19:11 – Round-house arm swing by Arnold which luckily missed DH-P.
30:25 – V clear knock-on by Moore not called
31:34 – Head tackle on Ainsley
32:21 – Very late tackle on Lance by Sio
44:13 – Tessman around head tackle on Pocock
71:06 – Fardy high tackle on Hodgson

A actually thought that after the first 2 rounds there was a genuine effort to stamp out shoulder charges and the head-high stuff that has the potential to cause serious injury.

If that was the case then nobody had informed Andrew Lees that that was the intent.

FOOTNOTE: Forgot to mention the inconsistency and randomness of his decision making at breakdown and scrums.

44.24 - Morahan chips through and Cubelli obstructs him.

Status
Not open for further replies.