• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Crusaders v Waratahs, Round 13, 20 May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This match is on Friday evening at 5:30 AEST.

There is talk that Jed Holloway is a chance to make his return although my guess is that they will give him one more week and make sure he is fit for the Chiefs game at home.

Dave Horwitz will presumably start at 12 for the injured Kurtley Beale. Perhaps Jim Stewart will join the bench as a replacement centre.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Why? It's trendy around here to talk down anything the Tahs do, and predict the other team to win comfortably every week.

Certainly the Crusaders are deserving favourites and should win, but the Tahs are in great form and are starting to really click. If they can get their defensive patterns working then they can win this game, as they should create enough try scoring opportunities throughout.

Losing Beale is a big blow, but Horwitz is competent enough and Folau is now in the best form I've seen him in for at least a year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think this game will be reasonably close. I thought the Tahs played their best game of the season against the Bulls and things are going quite nicely.

I fully expect the Crusaders to win but I think the Tahs will keep it tight.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think it's fair to see that if the Tahs were to win this (and no, I don't expect them to) they are genuine contenders.

The loss of Beale is a huge blow imo, while I think Horwitz is fine, and would be an able replacement for most 12's in the country, Beale in the form he was in is the most potent attacking back in Aus, and the one who can really make things happen out of nothing. Horwitz is good, but Beale he ain't!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Why? It's trendy around here to talk down anything the Tahs do, and predict the other team to win comfortably every week.

Certainly the Crusaders are deserving favourites and should win, but the Tahs are in great form and are starting to really click. If they can get their defensive patterns working then they can win this game, as they should create enough try scoring opportunities throughout.

Mainly because the Tahs are back to playing proper rugby sides after a couple of weeks playing the mediocre ones and they aren't that good

What you deem "trendy" I deem being realistic, did you watch the Crusaders\Highlanders game last Friday?

That was simply rugby of a level the Tahs aren't near at the moment

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't know if it was as good as you're saying fatprop.

Clearly the New Zealand sides are the benchmark this season but I'm not sure they're phenomenally better than everyone else right now.

The Crusaders got caught out through the midfield multiple times and Matt Faddes had a big game at 13 for the Highlanders. If the Tahs play well I can certainly see Folau making plenty of metres there.

I'll be surprised if it isn't a close game. The Tahs are playing with plenty of confidence right now.

The Bulls didn't look good but they had been undefeated over 7 games before they lost to the Brumbies last week.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The Bulls were 6-2-1 coming in to Saturday, I hardly think that makes them 'mediocre'. The fact is the Tahs made them look mediocre, as they did the Cheetahs the week before. And the week before that they won in South Africa.

It's a tried and true habit of Tahs fans, talk down our wins, talk up the opposition.

The evidence suggests the Crusaders are a better side, sure. I was just objecting to the prediction the Tahs will get flogged. I think that's a little bit silly considering they have now won four on the trot, and are clearly hitting a bit of form.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
How many NZ sides are part of the 6 Bulls wins?
Izzy running off Horwitz is a much lesser animal than Izzy running off KB (Kurtley Beale).
Saders just have to go through the motions to win this.
We just don't have enough strike power IMO.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How many NZ sides are part of the 6 Bulls wins?

None. South African sides either play NZ or Australian sides, not both.

If you were predicting a Tahs win, there'd be something wrong. ;)

As I've said (as well as everyone else), I expect the Crusaders to win, but I don't think their form in the last couple of weeks has been as good as it was before that when they destroyed the Brumbies in Canberra. They need to do more than go through the motions here.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It was a rhetorical question,the SA teams flatter each other:)
After the Brumbies game, the Saders pulled the Reds pants down,then played in a game that looked a grade above the Oz game that followed it.
I hope I'm wrong, but they seem to be a grade above our boys to me.

G

galumay

I am totally in agreement with those that find it unlikely the Tahs can win this one. All the points have been well made, Tahs havent really beaten any front running (kiwi) teams, beale is a massive loss, kiwi sides are just at a different level.

Its all been said and I agree, Saders by 20+. Of course its a game played between 2 sides and anything can happen, but realistically the Tahs need everything to go their way to come out on top of any of the kiwi sides this season. (ok, excepting the bloos!)

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I am totally in agreement with those that find it unlikely the Tahs can win this one. All the points have been well made, Tahs havent really beaten any front running (kiwi) teams, beale is a massive loss, kiwi sides are just at a different level.

Its all been said and I agree, Saders by 20+. Of course its a game played between 2 sides and anything can happen, but realistically the Tahs need everything to go their way to come out on top of any of the kiwi sides this season. (ok, excepting the bloos!)

You certainly predict Waratah losses often, and with relish, galumay!

Tahs by ten with another step up in form.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I don't know if it was as good as you're saying fatprop.

Clearly the New Zealand sides are the benchmark this season but I'm not sure they're phenomenally better than everyone else right now.

The Crusaders got caught out through the midfield multiple times and Matt Faddes had a big game at 13 for the Highlanders. If the Tahs play well I can certainly see Folau making plenty of metres there.

I'll be surprised if it isn't a close game. The Tahs are playing with plenty of confidence right now.

The Bulls didn't look good but they had been undefeated over 7 games before they lost to the Brumbies last week.
You were the bloke talking up the Tahs prior to the Highlanders game, I seem to recall :)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The evidence suggests the Crusaders are a better side, sure. I was just objecting to the prediction the Tahs will get flogged. I think that's a little bit silly considering they have now won four on the trot, and are clearly hitting a bit of form.

We're certainly on the improve, although the Beale injury is a significant pothole in the road to the semis.

I don't think we'll necessary get flogged, but at the very least we go in as the underdog.

IMO the top 4 Kiwi sides are a class above everyone else in the competition at the moment.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Of course its a game played between 2 sides and anything can happen, but realistically the Tahs need everything to go their way to come out on top of any of the kiwi sides this season. (ok, excepting the bloos!)

The Blues in Auckland can be a hard nut to crack. I am nervous about the Brumbies meeting them there in the penultimate round.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
On the season so far you'd be backing the Crusaders, especially after watching them in that utterly epic game against the Highlanders last weekend. Still, the Tahs aren't without a chance, but they'll have to smash the Crusaders forwards in every department to give the weakened backline enough pill to do their thing. No KB (Kurtley Beale) makes the job really tough but the other blokes have been playing pretty well too and their recent form is excellent.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Looks like Holloway is fit and will start at 8.

After a couple of lacklustre performances I thought Palu had easily his best game this season against the Bulls. Was far more effective.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Maybe starting with Cliffy for 45/50 minutes and ease Jed back off the bench could be the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.