• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

meat1head

Peter Burge (5)
AS,
Here is the Waves 1st XV team list.

1. W McCormick
2. W Johnston
3. F Wright
4. F O'Sullivan
5. H Whiteman
6. L Cornish
7. J Ellis
8. L Moretti
9. M Bell
10. B Donaldson
11. P Baldwin
12. L Hardaker
13. L Wallace
14. B Howard
15. D Andrews
No towns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Actually this is a fairly good start off the performances that have been put out. However a couple of changes and additions. Given that Knox have played two very tough oppositions their performances have been given more weighting so criticisms of bias will only be laughed at here.

1. It is very tough to leave Brady Dawson (K) out of CAS1. In fact, a Knox front row would not be out of the question given their dominance against Riverview and Kings over the last two weeks.

2. My feeling is that Billy Collins (K) should at least make CAS2. The physicality he shows around the park is also complimented by some very decent ball skills.

3. Dave Tejeck (B) is very unlucky not to get a start here. Seasoned campaigner should be more strongly considered.

4. Whilst not being exceptional this campaign so far, Tom Brown (K) has to be in for a fight for the CAS2 wing position. He is extremely fast and has the most under-rated defensive work rate in the CAS particularly on the cover.

On another subject, whilst it is true that the tiered 'trials' don't help selectors, they DO help schools prepare for their own shields. The game that decides the CAS is undoubtably Knox vs Waverley at Queens Park and given there is no reverse fixture, it makes it all the more critical that both schools leave nothing out there, especially after last year. It seems Waverley have their support structures better set out with 'compulsory attendance' to fixtures of high importance. Whilst it played a factor last year, over the first two games it looks like Knox will blitz the CAS 5-0. Knox will struggle against Scots next week who won't fall for the same trick as Kings did last week. This week a prediction I never thought I'd make. Knox will surprise Newington with a win and blow the NSW competition right open.

Skeptic to believer. I guess it can happen.

As a Newington supporter, I don't think for a moment that a Knox win tomorrow will be a surprise at all. Knox with wins against View and Kings have established their creditability already, as a powerful and talented side. I further believe, if any school can defeat New's pick and drive tactics it will be Knox.

I would discern that Knox is a physically big and powerful team, that can nullify Newington's momentum and possession in the forwards. Thereby depriving New's backs of opportunities to get over the advantage line.

Of course I could be completely wrong ( I hope so as A New Supporter) but if New is beaten, the fact is in rugby you can learn more from a defeat than a victory. Such defeats lift the bar in terms of standards to be achieved. As the current New Coach told me in 2010 after a defeat by a champion Kings side in 2010. "Sometimes you have to lose one in order to win one". That defeat was in the preseason and the experience gave New the confidence to beat Kings in the GPS round.

If the game tomorrow, lifts Newington's future performance's in preparation for the GPS season. Then I can only thank Knox Grammar for the opportunity to have played them in rugby.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
As a Newington supporter, I don't think for a moment that a Knox win tomorrow will be a surprise at all. Knox with wins against View and Kings have established their creditability already, as a powerful and talented side. I further believe, if any school can defeat New's pick and drive tactics it will be Knox.

I would discern that Knox is a physically big and powerful team, that can nullify Newington's momentum and possession in the forwards. Thereby depriving New's backs of opportunities to get over the advantage line.

Of course I could be completely wrong ( I hope so as A New Supporter) but if New is beaten, the fact is in rugby you can learn more from a defeat than a victory. Such defeats lift the bar in terms of standards to be achieved. As the current New Coach told me in 2010 after a defeat by a champion Kings side in 2010. "Sometimes you have to lose one in order to win one". That defeat was in the preseason and the experience gave New the confidence to beat Kings in the GPS round.

If the game tomorrow, lifts Newington's future performance's in preparation for the GPS season. Then I can only thank Knox Grammar for the opportunity to have played them in rugby.

Someone hack your phone B&W?

