• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Cringeworthy Kearns/Martin moments.....minutes......hours......

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Of the South African commentators, I find Matthew Pearce and Joel Stransky to be the best.

Quite right. I really enjoy Stransky's input into a game. He reads the game so well. Bladen has flashes nowadays, but still gets genuinely excited by good rugby, no matter who is playing it.

Justin Marshall is by far the best of the Kiwis. He plays a similar role to Stransky I feel.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I also cannot stand Brendan Cannon. Just like Mark Geyer, everytime he opens his mouth, you can pretty much guarantee it will be stupid. It would be almost impossible to teach Canno a second language, as he is unable to enunciate properly in English!

Without a doubt, you can tell when the rugby is on in my house and he is commentating, as all you will hear is "shut up Canno, shut up Canno, SHUT UP CANNO".

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
well it is Fox after all :p

anyway is it possible if you do subscribe, to switch commentators? I quite liked the kiwi ones in the reds-crusader match, one of whom is Justin Marshall i believe.

On sky sports for the English soccer it's possible to change the commentary, one of the options is a commentary by 2 fans, one from each team that produces some gems. I think for the super rugby the commentary team is determined by who the home team are and there's no alternative, but I could be wrong on that. In Ireland and the UK we get the same commentary as you guys do, not sure about the pre-game, half time, post game analysis though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From the Australian Barbarians game vs Canada last year, I wish there was an option on Foxtel to get random banter from Baabaa, Timmsy and Moses or whoever was involved in that production.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Is it Craig Dowd doing some of the Kiwi games? Whoever it is (it is a AB prop), he is just fantastic.

On the Aus commentators, the best match this season was on when Fox they lost the commentary feed and I ended up with the sound effects and the ref feed for 20 minutes.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Nisbo, Ian Smith and Marto piss me off. They are oxygen theifs. The SA commentators are alright. They whinge and bitch with bias sometimes but they excel at bringing knowledgable insight into their commentary and they are not smug in how they do it. They can be a bit bland which doesn't help when you stay up to the wee hours of the morning to catch the games in SA. I have come to enjoy Victor Matfield's insight this season. Very humble, straight to the point and his knowledge of the game is current. TJ is good and I like the former player commentators in the NZ ranks like Marshall, Fox and Preston. I miss John Drake. I like Kearns though I maybe biased because I still see his onfield contributions when I look at him. I don't rate Clarke, Horan or Cannon. Kafe is overated and loves pointing out the obvious with the benifit of 20/20 hindsight. Personally I think he also gives off a smug vibe but that is just my opinion.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I cannot listen to Marto without thinking of the shit he pours on rugby on brekkie radio, I don't mind Kearns, as long as he not with Marto, but all in all apart from Marto I can live with most commentators.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
I cannot listen to Marto without thinking of the shit he pours on rugby on brekkie radio, I don't mind Kearns, as long as he not with Marto, but all in all apart from Marto I can live with most commentators.

Are you able to elaborate on this Dan54? I've seen you write this before. Never having listened to Triple M in the morning, I really am quite curious as to what he would say about rugby on the show?

R

ripper868

Great to see this thread didn't become a whingefest about the commentators and has provided some real one liner commentary gaffs that gave me have a little chuckle.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Would it also be too much for them to desist with the douche bag nicknames where everything ends in "o" I couldn't imagine Gordon Bray doing that.
Brayo was a bit to keen to get the background info in - Cowboy Shaw: "the Taranaki pig farmer".
Probably a tautology for all I know.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If they do their jobs properly, good commentators can add a lot of enjoyment to the viewing experience. For starters, they can briefly explain refereeing decisions (bearing in mind that we hope that some viewers are relatively new to the game), they can definitely keep us up to date on replacements, and when a team is down because of a yellow card they can remind us periodically. All these should be standard requirements, but they are often overlooked.

Then it would be good to have a bit of background, and the stories, about some of the lesser known players. The Kiwi and Saffer commentators do that reasonably well. There are some good stories that surround some of our players, and they can and should be told, from time to time.

However, let us lay off the nicknames, particularly as earlier posters have said, the Brendan Cannon syndrome, where every given name ends with an "o" or a "y". It is childish. And could we refer to players occasionally by some term other than "guys"? Perhaps I am just old-fashioned, but the over-use of this Americanism really irks me.

Finally, could Greg Clarke stop calling every player over medium height "big"? As in, the ball comes out to Big Cliffy Palu. Is there a Small Cliffy Palu?

