• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Coaches Who Escape Criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It seems very fashionable these days to criticise poorly performing rugby coaches. And this season, coaches such as Mark Hammett and Chris Hickey have felt the wrath of their teams’ supporters, with every aspect of their coaching being heavily criticised and scrutinised in the media.

But on the flipside, there are some coaches that seem to somehow miraculously escape criticism regardless of how their team performs. My question is why do some coaches seem to receive an overt amount of criticism from supporters and the media, yet others seem to be applauded by all and sundry despite equally mediocre results? I have provided a couple of examples below, and this isn’t an attack on the Chiefs or Force, more trying to make the point that some coaches are heavily targeted whilst others seem to get away with equally poor records of achievement.

Ian Foster: I know this is his final season in charge at the Chiefs, but considering that he is likely going to be promoted to being an All Black assistant coach, I’d have thought Fozzie’s performance in 2011 would be been subject to more scrutiny? Once again his team has grossly underperformed, and they are currently coming last in the NZ conference, despite boasting a high quality squad stacked full of All Blacks. Whilst some Hurricanes fans have been calling for Mark Hammett’s head on a plate since their round one loss to the Clan, Chiefs fans seem relatively content with yet another year of underachievement in Ian Foster’s 8th Super Rugby season. Given his vast experience and the playing talent he has to work with, I can’t believe how easily the New Zealand Rugby media has let Ian Foster off the hook. To me, there are some major flaws in the NZRU’s process of appointing coaches, and Ian Foster’s failed tenure at the Chiefs clearly illustrates this. But the fact that he continues to enjoy such a charmed run within the NZ rugby media is quite baffling.

Richard Graham:
I like the Force and I like they way they play, but the reality is they have underperformed this season. With just three wins and 28 points for the season they have the 4th lowest competition points total in the tournament. And given that Graham has the best backrow in SANZAR at his disposal (with four Wallaby backrowers in his squad), as well as other starting Wallabies such as James O’Conner and Nathan Sharpe, it could be argued that his team has underperformed. Yet I have yet to witness any criticism of Graham in the Australian Rugby media, and he is always referred to in glowingly positive terms by East Coast rugby scribes and by Fox sports commentators. I know he a young coach on the rise, and viewed as a future Wallaby Head Coach, but it could be argued that in their team’s sixth season in Super Rugby West Australians could be starting to expect a few more wins from what is an exciting and talented squad.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Richard Graham is in his first year and the Force were hit hard by injuries early. I don't know if he will get the same treatment if they under-perform again next year.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
I would say it probably helps that they appear to be having a crack, but not getting the results. As compared to hickey who's team just seems lost at times.

Richard's force came close against the crusaders, drew with the brumbies and blues, lost to the Reds by a point. They havent done too bad and given it is his first year, I think he deserves some time.

Not sure about Foster, so wont say much about him.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Completely agree about Ian Foster. Given the talent at his disposal, its criminal that the set-piece has remains a jumble and that there appears to be such inconsistency in their structured play.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I would say it probably helps that they appear to be having a crack, but not getting the results. As compared to hickey who's team just seems lost at times.

Richard's force came close against the crusaders, drew with the brumbies and blues, lost to the Reds by a point. They havent done too bad and given it is his first year, I think he deserves some time.

Not sure about Foster, so wont say much about him.

You must have missed the Tahs - Force game in Sydney. Half the Tahs were out with injury, we were starting guys with no Super experience, the Force had virtually their best team on the paddock, and Graham came up with a gameplan that was "try to get the Tah fans offside with their team". They lost again, a game they could and should have got five points from. If Hickey is negative and conservative, what does that make Graham?

Ali is right. After the Sydney game everyone complained how dreadful and negative the Tahs were and how sorry they were that the Force had lost another close one. During that game I think JOC (James O'Connor) got the ball in his hand to run once and beat about five. I don't think the ball got past 12 all night, when they clearly had a huge advantage. That was at the coach's specific direction. Until he can coach a team to play to win and can get a team to actually believe they can win he shouldn't be in charge of a franchise.

I also agree that Foster has done very poorly with the Chiefs forwards this year and I reckon Plumtree and Ludeke have had an armchair ride too. Why some are favoured and others criticised just doesn't make sense sometimes.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Chiefs just need to hire a set-piece coach. Their forwards aren't all that soft, in fact I rate them the best breakdown team in the comp but how their scrum and lineout is able to get so poor with the quality of their forwards is mind-boggling. If they had a good set-piece they could really trouble the competition with the ball their backs would get.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Foster would be No. 1 for me and you could almost make an argument for John Plumtree as well. The Sharks over the years should have had more success than they've enjoyed. I'm wavering on Richard Graham too. There have been too many games that we should have won but didn't for me to be satisfied, but it is only his first season. Must do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.