GPS supporters aren't supposed to say anything but how superior GPS rugby is.

Kidding of course.

I'm a GPS supporter. But I always expected Waves and Knox would do well in their trials against GPS. This is despite predicting a few months ago (sarcastically but probably not noticeably so) that they wouldn't.

But credit where credit is due. They have done really well and that can only be a good thing.

I too wouldn't be at all surprised if Knox and Waves win again tomorrow.

Best of luck to all sides. Should be some great rugby on display.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
B&W, Rich E, I hope that neither Knox nor Waves will take your words of support too literally and avoid being lulled into a false sense of security, as the challenges each face tomorrow are huge. That said, it is decent of you to publicly move away from some of the more extreme posturing that was evident on the GPS thread pre -season (I think Azzuri was predicting 1 CAS victory from the 12 CAS-GPS trial match ups and Quick Hands a duck egg). We here in CAS land are simply enjoying the very entertaining and competetive weekly match ups against the high quality teams that the GPS schools consistently produce. May the best team win on the day (and not by too much).

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
I'm hoping the rain eases up a little. A sunny game would far more suit a Waverley Joeys game where both teams like to use the ball and send it to their wingers.

Here's hoping the weather clears and the sunshine comes through bright.

Enjoy the rugby tomorrow players from every team and make sure you all have fun.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
B&W, Rich E, I hope that neither Knox nor Waves will take your words of support too literally and avoid being lulled into a false sense of security, as the challenges each face tomorrow are huge. That said, it is decent of you to publicly move away from some of the more extreme posturing that was evident on the GPS thread pre -season (I think Azzuri was predicting 1 CAS victory from the 12 CAS-GPS trial match ups and Quick Hands a duck egg). We here in CAS land are simply enjoying the very entertaining and competetive weekly match ups against the high quality teams that the GPS schools consistently produce. May the best team win on the day (and not by too much).

Barker have also shown to be competitive, claiming a nice come from behind win. But joeys and Newington will be another level of competition.

Huly

Chris McKivat (8)
St Aloysius 1s going up against High tomorrow at Aloys. I thought perhaps this extended trial games period would enable minnows like High to find suitable opponents at their level.

I guess not.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
No issue there W88. I was simply responding to the the 2 posts above which referred to Kn and W. Personally I think it's a shame Barker are not getting the opportunity to play the best GPS teams as early indications are they would be competitive. Plus there's no better test of where you are at in schoolboy rugby and, win or lose, plenty to learn.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
No issue there W88. I was simply responding to the the 2 posts above which referred to Kn and W. Personally I think it's a shame Barker are not getting the opportunity to play the best GPS teams as early indications are they would be competitive. Plus there's no better test of where you are at in schoolboy rugby and win or lose, plenty to learn.

Agreed, they also have some good cattle coming through with the likes of Reimer at the helm.

Joeys seconds will still be a very good match up for them though, I'm encouraged in the new system that they were able to play against Joeys. It also shows a bit of comraderie in the CAS which is a positive. Waverley 2nds vs joeys 3rds will be a more competitive match up as well then-though likely St Joseph's will be very strong at that level and run away at the end.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
No issue there W88. I was simply responding to the the 2 posts above which referred to Kn and W. Personally I think it's a shame Barker are not getting the opportunity to play the best GPS teams as early indications are they would be competitive. Plus there's no better test of where you are at in schoolboy rugby and, win or lose, plenty to learn.

Agree. When you include Barker's win over Shore, that's 4 from 5 to CAS over GPS. So my prediction of 3 from 12 was underdone for sure.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Teams for Knox v New attached

Attachments

• IMG_3236.JPG
    IMG_3236.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 372

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Joeys 2nd defeat Barker 1sts 35/22.... good comeback by Barker in 2nd half but Joeys deserved the win

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Joeys have a game on there hands... desperate defence by Joeys on Cornish has resulted in Joeys 12 and 6 off injured

Status
Not open for further replies.