• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

CAS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

waves

Great to have you back on board, I have been missing the informative Waverley match reports.Who is injured/missing from Waverley 1st XV squad and who looks like playing 10, 12 & 13?

People can judge on trial results make comments about their pre-season but when it comes to competition CAS Rugby Waverley College will be competitors. This season will test the depth at the school but it should see a lot of kids prove other schools wrong. I believe in the previous 5 seasons they have only lost 5 games during CAS competition, which I didn't think they had an outstanding team running around the pitch especially in earlier campaigns.

It only goes as far as last year where talk of Trinity were going to upset sides because of their star studded line-up yet I believe they finished low on the competition table. Waverley might not win the CAS Rugby but they will push sides to the limits including Knox, do not forget injuries play a big part in this season so all the talk should just wait until results are in at 5:00 saturday evening.

In consideration to your comment ned , the 10 spot seems to be covered well now although it comes to an expence 12 and 13 can still very much work for the boys but its going to take the right centre combinations playing off eachothers games and also confidence not being tentative about the task ahead but taking the opportunity.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Is what you are saying that Waverley has gone crap in their trials with non CAS schools for 5 years but are always strong in the CAS comp?
Doesn't that just mean...?

B

baldingwingforward

Trinity by 24

Trinity aren't that good Ned. I think they will probably beat Cranners but at the same time i wouldn't be surprised to see the Lily white latte drinkers cause an upset. If TRinity do mange a win i reckon a 5 point margin is more realistic.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results come 5pm Saturday...

Y

youknowwhoiam

nice nice

apparently knox is missing their best player they have ever come through the school 'oliver moss'

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
People can judge on trial results make comments about their pre-season but when it comes to competition CAS Rugby Waverley College will be competitors. This season will test the depth at the school but it should see a lot of kids prove other schools wrong. I believe in the previous 5 seasons they have only lost 5 games during CAS competition, which I didn't think they had an outstanding team running around the pitch especially in earlier campaigns.

It only goes as far as last year where talk of Trinity were going to upset sides because of their star studded line-up yet I believe they finished low on the competition table. Waverley might not win the CAS Rugby but they will push sides to the limits including Knox, do not forget injuries play a big part in this season so all the talk should just wait until results are in at 5:00 saturday evening.
.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Interesting.
I think that most people who have an interest in the various schoolboy rugby competitions in Sydney , & who are able to give an objective view of the teams , unfettered by a particular personal association with a school ,
thought that Trinity would finish 3rd or 4th in last years competition , & they were correct , that's where they finished.
I don't understand why you feel that they had a "star studded line-up" ? .The only player who most people would call " a star " was Usaia O'Sullivan , & he missed most of the season with injury .
Presumably the C.A.S. selectors , for what it's worth , didn't think they had too many stars either , as Trinity had no one selected in the C.A.S. firsts , & only 2 in the seconds.

W

waves

Is what you are saying that Waverley has gone crap in their trials with non CAS schools for 5 years but are always strong in the CAS comp?
Doesn't that just mean...?

Waverley traditionally dont have the best trial form but come good as the competition arrives and strengthens to the back end of the season.

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Interesting.
I think that most people who have an interest in the various schoolboy rugby competitions in Sydney , & who are able to give an objective view of the teams , unfettered by a particular personal association with a school ,
thought that Trinity would finish 3rd or 4th in last years competition , & they were correct , that's where they finished.
I don't understand why you feel that they had a "star studded line-up" ? .The only player who most people would call " a star " was Usaia O'Sullivan , & he missed most of the season with injury .
Presumably the C.A.S. selectors , for what it's worth , didn't think they had too many stars either , as Trinity had no one selected in the C.A.S. firsts , & only 2 in the seconds.

I think Jack Debreczieni and Patrick Sio could also go along with Usaia in that regard, although I'm sure people were expecting big things from previous CAS representatives Alexander, Orr, Lee & Bray also their strong U16's side ?

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Waverley traditionally dont have the best trial form but come good as the competition arrives and strengthens to the back end of the season.

I think Jack Debreczieni and Patrick Sio could also go along with Usaia in that regard, although I'm sure people were expecting big things from previous CAS representatives Alexander, Orr, Lee & Bray also their strong U16's side ?

