• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Buildcorp Australian Club Championships - Qld Uni vs Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Syd Uni Team
1. Tom Lamont
2. Ben Roberts (VC)
3. Sam Talakai
4. Hugh Hawkins
5. Tom Heslop
6. Harry Marples
7. Stu Goodman
8. Jack de Guingand
9. Matt Schwager (C)
10. Danny Kroll
11. Nick Edwards
12. James McMahon
13. Elih Bailey
14. Willie du Plessis
15. Toby L'estrange
16. Kirwin Sanday
17. Sam Roberson
18. Andrew Rossiter
19. Tom Boidin
20. Angus Roberts
21. Tom English
22. David Dillon
23. David Fitter

Interest to note the appearance of an ex-Wallaby in jersey 23.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hmmm Red I assume the form number 7 in trials David Hickey is injured. He is a class above Goodman, mobile and hard as nails had a brilliant 2010 in Colts and fit is destined for U/20 jumper after some Anti Joeys sentiment and NTS favourites cost him a schoolboys jersey in 2009.

Yes, NS, David Hickey is injured. Another player who is missing from the team because of injury is the loose head, Alasdair King.

A

Albert

Syd Uni Team

10. Danny Kroll

Bruce - I'm not having a dig at you or Uni here, so please don't interpret this as a smart-arse anti-Uni question:

I remember last year you mentioned that Syd Uni has a policy of not recruiting first grade players from outside the club (apart from Hux and Berrick). Have I understood correctly? Is this policy still in place with Todd Louden?

There's talk at the Wicks that Louden rang Krolly, and convinced him that the Syd Uni first grade number 10 jumper was available with minimal competition for the first 3 months of the comp. Krolly eventually wants to play for some coin overseas, and the big selling point to get him to Uni was guaranteed time in first grade, which wasn't available at Randwick where he's competing with Jai Ayoub and Toby Brown. The logic being that a stint at 10 in the Shute Shield with a powerhouse like Uni would look far better on Krolly's resume than possibly playing a bit of 12 or 15 or even 2nd grade at Randwick.

Do you know any background to Krolly's move? You know what footy clubs are like, truth doesn't often prevent a good yarn. I'm interested to know how accurate this story is.

A

Albert

Great to see Hickey's teammate from Joeys, Tommy Lamont, get a run. Good player. Still young for a prop.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm away this weekend but am going to come back early to catch this game - I think it'll be worth the effort.

Bruce - I know that QLD Uni are missing a number of players (outside of those on duty with the Reds), what about Sydney Uni (outside of those on duty for the Tahs).

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce - I'm not having a dig at you or Uni here, so please don't interpret this as a smart-arse anti-Uni question:

I remember last year you mentioned that Syd Uni has a policy of not recruiting first grade players from outside the club (apart from Hux and Berrick). Have I understood correctly? Is this policy still in place with Todd Louden?

There's talk at the Wicks that Louden rang Krolly, and convinced him that the Syd Uni first grade number 10 jumper was available with minimal competition for the first 3 months of the comp. Krolly eventually wants to play for some coin overseas, and the big selling point to get him to Uni was guaranteed time in first grade, which wasn't available at Randwick where he's competing with Jai Ayoub and Toby Brown. The logic being that a stint at 10 in the Shute Shield with a powerhouse like Uni would look far better on Krolly's resume than possibly playing a bit of 12 or 15 or even 2nd grade at Randwick.

Do you know any background to Krolly's move? You know what footy clubs are like, truth doesn't often prevent a good yarn. I'm interested to know how accurate this story is.

Albert, I'll try to answer your question in the same spirit in which it is written.

At present Uni has 25 of its players on full contracts with the franchises although it is rumoured that a couple may sign for other Sydney clubs. In addition there are Uni players on Academy or Sevens contracts, plus some who have gone to Melbourne to play A games for the Rebels.

This year most of those players will be available at some stage during the season. However, in 2012 the Super season will be virtually coextensive with the Sydney Club Premiership season, so few contracted players will be available for club rugby.

Given this situation some relaxation of Uni's policy of growing its own was prudent. If you look at the team going to Brisbane the majority are either still of Colts age or just one year older. Most of the rest were lower grade players last year. But allowing for injuries this is the best squad that Uni could assemble.

I have no knowledge of whether coach or player initiated Krolly's move which as you seem to acknowledge was a logical decision for him. What I do not find credible is the statement that "the big selling point to get him to Uni was guaranteed time in first grade". I am in almost daily contact with Todd Louden and regard him as the last coach who would ever guarantee a starting spot to any player, irrespective of reputation. In any case there is a kid on the bench for Sunday, Angus Roberts, who will certainly be keeping Danny honest.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm away this weekend but am going to come back early to catch this game - I think it'll be worth the effort.

Bruce - I know that QLD Uni are missing a number of players (outside of those on duty with the Reds), what about Sydney Uni (outside of those on duty for the Tahs).

Sorry, Austin, I missed your question but more or less answered it in my reply to Albert. None of the Uni players on Academy or Sevens contracts nor those who've gone down to Melbourne to play A games for the Rebels are available. There are a few players still recovering from injury but the only one missing from last week's trial against Eastwood is the prop Alasdair King.

Despite the fact that the 23 players include 6 of Colts age plus 6 just a year older they should give a good account of themselves after 14 weeks or so of very intensive training. I wish I was up there to see the match.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hmmm Red I assume the form number 7 in trials David Hickey is injured. He is a class above Goodman, mobile and hard as nails had a brilliant 2010 in Colts and fit is destined for U/20 jumper after some Anti Joeys sentiment and NTS favourites cost him a schoolboys jersey in 2009.

