• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Denno's Diary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Just in from NSWRU media:

Denno’s Diary said:
Each week throughout June, Dave Dennis reports from inside Qantas Wallaby camp as Australia contests Castrol EDGE Rugby Internationals against Scotland and Wales. In episode one, Dave shares his emotions at making his Test debut in Tuesday night’s 9-6 defeat to Scotland in the appalling wet and windy conditions of Newcastle’s Hunter Stadium.

Episode 1: Of all the places to make my debut...

Tuesday night had been a few years in the making and to make my debut in Newcastle had a special meaning for me and my family.

My dad was born and raised in Bolwarra and represented the Maitland Blacks, who played in the local Hunter competition so it’s kind of ironic that the game took place up here. It’s also extra special as my late grandmother Betty, the rock of our family, left us only two years ago and spent her final days down the road at John Hunter hospital. I still remember the good times spent as a kid coming to visit Grandma at Bolwarra and heading right past the stadium to Newcastle for fish and chips at the beach.

Many members of my family made the trek from Sydney to the game as well as old school mates and teachers, all of whom have had an influence on me in one way or another. I also had extended family members who live in the Hunter region attend the game too. This meant a lot to me.

It was also special to have my partner Mo'onia at the game watching and she managed to remind me that I only have another 59 caps to go to catch her 60 appearances for the Australian netball team!

The game itself was tough with the wet and windy conditions playing a big role. I will remember the night for being my debut but also for the conditions – I’ve never played in anything like them - but I'm sure the Scots enjoyed them with all that rain, wind and icy temperatures. As it turns out, Scotland managed the game better than us and kicked a late penalty to win. I'm am proud to have earnt my first cap but to lose they way we did was extremely disappointing.

After the game, it was a bizarre feeling. I was presented with my first cap and some nice words were said but the fact that we had just lost a Test match was tough to handle. Individually it was a milestone but it’s a team game and as a group we were shattered.

There's disappointment within the camp after the loss but also a level of excitement as we still have a three Test series to play against Wales. We head up to Brisbane next knowing there is a need for significant improvement and hopefully we get a dry track so we can play some exciting rugby. The team was announced this morning and I’m involved again on Saturday. I’m on the bench but hopefully I’ll get the chance to be part of a decent performance and a big win opening against the Welsh.

Cheers,
Dave

Source: waratahs.com.au

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm torn about players writing columns or diaries. Some a gems (Laurie weeks, Adam frier) some are not (this one, drew Mitchell). Goes for coaches too, some great (link) and others embarrasing (burke). maybe only front rowers should be allowed...

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
I will never get back that couple of minutes it took to read that dull, inconsequential, formulaic, unnsightful piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.