• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Cringeworthy Kearns/Martin moments.....minutes......hours......

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Greg Clarke was back to his tedious best at the Wellington Sevens.

"That's not the start they wanted". "That's just the start they wanted". "Team X will have to be the next to score". Et cetera, et bloody cetera. Over and over again. No insights, no depth, nothing except mindless, repetitious, childish drivel. The Keewee commentators absolutely put him to shame, giving the viewer some good and pertinent information about the game, and an occasional insight into the background of the players.

Cliches and claptrap, that's all we get from the usual crew.

I wish I could've gotten a dollar for each time Clarke said something about how young the Australian team was in the QF against NZ. After about the 10th time, I think everyone had realised that the team had a lot of young players in it.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
K O'Keefe is the reason I no longer listen to ABC cricket. I want to listen to commentary, not someone who is more interested in himself than the game.

Pretty much the same reason I cannot listen to the Fox commentary dribble. '

Why is it all about dumbing down? Surely somebody can realise that they are losing viewers because of this utterly infantile self-agrandisement?

Guess I just getting old :(

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
There are times when Skull goes off topic even I despair; his moments of hilarity/laughter/silliness even distract him! And when he wanders off on his distractions he seems incapable of getting back on track, hence his remarks about Victoria's (or whomever's) disapprovals. BUT, when Kerry O'Keeffe talks about cricket there's no better commentator: his descriptions of the players' capabilities, his knowledge of their playing careers (as it affects the game in hand) and his summing of what's happening on the field in front of him are second to none. O'Keeffe does have the advantage of radio where he must describe the play in detail, whereas Benaud took the tack if the play broadcast to the viewers didn't need any addition from him he didn't add anything.

Reckon I'm older than you, Roundawhile.

BTW, my young bloke (21) and his mates reckon O'Keeffe's hilarious, he's a bit of a cult figure in that set. Work that one out.....

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
After tonight's Rebels Force game it seems that Tim Horan and Brendan Cannon are trying to challenge Greg Martin as the worst commentators in Super rugby.

As ex-players, can't we at least expect you to know the laws of the game?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The pie in the face segment on Rugby HQ Last night from Brendon Cannon was about as funny as a dog food and shampoo cocktail at a Fresher Orientation week function.

What possible merit did that little gem have?

lemoen

Ted Fahey (11)
I love the Aussie commentators. I remember a few years back SuperSport started sending their guys over to for the Bok games, wow, was I furious. It's already painful listening to them in SA, now to rob me of the AUS and NZ comm.
Glad Victor Matfield went back to coaching. Last year David Campese was alright.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Greg Clark just needs to remember that in the world of commentary less is usually more. He's there as the sports journalist to present the show and call the match - that's what he should stick to.

Of the so-called experts, with the exception of Rod Kafer, they've proved that the theory that good players don't necessarily make good coaches extends to commentators.

Kearns has moments of reasonably articulate insight, but the rest of them are overpaid even if they're doing it for nothing.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The pie in the face segment on Rugby HQ Last night from Brendon Cannon was about as funny as a dog food and shampoo cocktail at a Fresher Orientation week function.

I've never understood why some sports shows engage in such skits. They're rarely even mildly amusing.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Of the so-called experts, with the exception of Rod Kafer, they've proved that the theory that good players don't necessarily make good coaches extends to commentators.

Kearns has moments of reasonably articulate insight, but the rest of them are overpaid even if they're doing it for nothing.
Kearns does nothing to hide that he has biases and works with them. He was a forward in the tight five and that just means he is used to seeing rucks and mauls - he wasn't a great ball runner. This means he is only really there for his experience in those fields.

Kafer is clever, but he needs to be paired with Nick and Kearns to get the best out of him.

T

TOCC

what a ridiculous addition to the show that was, its practically a segment straight out of the NRL's The Footy Show which is a shining example of boganism in Australia.....

Well done Canno, any respect you earned for punching Mealamu in the face went out the window when you dressed up like a clown and threw a pie in a persons face...

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
what a ridiculous addition to the show that was, its practically a segment straight out of the NRL's The Footy Show which is a shining example of boganism in Australia...

Well done Canno, any respect you earned for punching Mealamu in the face went out the window when you dressed up like a clown and threw a pie in a persons face.

Didnt really see the point in it myself, whats wrong with the pundits just tipping a team to win, giving some reasons why instead of going for a cheap laugh.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Trouble is no-one with an IQ over 50 actually laughs.

If I want to watch pie fights, I'll find an old 3 stooges show from the 60s on DVD. I found them hilarious when I was about 8.

If I'm watching a rugby or rugby league show, I'd like them to stick to that. (Which is why I gave up watching The Footy Show about 15 years ago).

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
what a ridiculous addition to the show that was, its practically a segment straight out of the NRL's The Footy Show which is a shining example of boganism in Australia...

Well done Canno, any respect you earned for punching Mealamu in the face went out the window when you dressed up like a clown and threw a pie in a persons face.
Can someone explain the theory behind it - i wasnt concentrating, looked up and there it was.
Does Canno just decide who gets it or do they have some contest prior that determines it?
Piggies & Princesses was a point of difference between the Rugby Club and the various Footy Shows

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Jeez, have never heard so much whinging over a 30 second skit. It wasn't brilliant, wasn't terrible either. Just him giving his tips in an unusual/amusing way.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Surprise, surprise, the commentary last night for the Reds/Brumbies was not too bad.

Now if Clarkey can only stop his stupid habit of using the future tense to describe something that has already happened (and which we can usually see with our own eyes, anyway), I might actually turn the volume up a bit. For a while, anyway.

T

TOCC

Jeez, have never heard so much whinging over a 30 second skit. It wasn't brilliant, wasn't terrible either. Just him giving his tips in an unusual/amusing way.

Barbarian, it's a cheap form of humor and its almost insulting that they think this sort of humor is what appeals to their viewers. Next week they might as well include a "crack the fat" segment.. Heck, they have had 4month to plan that show, was that really the best they could come up with?

The show should be emulating soccers World Game show on SBS which essentially is a weekly wrap-up of games as well as interviews an opinions from current/former players an coaches. Not the bogan/toilet humor of the NRLs 'the footy show'..

terry j

Ron Walden (29)

Ah, was THAT what it was, a tip? I must admit that never occurred to me. Anyway, is it a selection-the guy/team who gets hit is the winner?

Or is it the guy/team who get's the pie the tipped loser, ie a non-selection

Either way, bloody stupid really.

'it was only thirty seconds'...true. Three seconds of getting hit then five or so slow motion replays??? C'mon.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It would have been hilarious if Canno had been dressed up as a girl,when he did the 3 stooges routine.
He can mix it up a bit and dress as one of the village people each week.There are so many options, the Footy show has decades of material that they can borrow.
Maybe they can get Fatty on the Show as well, I am guessing he knows as much about Rugby as he does about Mungo(not much).

Status
Not open for further replies.