• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Crusaders v Sharks - 2011R06

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'm just starting too watch the crusaders sharks game and it feels like a test is about too start. The way the commentators talk about seeing some of these guys play just makes me realize how lucky I am too live in Australia and be able too go and watch a game almost every week.

What a buzz.

Go the force!!!!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
It was a cracker of a game, the best so far, exceeding the Crusaders/Blues belter in round one. Waratahs/Crusaders was a good game too. Funny how the Saders have been one half of three of the four best games so far (the other one was Bulls/Stormers).

I doubt that the UK will let Super rugby play too many more games like that over there. People will start to get dissatisfied with the dross they usually get served up. :)

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rug...ch-report.html
Crusaders 44 Sharks 28: match report

By Mick Cleary 9:00PM BST 27 Mar 2011
1 Comment

Breathless at Twickenham. The action was fast, fierce and unrelenting, the brand motif of Super rugby. They came in their thousands (35,094) and they liked what they saw: racy, pacy, and a joy to watch.

The first Super 15 contest to be staged in the northern hemisphere was organised to help raise funds for the Red Cross Christchurch earthquake appeal, but what was born out of adversity might even one day become an entity in its own right. There would have been few dissenting voices to be heard at Twickenham on Sunday at the thought of Super rugby becoming an annual fixture.

Of course there were times when more hard-core tackling would have helped but the majority of the scores were completed with the precision of a surgeon making a delicate cut.

It took a long time for the Sharks to show their fangs but when they did, notably either side of half-time when they scored three tries, they too threatened to sweep the opposition away. Their spirited fightback made it a real contest, the two sides going the length of the field for near scores in the closing seconds.

Crusaders, seven times champions, showed all the attributes that have made them the pre-eminent force south of the equator. It was fantasy footie, total rugby, a riot of running with All Black fly-half Dan Carter, who scored 22 points, in supreme form. Any side with aspirations to do something at the Rugby World Cup this year will have one mission in mind – get Carter. He was deft and devastating in equal measure, sharp-brained and just as sharp-heeled.
The man alongside him, Sonny Bill Williams, was as potent, his ability to offload in the tackle a real weapon. Boy, can he run some angles. It is a double act that is shaping up to rule the world. The only concern was that Carter hobbled off in the second half, although only a minor hamstring strain was reported. There were injuries, also, to No 8 Kieran Read and lock Sam Whitelock.
The huge expat community in the capital makes the staging of such matches an attractive proposition. Money invariably talks in these matters. Organisers were hoping to raise £1 million from a week of sustained fund-raising for the earthquake appeal. The efforts put in by so many should be applauded. The cause was worthy, the response terrific.
The Crusaders earned all the plaudits for their on-field performance, fired by the irrepressible midfield axis of Carter and Williams, but it takes two to play, and none of this would have happened without the co-operation of the Sharks.
This was their fourth game in four countries over the past month. They left Durban at 6am on Friday and were bustled out of Twickenham with barely time for a shower to catch a 9pm flight back to South Africa to prepare for the Super 15 leaders, the Stormers next weekend.
Their commitment to the cause was all the more admirable given that floods in Natal recently caused over 200 people to lose their lives.
The Sharks, who had lost only one game prior to this sixth round of matches, were dozy during the opening exchanges. Crusaders took advantage scoring four tries by the half-hour mark through Carter and their back three of Sean Maitland, Israel Dagg and Zac Guildford.
At 34-10, Crusaders must have thought their work for the afternoon was done, for they allowed Sharks fly-half, Jacques-Louis Potgieter the softest of tries from the restart. The blip quickly turned into something altogether more threatening when Sharks lock Alistair Hargraves and wing Odwa Ndungane touched down shortly after half-time, closing the deficit to nine points.
Suddenly it was the Crusaders having to suck deep to draw in air. Suddenly it was the South African side on the front foot. It made for some riveting passages of play.
Whoever cracked would lose. In the end, it was the Crusaders who had that bit extra to offer. It took a beautiful inside pass from replacement scrum-half Kahn Foutuali’i to make the opening, Guildford taking it on before releasing Maitland for the decisive score in the 66th minute.
There was still drama to come, Crusaders finishing with 14 men after using up their replacement bench and seeing Whitelock limp off. The final whistle came as a relief only to the players. The crowd wanted more. Much more. Perhaps one day they will get their wish.
Match details
Crusaders: I Dagg; S Maitland, R Fruean (A Whitelock 64), S B Williams, Z Guildford; D Carter, A Ellis (K Foutuali’i 64); W Crockett, C Flynn (Q MacDonald 51), O Franks (B Franks 45), B Thorn (C Jack 70), S Whitelock, G Whitelock, M Todd, K Read (capt) (J Poff h-t).
Tries: Maitland (2), Carter, Dagg, Guildford.
Conversions: Carter (4), Berquist.
Penalty goals: Carter (3).
Sharks: L Ludik; O Ndungane, S Terblanche, M Bosman, L Mvovo (JP Pietersen 51); J-L Potgieter (A Jacobs 54), C McLeod (C Hoffman 70); J Smit (T Mtawarira 51), B du Plessis, J du Plessis (E van Staten 74), S Sykes (G Mostert 64), A Hargreaves, K Daniel, W Alberts (J Botes 68), R Kankowski.
Tries: Alberts, Potgieter, Hargraves, Ndungane.
Conversions: Potgieter.
Penalty goals: Potgieter (2).
Referee: S Walsh (Australia).

