• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Crusaders v Reds Prelim 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
IIRC, at least in the eyes of the commentators, in the last encounter in NZ there were legitimately identified ref howlers (was it one B Lawrence in charge?) at scrum (and maybe other) times with, as but one instance, a Cru prop placing his hand to the ground to save the Cru scrum and the AR right there totally missed it.

It was a very close game.

Don't forget the McCaw screening run that was completely ignored by Lawrence!

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
I'm not super confident. If things start going wrong early I can see us getting blown out. I'm going with my head on this one, Crusaders by 14.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Real litmus test of whether QC (Quade Cooper) has actually matured as we have all been saying. If he and Genia have blinders (obviously working off a pack that is at least holding their own) then the Reds can win this.

As always though, it will be heart in mouth stuff with Cooper and I'd say we'll see a really close match. If anyone can beat them, it's the enigmatic Reds side that rises to the occasion.

Will go with the heart and say reds by 5.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Weather will be nice if not a slight bit on the chilly side in ChCh on the night. Light breeze (6.5km/h) and clear skies with no rain so the ball and grass should be nice and dry.

I was going to try and make a prediction about the way the Reds will play down here but that is one of the best things about watching the Reds, no way to tell exactly which game plan they will come out with until game day :D

With Lance at 12 though I'd expect the ball to go wide fairly early and the Reds will definitely look to isolate Guildford/Dagg and test their tackling. Think the selection of Schatz/Gill/Quirk reinforces this as they will look to gain dominance at the wider rucks with superior mobility in the back row and even 4/5. Depending on how much of the pill they have I'd expect a Digby-ball to CFS off of a line out around 20-30mins, will likely be a huge moment in the game. If the Crusaders can shut down the inside option it will put far more pressure on Genia to create some magic on his own again. If CFS can penetrate, the Crusaders are going to have some serious headaches. The Shipperley that played against the Lions needs to show up in ChCh.

Reds 15 (2 tries, 1 conv, 1 pen) Crusaders 14 (1 try, 3 pens)

Reactions: gel

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'll be cheering the Reds, but I find it hard to see the Crusaders being beaten at home.
I think the Crusaders loose trio are better than a few are giving credit for; well, more that the Reds trio are not so much better, though they do work as a good unit. Interesting match-up.
Lineout and breakdown the key. Crusaders are miserly at lineout for opposition.
The Reds have enough danger players to capitalise on good possession, if they get it. Should be engrossing.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
always want the Reds (and any other Australian franchise) to win against NZ teams - stick it into our little cousey bros - TRIBALISM at its best (until the Wallabies v AB'S)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Weather will be nice if not a slight bit on the chilly side in ChCh on the night. Light breeze (6.5km/h) and clear skies with no rain so the ball and grass should be nice and dry.

I was going to try and make a prediction about the way the Reds will play down here but that is one of the best things about watching the Reds, no way to tell exactly which game plan they will come out with until game day :D

With Lance at 12 though I'd expect the ball to go wide fairly early and the Reds will definitely look to isolate Guildford/Dagg and test their tackling. Think the selection of Schatz/Gill/Quirk reinforces this as they will look to gain dominance at the wider rucks with superior mobility in the back row and even 4/5. Depending on how much of the pill they have I'd expect a Digby-ball to CFS off of a line out around 20-30mins, will likely be a huge moment in the game. If the Crusaders can shut down the inside option it will put far more pressure on Genia to create some magic on his own again. If CFS can penetrate, the Crusaders are going to have some serious headaches. The Shipperley that played against the Lions needs to show up in ChCh.

Reds 15 (2 tries, 1 conv, 1 pen) Crusaders 14 (1 try, 3 pens)

mate, like your "crystal ball" - hope it was clear when you read it - looks good to me

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
cyclopath The line out battle should be a bit of a treat! One of the most successful attacking line outs in Super XV (believe they were 2nd going into last rd) v. the best defensive line out :)

Scrubber2050 I learned well from the Greg Growden school of throwing shit at the wall until something sticks

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
Picture%201.jpg

But it was the chipmunks who won in the end:)

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Reds won't go wide early. They will play up the middle of the field with a short passing game. CFS will play the role we see Digby play so often. That is why Moz hasn't been chosen to start. It is the way the Tahs played them and it worked. They will try and tighten the Saders up then you will see the likes of Shipperly injected and Moz later in the game.

I also expect us to go hard at the breakdown and pour numbers in early on. There will be nothing flash in this game to start with as we will have to work bloody hard to break their systems down.

GO THE REDS

Status
Not open for further replies.