Less is more. Never was this phrase more apposite than when watching the rugby and listening to the commentators on Fox Sports.

mech4bg

Allen Oxlade (6)
I had no idea so many people who enjoyed rugby hated the commentary so much!

I rate the Aussie commentary teams. A lot more interesting than NZ or SA. They do need to just let the game do the talking occasionally though, I'll agree with the people who mentioned that they tend to talk when there's no need. The other week when the feed dropped out from them it was nice to have a bit of a break.

I remember a few years ago, maybe for the 2007 world cup, they had multiple commentary streams - you could pick to hear the crowd, the ref, or the commentators I think... something like that. It was great, I wish you could select what you wanted to hear. Sometimes it would be nice just to hear the crowd and the ref if that's what you want.

I still reckon we need MrTimms and Sam Ikin doing commentary, time to start lobbying Fox Sports.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Are you able to elaborate on this Dan54? I've seen you write this before. Never having listened to Triple M in the morning, I really am quite curious as to what he would say about rugby on the show?
Yep Bris, one case a few weeks back he was on radio raving how Sanzar were being pathetic, he saying only reason the the TMO is called TMO and not TV ref is because thats what league called it and Union was being precious, said same about Touchies being called Asst Refs, once again says it because Union is just being precious and not wanting same names as League, heard it on a building site I was on, boy and all the mungoes and AFL boys were absolutely convinced it was right because as they said well he is a Union commentator so he would know. I just laughed at them and pointed out that TMO is just that, he can't actually call offences as a ref can only advise a ref if asked, and a asst ref can actually call offences that ref misses. That only one case ,but he does that kind of thing often, I know he got a lot of leaguies that listen, but he really plays up to them about how their game the best etc.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
If they do their jobs properly, good commentators can add a lot of enjoyment to the viewing experience. For starters, they can briefly explain refereeing decisions (bearing in mind that we hope that some viewers are relatively new to the game), they can definitely keep us up to date on replacements, and when a team is down because of a yellow card they can remind us periodically. All these should be standard requirements, but they are often overlooked.

Then it would be good to have a bit of background, and the stories, about some of the lesser known players. The Kiwi and Saffer commentators do that reasonably well. There are some good stories that surround some of our players, and they can and should be told, from time to time.

However, let us lay off the nicknames, particularly as earlier posters have said, the Brendan Cannon syndrome, where every given name ends with an "o" or a "y". It is childish. And could we refer to players occasionally by some term other than "guys"? Perhaps I am just old-fashioned, but the over-use of this Americanism really irks me.

Finally, could Greg Clarke stop calling every player over medium height "big"? As in, the ball comes out to Big Cliffy Palu. Is there a Small Cliffy Palu?

Less is more. Never was this phrase more apposite than when watching the rugby and listening to the commentators on Fox Sports.

120 kaygeeessss!!!!!
The Big prop!
The big lock!
120 kaaygeeeeeessss!!!!
Stepping!
Stepping!
Barnes...BARNES!!!!Mitchell!
Stepping!
Morahan uhm the winger Shipperly, SHIPPERLEY!!
Stepping!
Try!

half time...20 ads
zzzzzzzzzzzz.................where'd I put the bong? ...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
From the Australian Barbarians game vs Canada last year, I wish there was an option on Foxtel to get random banter from Baabaa, Timmsy and Moses or whoever was involved in that production.

Agree with this. The only problem with watching the game online and having the G&GR commentary was that they were out of sync and the commentary came through 5 seconds late. If this problem could be fixed I'd swap commentary from the TV to G&GR.

D

daz

FWIW, while I agree in general that Kearns and Horan are probably not the greatest commentators in the world, I can still listen to them without wanting to smash my TV, unlike some others.

It probably helps that both those guys are rugby hero's of mine, so I can deal with a few cliche's and spouting-the-bleeding-obvious.

W

Waylon

Kearns was a great wallaby. His tenacity, combativeness and talent helped take Australian rugby from the grave to RWC champions in a relatively short period. He earned respect from NZ's best by giving it back in spades.

I enjoy the Rugby Club and am grateful that rugby is broadcast to the world.

Viva la super rugby

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sure, and Tim Horan is probably the greatest inside centre of all time...

But when you put them on TV... ugh...

I much prefer listening to the NZ or SA commentators... sans their Kearns/Marto equals...

Reactions: Epi
Status
Not open for further replies.