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
A terrific game. I though the Sharks played their best game of the year though losing and the Crusaders were the Crusaders.

The Sharks showed that the only valid way to beat them is to bash them in the forward contests with counter rucking and counter-counter rucking - plus finishing fresh with good bench players.

If the Sharks keep playing like that we may have to add a third to the present consensus (south of the Tweed) that the Stormers and the Crusaders are the likely finalists.

A lot of water still has to flow though.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Had a good look at him as I have just started refereeing here in Scotland, and appreciated his performance, no big issues there...

Yeah he made some mistakes but was quite consistent. He refs out of Australia now I think.

Go the force!!!!

D

daz

I doubt that the UK will let Super rugby play too many more games like that over there. People will start to get dissatisfied with the dross they usually get served up. :)

Ah, dross. The backbone of Britain.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Steve Walsh is doing well this year and seems to be chatting less. The two would seem to go together. Not to the point: but I think that Dickinson is going OK too.

Since Walsh was given the biggest game of the year so far, England v France (though he had to pull out later), it looks like he is higher rated than Dickinson these days. Since it is unlikely Oz will get 2 refs on the RWC panel it does not look good for Dicko.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Steve Walsh is doing well this year and seems to be chatting less. The two would seem to go together. Not to the point: but I think that Dickinson is going OK too.

Since Walsh was given the biggest game of the year so far, England v France (though he had to pull out later), it looks like he is higher rated than Dickinson these days. Since it is unlikely Oz will get 2 refs on the RWC panel it does not look good for Dicko.

Is there a rule that you can only have one ref per country? If so the Saffer ref's are going to be pissed. If the choices are on merit and current form I'd expect both to be on the team.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Geez...I hate the Crusaders BUT...how good do they look??

SBW is looking more dangerous with every game he plays and is becoming almost unstoppable....he's running beautiful lines, his off-loading is getting even better and his defensive awareness is improving with every outing.......Ma'a should be worried...

Proud Pig

Charlie Fox (21)
His combination with Fruen is frightening. I wouldn't be surprised to see both of them in the ABs squad before the RWC.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
His combination with Fruen is frightening. I wouldn't be surprised to see both of them in the ABs squad before the RWC.

I really like Jared Payne....he works really hard and makes good decisions - and he's deceptively quick I reckon. His try on the weekend was fantastic.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Is there a rule that you can only have one ref per country?
No; but as you indicate: the SAffer refs are very good then you have the usual Euro suspects. The French referees are poor now and their best, Garces, did not get a 6N gig but Poite did.

Kaplan was demoted during 6N but is likely to be reinstated because he is so experienced.

Walsh looks like he will be in for being awarded the big 6N match and others employed in the 6N were Joubert, Poite, Barnes, Clancy, Pearson, B.Lawrence, Kaplan, Owens and Rolland. These are the guys assessed by the IRB as the cream, not necessarily those rated highest by me.

That makes 10; so if 12 are in the panel as there was in 2007, it leaves room for just two others and you will have referees such as Dickinson, Pollock, M.Lawrence, Jonker, Lewis, Garces and Fitzgibbon in the mix. If some in the top 10 go down to the 2nd tier (in my assessment of what I think the IRB think) it doesn't make the chances of the other 7 guys much better.

But if Walsh was categorised as a NZ referee rugby politics would make the chances of Dickinson being included a lot better; though it would by no means guarantee it, as it didn't 4 years ago.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)

Good to hear - I think if he can keep his ego in check he'll be a very fine referee. Am glad the ARU gave him another chance - that confidence in him seems to have done him the world of good.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
No; but as you indicate: the SAffer refs are very good then you have the usual Euro suspects. The French referees are poor now and their best, Garces, did not get a 6N gig but Poite did.

Kaplan was demoted during 6N but is likely to be reinstated because he is so experienced.

Walsh looks like he will be in for being awarded the big 6N match and others employed in the 6N were Joubert, Poite, Barnes, Clancy, Pearson, B.Lawrence, Kaplan, Owens and Rolland. These are the guys assessed by the IRB as the cream, not necessarily those rated highest by me.

That makes 10; so if 12 are in the panel as there was in 2007, it leaves room for just two others and you will have referees such as Dickinson, Pollock, M.Lawrence, Jonker, Lewis, Garces and Fitzgibbon in the mix. If some in the top 10 go down to the 2nd tier (in my assessment of what I think the IRB think) it doesn't make the chances of the other 7 guys much better.

But if Walsh was categorised as a NZ referee rugby politics would make the chances of Dickinson being included a lot better; though it would by no means guarantee it, as it didn't 4 years ago.

I have heard that they are taking only 10 referees to RWC and I think you will find that the 10 will be the 10 from 6 Nations. So Dickinson out and Walsh in. Dickinson has been out of favour since the Italy - All Black Test of 2009. If selected, Walsh will officially be an Australian rep not NZ if that means anything to you.

Dmac

Frank Row (1)
I try not to be too hard on refs if only because its a job I wouldn't ever want to take on. I was at the game and was rather dissaopinted with Steve Walsh.

Missed a lot of knock ons and forward passes. Franks was binding on Smits arm on sharks put in but not called by walsh. At no time was any forward required to stay on their feet at ruck time and just dived over the top all day.

Yes he was consistant in his calls, which is a bonus and kept an eye on offsides. Seemed to manage the players ok but not a great performance overall in my book because he just missed too many of the obvious calls. Still no more howlers than the average player makes. But if he is the best in Aus then ther must be a real shortage in quality refs out there.

Good game though, good crowd, great conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.