• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia, Sunday 19 November 2:00am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
The reality is if we do happen to lose on the weekend it's not going to be because Hanigan's included in the 23. For the last two games this year we just have to get around the fact that we don't have a game breaking 6 but if players continue to develop as they are now we will likely have 4 or 5 choices before Hanigan, with the likes of Dempsey, Valetini, Naisarani etc, who can all play the hard hitting big running sort of role. Future looks bright if our 5th choice is someone as solid at doing the basic clean out, line-out, defensive work as Hanigan.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hanigan defended pretty well against the Welsh, and his ruck effectiveness is way better too. All in all, he should be proud of his improvements.

What REALLY stuck with me is he ran the ball as head of his pod every time. At test level, this isn't a bug it's a feature and one has to ask - why?

His carrying just isn't test standard.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Our scrum will be targeted.

Thought Sio was a bit lucky last week not to get pinged a few more times. Other than that he had a good game.

We better play our best against the Dodgers.

Tough venue, tough opposition, the Eddie factor as well (AND no Folau)

Scary scenario

I think we've really raised our performances to match the opposition this year (not including bled 1). I think we'll play quite well against England and probably still lose, and we'll drop back a level against Scotland.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Hanigan defended pretty well against the Welsh, and his ruck effectiveness is way better too. All in all, he should be proud of his improvements.

What REALLY stuck with me is he ran the ball as head of his pod every time. At test level, this isn't a bug it's a feature and one has to ask - why?

His carrying just isn't test standard.

Maybe all part of Chubby's Grand Plan to work out our best 23???? I think engineers talk about "testing to destruction"? The only way to see if he really has it is to really test him.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Hanigan is the lightning rod, because god knows Wallaby fans always need one. But he doesn't do a lot wrong, he's just a bit ineffectual with ball in hand.

His defence is accurate and quite physical. His work in the lineout is good, and our work at that set piece has been one of the low-key successes of the season. He rarely makes errors, or gives away silly penalties.

As a stop-gap, future prospect kind of selection it's not the worst. I'd like McCalman to start ahead of him, but with England so strong at the lineout I could understand why he might get the nod again.
I agree he has some good qualities I just don't think his the best 6 in Oz and probably been selected before his ready.. I also think at the time if you wanted a young prospect there were better players then him with higher cellings. And specially after the NRC.. Although he was in the right place at the right time and he works hard

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I agree he has some good qualities I just don't think his the best 6 in Oz and probably been selected before his ready.. I also think at the time if you wanted a young prospect there were better players then him with higher cellings. And specially after the NRC.. Although he was in the right place at the right time and he works hard

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

I don't think anybody could question Hanigan's endeavour or efforts as he certainly puts in a 110% every time - defence very solid but yes just struggles to make an impact over the gain line in attack. I would agree he is not certainly the worst young prospect to be grooming. But definitely other options like Valentini etc waiting in the wings... and of course Dempsey to return from imjury.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't think anybody could question Hanigan's endeavour or efforts as he certainly puts in a 110% every time - defence very solid but yes just struggles to make an impact over the gain line in attack. I would agree he is not certainly the worst young prospect to be grooming. But definitely other options like Valentini etc waiting in the wings. and of course Dempsey to return from imjury.

Apparently Hanigan's just about the best shit talker in footy. Watching Valentini play men at 17 years old last year in Victorian 1st Grade was a sight to behold.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Maybe all part of Chubby's Grand Plan to work out our best 23???? I think engineers talk about "testing to destruction"? The only way to see if he really has it is to really test him.

Interesting analogy and sometimes I wonder if it is very much Cheika psychology.

No engineer would ever expect to reuse a component treated like this though.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Should have a good chance at it too. The only team that really looked in form last weekend was Ireland.

Eddie will want the win as it takes them increasingly closer to NZ.

It would be nice to spoil that.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I really think there are some improvements yet to be made to the matchday squad and would like to see McCalman come into the starting lineup along with Hunt. On the bench, Tui if he's over his injury. Against the Poms, it might also be worth having Timani on the bench to add starch at the end.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Timani never fails to disappoint. I watched him carefully at the BaaBaas/Oz match where he made bugger all ground with the ball all game. For a big solid lad he does a good impersonation of a pussy cat.

His BaaBaas performance wasn't an isolated one.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Yes I'd like to see Mcalman to 8, McMahon to 6, Hanigan to the bench, Hunt to 12, Kerevi to the bench, Tui onto the bench, Speight out. Surely the wings can play out 80 minutes, and if there's an injury we can shuffle someone onto the wing (or possibly bring on Phipps, he's subbed onto the wing a couple of times before and gone pretty well, he's quick and can tackle).

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If Australia beats England we move to second on the rankings.

If we lose we'll still be in 3rd place.
Eddie is secretly bricking it that the Wallabies current undefeated streak (7) is more than twice as long as England's (3).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Should have a good chance at it too. The only team that really looked in form last weekend was Ireland.

Eddie will want the win as it takes them increasingly closer to NZ.

It would be nice to spoil that.

If we lose narrowly to England, would the points change much? I don't really understand the system well, but given we've lost a bunch on the run to them, can they really go up much??

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
If we lose narrowly to England, would the points change much? I don't really understand the system well, but given we've lost a bunch on the run to them, can they really go up much??

If we lose by 1 point even though they have the home advantage they will go up by 0.41 and we will go down by the same amount. The rankings won't change so it's academic really but it exemplifies the silliness of the system. That said, even though the individual points exchanges don't make a lot of sense sometimes the actual rankings generally seem to be pretty right.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
If we win by 1 point (disregarding other results):

1 New Zealand 93.83
2 ↑ (3) Australia 88.87 (+1.59)
3 ↓ (2) England 88.55 (-1.59)
4 Ireland 85.39

If we lose by 1 point:

1 New Zealand 93.83
2 England 90.55 (+0.41)
3 Australia 86.87 (-0.41)
4 Ireland 85.39