Fair enough ,I think Debreczini & Sio might be considered stars or at least quite a bit above average this year , but not last.The others you mention I would classify as just average.In passing , I think Trinity look
a stronger side this year however , as does Cranbrook , while Waverley are about the same & Knox not quite as strong .Aloys are an unknown quantity perhaps ,as it's rumored they have a few unknown new guys ?

Constantine

Stan Wickham (3)
Good call, Done that. Trinity is definitely stronger than last year but so it seems is Cranbrook. I favour a Trinity win at Trinity but they do at times struggle against Cranbrook. Cranbrook given some recent solid results could provide an upset but Trinity has the ability to score tries from nothing.
There is some talk of huge Trinity forwards and some certainly are big but there also only u 17 & u 16 in some cases and being 1or 2 years younger can make a difference. Not much talk of the Trinity backs except Debrezini but they have about at least 4 who played CAS U 16 year and have some speed & skill.
Agree with your calls on Knox although from what I've heard and read Waverly forwards aren't quite as strong as last year. But don't think Waverly supporters should be crying in their beers yet.As they had some strong under 16 backs from last year too which I'm assuming are still there.
Barker don't look to be as strong this year and took a beating from Stannies last week at Stannies while Trinity beat Stannies in a tough game a month earlier.Aloys also went down to Stannies but in a closer match during the holidays so whether Stannies is good indicator of those schools likely CAS strenthts I'll be interested to see.

Let the games begin.

B

baldingwingforward

My picks for today:

Knox by 10+
Waverley in a close one (if Barker lost to Stannies that doesn't say much)
Trinity in a tight one 1-7 margin

Tips for the Season

Knox (as long as they don't get too many more injuries)
Waverley
Barker
Trinity
Cranbrook
Aloys

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Nice sunny afternoon @ College Oval, Willoughby( although it's not oval shaped!);
Knox a bit slow out of the blocks and trailed 13-12 at lemons. They drew away in the 1st stanza of 2nd half and won the game:

Knox 33 Aoys 20

N

nonymous

trinity are gun this year just played them haha alot of big fellas

B

baldingwingforward

trinity are gun this year just played them haha alot of big fellas

I take it all back! I really didn't think that Trinity would win that big. When i saw them play they were average at best... So either Cranbrook are terrible this year (i had heard they were ok) or something strange happened in the match.

Nonymous or anyone else can you give a match report? Also what happened in the Barker vs Waves game? Heard waverley won. Anyone know the score?

diwi10

Stan Wickham (3)
Was viewing the Trinity vs Cranbrook game today. My take on it, Trinity scored their first two tries from their first two touches from their own half which seemed to put Cranbrook into a bit of shock. Trinity took the ascendancy and played some good attacking rugby, at the same time Cranbrook had some lacklustre defence which brought the score in at 38-0 at half time. 2nd half seemed a bit more of a turn around as Cranbrook pressed the Trinity line with a bit more possession but Trinity still outscored them 20-12 in the second half. Good all around game by Trinity. No.15 Henry Clunies-Ross scored 4 tries but some were from other individuals lead up play. Cranbrook were served by a solid performance by their No.12 Luke Broom until he got injured. Full time 58-12.

C

CAS

Waverley defeated a solid Barker squad 15-10. Waverley lead 10-0 at the break. barker picked it up in the second half with an early try but waverley able to hit back with a try almost immediately some strong defence under enormous pressure from the referee under what seemed like from the sidelines an endless amount of penalties against the waverley team. overall solid performance from the young waverley team setting a strong platform for the season ahead

B

bigdicklaz

watched the trinity vs cranbrook match. Trinity are a good team, and i will be suprised if there is anyone out there who can get it over them. They only dropped the ball 3 times in the entire game, and possess high skill sets across all 15 positions. The trinity try in the first 20 seconds set the pace for the rest of the game, and with 2 key players out for cranbrook (6 and 8 ) they struggled to gain momentum. Standouts from trinity were 15, 10, 8 and 2. Cranbrooks were 1, 2, and 9.

rugby101

Bob McCowan (2)
Waverley defeated a solid Barker squad 15-0. Waverley lead 10-0 at the break. barker picked it up in the second half with an early try but waverley able to hit back with a try almost immediately some strong defence under enormous pressure from the referee under what seemed like from the sidelines an endless amount of penalties against the waverley team. overall solid performance from the young waverley team setting a strong platform for the season ahead

I thought it was 15-10

Status
Not open for further replies.