• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Don't expect a good old fashioned Aussie ambush

Status
Not open for further replies.

grievous

Tom Lawton (22)
I just dont know how this will go, something between a great win and a 20 pt thrashing, nothing is predictable about the Wallabies these days

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
One of the keys of Links & Reds coaching team success is their proactive method. A plan for each game. To that end why do something that your team doesn't have the people and strengths to execute against that particular opposition. The mantras of Sun Zu come to mind. Contrast with Deans Wallabies team which to me just appears reactive to other teams which dictate the play to a large degree.

I am still at a loss as to why the Wallabies after 3 years under Deans show none of the title winning complete Rugby play that was and is the hallmark of the crusaders. Instrad we get ruck avoidance and play what is in front of you.

Sorry, I simply couldn't let this pass in silence. Sun Szu didn't write mantras. :)

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I just hope the Wallabies win well and prove the naysayers wrong.

It's like a disease in Australian rugby. We are a very good team. For some time we've been arguably the second best team in the world.

And yet, so many people piss and moan. It's not just that they believe we should be the best, but that something is wrong, and heads must roll if we're not the best.

It's not like the other teams don't try. It's not like they'll roll over if we have a half decent gameplan and a theoretically sound conditioning program. These are the best rugby nations on the planet!

Imagine if the fans of Cadel Evans had griped for years that something was wrong, and his coach must be replaced, all those years. They would have sounded like idiots.

To me, the naysayers sound like idiots.

The worst thing is, that if you celebrate the success of our team, then you're a loser because you 'accept second pace'.

Idiots.

Rant over. :)

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
A couple of points from our interview with Kev Horwill tonight that will go up, probably tomorrow night now.

1) They have gameplans that they apply to different teams, but if your 'base plan' isn't functioning well enough you won't get far with the 'extras'

2) What's clear is that there is now far more focus on the tackle contest. Dingo is naturally a backs coach, just as Link is naturally a forwards coach. While you can argue the breakdown is for everyone to be involved in modern rugby, no doubt the onus is still on the pack to get it sorted and Jim Williams obviously wasn't delivering. This is where Nuci has come in. Big Jim is now basically the lineout/re-start coach.
While it feels there's one too many cooks in this kitchen, having a man of Nuci's experience (and forward heritage) looking at this aspect is an interesting and pleasing development to my eyes.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I just hope the Wallabies win well and prove the naysayers wrong.

It's like a disease in Australian rugby. We are a very good team. For some time we've been arguably the second best team in the world.

And yet, so many people piss and moan. It's not just that they believe we should be the best, but that something is wrong, and heads must roll if we're not the best.

It's not like the other teams don't try. It's not like they'll roll over if we have a half decent gameplan and a theoretically sound conditioning program. These are the best rugby nations on the planet!

Imagine if the fans of Cadel Evans had griped for years that something was wrong, and his coach must be replaced, all those years. They would have sounded like idiots.

To me, the naysayers sound like idiots.

The worst thing is, that if you celebrate the success of our team, then you're a loser because you 'accept second pace'.

Idiots.

Rant over. :)

I also hope the Wallabies win well and prove the naysayers wrong but I can't support your rant, my friend.

Anyone who earns success has critics - including Dingo Deans. You can rail against them every day, and even browbeat a few into submission, but there will always be more. When you let critics bother you unduly then you become the cause of your own problems. That makes you- the idiot.

People will piss and moan; pay them less mind and be cool. There is no need to even blindly ignore them, because sometimes (just sometimes) they are right.

Even your Cadel Evans example can be seen in that light. Something was wrong. He did not- just 'accept second place'. The guy changed his preparation and changed his mental approach. Replaced a whole team. That gave him the chance to win and now he's a fucking hero.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hmmm. The Reds actually won a couple games based on breakdown dominance alone - the two that most stand out to me are the Stormers and Chiefs games. There were other games where they dominated the breakdown, but won through other means too.

WJ; did you actually watch more Reds than the two vs the Tahs and the finals?

If there's a lesson you can take to test rugby from the Reds, it's that you need a pack of forwards fronting up and willing to do the physical work at the breakdown to succeed. In fact, the first game against the Tahs and second against the Brumbies were games where the Reds didn't show up at the breakdown and got rightly beaten. You can say the same thing about the first Force game, but the Reds pulled that win out of the hat.

T

TOCC

There were definetly games whent he Reds dominated the breakdown, and then there were games where the Reds played with a different style..

I dont see why this is such a issue, every team this year was dominated at the breakdown at one point or another, neither the Crusaders, Waratahs, Stormers or Reds can lay claim to been the dominant team at the breakdown each week.

Status
Not open for further replies.