Late breaking news, Northern. Stu Goodman has been ruled out with injury and David Hickey has come back in to play at 7.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Tell me that no 23 is not old Pot Plant.

Only Nick Edwards would be a chance to start for the Sydney Uni team when the Super players not wanted for the Wallabies come back.

If anybody sees the game please advise on 2. Ben Roberts who Bruce and I rate highly but would be behind Nathan Charles when he is available; also 3. Sam Talakai who was like an Artie Beetson type rugby prop at school but who I haven't seen as a senior player.

Thanks

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Tell me that no 23 is not old Pot Plant.

Only Nick Edwards would be a chance to start for the Sydney Uni team when the Super players not wanted for the Wallabies come back.

If anybody sees the game please advise on 2. Ben Roberts who Bruce and I rate highly but would be behind Nathan Charles when he is available; also 3. Sam Talakai who was like an Artie Beetson type rugby prop at school but who I haven't seen as a senior player.

Yes, LG, Fitts is back from Melbourne and has started studying medicine at Notre Dame. He was going to do some scrum coaching for the Club but then as he put it: "I've got the itch." He'll play lower grades along with John Langford who is much older.

Having watched a lot of the training and the trials I wouldn't be putting any serious money on Nathan Charles being able to oust Ben Roberts. I'll be surprised if Benny doesn't land a contract after this season. He's always been a hard bastard but now has the strength and fitness to be really menacing.

Sam Talakai has similarly taken his strength and fitness to a new level. He's certainly one to watch. Another two that people should take note of are the 7 and 8, David Hickey and Jack De Guingand. All three are still Colts age but certainly don't play like boys.

W

waves

Syd Uni Team
1. Tom Lamont
2. Ben Roberts (VC)
3. Sam Talakai
4. Hugh Hawkins
5. Tom Heslop
6. Harry Marples
7. Stu Goodman
8. Jack de Guingand
9. Matt Schwager (C)
10. Danny Kroll
11. Nick Edwards
12. James McMahon
13. Elih Bailey
14. Willie du Plessis
15. Toby L'estrange
16. Kirwin Sanday
17. Sam Roberson
18. Andrew Rossiter
19. Tom Boidin
20. Angus Roberts
21. Tom English
22. David Dillon
23. David Fitter

That is a very young 1st Grade Team I dont think many people realise or understand how good their trial form has been.

Theres about 11 players in this squad who are under 21 and first year out of colts:

Tom Lamont, Sam Talakai, Tom Heslop, David Hickey, Jack de Guingand, Elih Bailey, Kirwin Sanday, Sam Roberson, Tom Boidin, Angus Roberts, Tom English.

7 of which can still play colts:

Tom Lamont, Sam Talakai, David Hickey, Jack de Guingand, Elih Bailey, Kirwin Sanday, Tom English.

I think someone said it previously in this thread or another but the real threat Sydney University have is Todd Louden.

N

NorthernSon

Late breaking news, Northern. Stu Goodman has been ruled out with injury and David Hickey has come back in to play at 7.
Hmmm, Glad to hear Dave is back on deck and Yes fellow 2009 Joe Boy Tommy Lamont a class act and if he wore a GPS Im sure covers far more ground than any Prop in Australia.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce

Does that mean that mean that Hickey only came into the squad after Goodman pulled out?

Not quite Informer, Hickey was ruled out on medical grounds on Monday after the Eastwood trial, so Stu Goodman replaced him. Goodman was injured at training on Thursday night and Hickey was subsequently declared available to play.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
UQ got up 42 to 26.
Much closer game then the score leads you to believe
Syd uni very good with line speed and at the breakdown.
Impressive for their colts team.
UQ scored some very good tries and made the most of their opportunities.
Both number 8’s (Harry Elliott and Jack de Guingand) where awarded the man of the match from buildcorp (mutual sponsor)
The players from each team also voted for the oppositions best player and that went to The Syd uni half back Matt Schwager and Dave McDuling from UQ
First time UQ has been Aust club champs in 20 years

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Press release about the game:

Media Release: University of QLD wins Australian Club Championship

University of Queensland begin their Centenary Year on a high with an exciting 42-26 victory over Sydney University in the Australian Club Championship at Ballymore on Sunday.

The Red Heavies overcame a slender 18-17 halftime deficit to pile on five tries in the annual Club Championship grudge match played between the Queensland Premier Rugby and NSW club rugby champions.

Winger Steve O’Leary racked up an impressive 22 points individual scoring tally in a highly entertaining and extremely physical encounter played in perfect rugby conditions in front of a healthy and vocal Ballymore crowd.

QAS Reds Academy lock David McDuling made an impact every time he touched the ball for QLD Uni while Sydney Uni scrumhalf and captain Matt Schwager tried hard in a polished 80 minute display.

QLD Uni centre Ryan Gilliman scored the opening try of the match in the 15th minute before Sydney Uni, with the benefit of a strong wind at their back in the opening half, edged their way to the lead with tries to James McMahon and Willie du Plessis.

A try on the stroke of halftime to QLD Uni hooker Scott Kelly and just after the break to Academy flyer Simon Morahan saw the home team regain a lead they wouldn’t relinquish.

Both teams traded tries and penalty goals in the later stages before a length of the field intercept try to Red Heavies replacement Tom McQueen capped of the special win.

The victory was the third straight by Queensland Premier Rugby teams in the ACC with Brothers and Easts beating Sydney University the previous two years.

University of Queensland 42 (Ryan Gilliman, Steve O’Leary, Scott Kelly, Simon Morahan, Tom McQueen tries, Steve O'Leary 4 cons, 3 pens) def Sydney University 26 (James McMahon, Willie du Plessis, Harry Marples tries, Angus Roberts con, pen, Danny Kroll 2 pens)

ENDS

Status
Not open for further replies.