• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Chiefs v Highlanders Super Rugby 2015 Rd 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Yeah, just caught the replay too. Disgraceful.

I liked the look of the Landers replacement flanker, Prior. Didn't like the look of Pulu for the Chiefs much. He was like a headless chicken, which is not what you want from your #9.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Did you see the Chiefs knock on that turned into a yellow card against the Highlanders for playing the ball on the ground? Then lead to 2 penalty tries? The scoreline flattered them.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I think it's a stretch to say the yellow cost them two penalty tries. The Chiefs scrum was so dominant in that period I think they would have still done you with the extra flanker on the field. Fekitoa was packing down for the first scrum and didn't seem to be doing a bad job. Tamiefuna just basically scrum raped you guys.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
what cost the Chiefs the game was not taking the scoring opportunities when they made the breaks, by my count that was Pulu on three occasions, and Lowe on one. not to mention "a a ron's" kicking.
the yellow card was a disgrace however

Reactions: ACR

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
By geez Pulu sure brings meaning to the words "white line fever", I would be looking at starting Weber almost all the time.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
found myslef pulling for HIghlanders there. The ref seemed to be finding fault with everything they did yet ignoring cheifs for similar offenses especially taking out players past the ruck a la Brumbies style early on.

the ref pings Cane at the death for coming in the side, after it'd been happening all day, he couldnt really just ignore it there though right in front of him haha.

Messam's feet just seem too quick for his own brain in some of those should I/shouldnt I instances.

The line breaks for messrs B.Smith & Fekitoa have completely dried up. After Fekitoa got himself isolated and turned over more than a few times on the EOYT I wonder if the AB coaches told him to keep it on a leash a bit?

Poor Hosea Gear, the game looks to have passed him by, bro, its not 2005, backs cant just stand on the wing adjusting their ponytails, they have to go to rucks and shit now

Reactions: ACR

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
I think it's a stretch to say the yellow cost them two penalty tries. The Chiefs scrum was so dominant in that period I think they would have still done you with the extra flanker on the field. Fekitoa was packing down for the first scrum and didn't seem to be doing a bad job. Tamiefuna just basically scrum raped you guys.

I disagree. Until we lost a lock the highlanders scrum was holding up perfectly fine. Every Chiefs put-in the scrum went absolutely nowhere with equal numbers. That probably meant a slightly stronger scrum for them. Problem for the Chiefs was they did nothing with the perfect platform until they had an extra man or the ref started penalizing the Highlanders.

I wouldn't worry about Fekitoa, I still thought he put in a good stint with the opportunities he had (bar running into touch) and did some really good defensive things. Chiefs aren't easy opposition. Wouldn't pick anyone at fullback over B.Smith either, although he did make one glaring mistake last night.

Worth noting, Chiefs penalty goals 1 from 5. Highlanders 5 from 5. This effectively cost them the game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Chiefs should have scored 2 or 3 times in the first 20 minutes. They had so much quality ball in the red zone. Missed opportunities across the board. Cruden's kicking was woeful.

He'll really need to play well or Barrett will be first choice 10 come test season.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
highlanders memes.jpg

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
I've mentioned a few times that I don't believe the Chiefs have the tight 5 depth to go all the way this year despite clearly having the best backline in NZ if not the comp by a fair margin, and that the Clan will upset a few more-fancied sides (without necessarily winning the NZ conf let alone the comp) by sheer graft up front, fear of a Jamie Joseph bollocking, & the talents of Smith, Fekitoa & Smith.

Didn't see last nights' game due to work, unpaid Taxi duties (niece from Brisbane int'l to GC) & patho(il)logical aversion to replays but still interested to know whether either, both or none of my theories gained any credence..........

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
It's the franchise that is the least financial and with the smallest player pool. Even the most hard core highlander fan will dare to dream of a final, but any finish in the top half of the competition is a good result.

There are no such excuses for the crap that the Blues served up last night, and last 36 or so games. The biggest franchise in the country and the biggest player pool and that is all they can do. They get more than their share of the media coverage. Top rugby news story last weekend. Not Hurricanes smash. Not chiefs thump crusaders. Not Highlanders beat reds. "Blues lose again". April 18 in Dunedin could be a long night if they don't start getting their shit together. The excitement team versus the snore team.

A bit worried about the rate they are losing props though. Hame's suspension can't end soon enough. I think Kees Meeuws's work with the scrum is showing. With a full strength forward pack they won't be easy beats, and I like the look of the backline.

Maybe I can dare to dream of a top 4 finish.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
WOB, the one place the Chiefs are winning is with their tight 5 at moments, any team that has 62% possession you can bet tighties are alright, they creamed Crusaders in forwards too, they have to explain to Pulu that when you get into oppositions 22 doesn't mean you stop passing the ball. All in all looked like Chiefs biggest problem was trying too much at times I thought.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Young Mister Soon-to-be-Former-All-Black-unless-he-sorts-his-shit-out Cruden was also having a shocker with the boot. Could have still gone the Chiefs way.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Awesome pic up there. HLANDS are like the polar inverse of the Blues. Stuff all big names but they really do the business. Blues with 83% territory vs the shithouse LIONS and still lose

I've mentioned a few times that I don't believe the Chiefs have the tight 5 depth to go all the way this year despite clearly having the best backline in NZ if not the comp by a fair margin,
i would say the Canes have the best looking backline on paper in the comp. BLUES 2ND. No shit. My preseason pick was BLUES to beat Canes in the final. My rep as a Rubgy Expert will be in RUINS if the team I picked to win it all FINISHES THE COMPETITION DEAD FUCKING LAST
80bb58cd-07e3-4876-a06c-e60851997845_zps85f8e163.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.