• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2024

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
I cannot understand how a defending team scrum going backwards on rollerscates receive 2 penalties. Barker hard done by. But the Nudgee backs were slick. 2 quick taps lead to decisive tries.
Rod,

Sad to see Ned Slack Smith still having issues with concussion. I wonder if it goes back to when Barker played him the week after getting a blue card? Hopefully no long term issues.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Rod,

Sad to see Ned Slack Smith still having issues with concussion. I wonder if it goes back to when Barker played him the week after getting a blue card? Hopefully no long term issues.
I have not been in touch with Ned for some time. I am not sure what the concussion was from.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Just watching a replay of the Barker Nudgee game. The Nudgee pack is bigger but this did not lead to set piece dominance. The Butcher stripes line out was rusty and the scrum was regularly under pressure. What helped Nudgee was the soft but legitimate penalties Barker gave away. The Nudgee back line especially from the centres out were slicker and more penetrating than Barkers. Barker crossed the line just on HT but the ref did not award a try. Must have been a small knock on or forward pass that was not evident in the video. I recognised the majority of the Reds forward pack from last year so there is not many new kids in this team. Last years 1st XV was very young. I liked what I saw from the Reds. Nudgee is a scholarship team and have the best rugby program in Qld. The scoreline of 29/19 did not reflect the closeness of the game but Nudgee deserved to win. Just.

U 19 scrum laws rod. You can’t push more than 1.5 metres.
If that was what the Ref was penalising then should have been free kicks not full arm penalties according to the law book. Was notiable that Nudgee were running scared of the Barker scrum opting to take line outs rather that scrums after the Barker not straights.

I would say that Barker have had a successful tour and look to have some depth this year with the 2nds going well in there games on tour and also with how they went at Joeys. Riverview next weekend will be a good test to see how they’re shaping up before the have a very soft series a trials ahead of the CAS season.

Famed_Star

Allen Oxlade (6)
Something like this? There only good players posted so they will have gone shopping?

1. Import
2. Import
3. Sione
4. Import
5. Import
6. Little
7. Aboud
8. Finegan
9. Import
10. Pataea
11. Import
12. Evans
13. Capper
14. Import
15. Ballard
I mean not too far off.. though you have missed some kids that were in the premiership winning team last year so they are probably pretty good. And missing a few of their strong roosters players who made it to the finals this year.

Apparently Sione, Little and Finegan out for a while though too. So won’t see them at full strength for the first few weeks like last year

Last edited:

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
It's a safety issue, made necessary by the kind of mismatch you'll see when Barker next plays St Aloysius.

I get this. But Nudgee aren't Aloys. They're a premier rugby school in the world. Just frustrating at the 1stXV level. My frustration doesn't stem from this game, it's something I've always found frustrating.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
The same game that disallows obstruction until you do it from a lineout and call it a maul.

It wasn't an obstruction. I explained this in last years thread. Do I need to explain it again? As long as the "arrow-head" of the maul doesn't pass the ball back through the maul then it's not an obstruction. The arrow-head in this scenario didn't do that, he broke from the maul, and he scored a try. That was not contentious in the whole Cranbrook game drama. Anyone who knew the rules understood that was allowed. Issue was when the ref blew the whistle (when the ball was being placed).

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
Rod,

Ned was cleared by an independent doctor to play (not prompted by the school)... Did this make it legal under the Rugby NSW rules? No. But he was not suffering from concussion symptoms, and in fact at no point suffered head trauma when he was blue-carded. So, no. Has nothing to do with his current issues.

Ziggy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Something like this? There only good players posted so they will have gone shopping?

1. Import
2. Import
3. Sione
4. Import
5. Import
6. Little
7. Aboud
8. Finegan
9. Import
10. Pataea
11. Import
12. Evans
13. Capper
14. Import
15. Ballard
*Their

Reactions: 777

Knox_to_win

Stan Wickham (3)
Weekend predictions?

A big week for Knox against the premier rugby school in the country in their centenary year. Will be a tight affair.

Who do other schools face?