• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies vs Rebels, Canberra - 2011R17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinzan

Herbert Moran (7)
How about buying boxes of beer, bring along a BBQ & we'll have drinks & snags in the carpark(American Superbowl style)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Another good inner city Canberra drinking hole is Debacle in Braddon.

They have a good range of beer on tap, including some lovely European beers such as Hoegaarden, Chimay, and Franziskaner.

They also do some nice pizzas.

However, the place gets pretty busy.

I used to go and watch Brumbies games there because it's guaranteed on the big screen.

nathan

Watty Friend (18)
Another good inner city Canberra drinking hole is Debacle in Braddon.

They have a good range of beer on tap, including some lovely European beers such as Hoegaarden, Chimay, and Franziskaner.

They also do some nice pizzas.

However, the place gets pretty busy.

I used to go and watch Brumbies games there because it's guaranteed on the big screen.

Or All Bar - it's got more rugby vibe to it before and after the game too.

nathan

Watty Friend (18)
All Bar was once a good pub.

I can't pinpoint the time when it started attracting a massive dickhead crowd.

I think it was about the time it started to become cool to live in the inner north, and then you added Gunghalin and surrounding suburbs into the mix. Closest place to go out is Dickson or O'Connor.

It's still a good pub when it's quiet. The food's improved there big time and they've always had good beers on tap. Free buses to and from the game also.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The way they're going the Brumbies will be fielding an all Academy forward pack by the end of the season:

Brumbies' big-man crisis

BY CHRIS DUTTON
06 Jun, 2011 08:38 AM

The ACT Brumbies will go on a desperate search for forward reinforcements after being dealt two crippling blows after their win over the Queensland Reds.

Lock Mark Chisholm ruptured the anterior cruciate and medial ligaments in his left knee and will have scans today before his recovery time is determined.

And while Chisholm's Super Rugby career came to a devastating end, powerful No8 Ita Vaea has been suspended for a week after his tackle which left Reds winger Digby Ioane unconscious.

It means the Brumbies have just two full-time fit and available forwards on their roster for Friday night's match against the Melbourne Rebels at Canberra Stadium.

The rest of the forward pack and replacements will be filled by rookies.

Tom Boidin and Tom Alexander will train with the squad this week.

Peter Kimlin will replace Chisholm while Henry Vanderglas could move into the starting XV at the back of the scrum.

That leaves two spots open on the bench and Boidin and Alexander are likely to be given a chance to make their Super Rugby debuts as reserves.

Chisholm and Vaea's absence adds to an already remarkable list of unavailable forwards for the two-time Super Rugby champions.

Stephen Hoiles, Rocky Elsom, Dan Palmer, Salesi Ma'afu, Huia Edmonds and rookie Sam Carter are all injured and Colby Fainga'a and Michael Hooper are in Italy with the Australian under-20s side.

Adding to that, Mitchell Chapman is courageously playing on despite nursing two fractures in his hand.

It remains unclear how long Chisholm will be out of action.

The 102-capped Brumby was to leave Canberra at the end of the season for a stint in France with the Bayonne club.

He had also hoped to play a major role in the Wallabies' World Cup campaign.

Scans today will reveal the full extent of the damage.

But if Chisholm opts to have LARS surgery, he is still a slim chance of getting back in time for the World Cup.

The Brumbies' medical staff have already spoken to the Wallabies and they will make further contact with Australian coach Robbie Deans this week to seek his input.

If Chisholm chooses to have LARS, he could be back in just over three months.

If he chooses a full reconstruction as Canberra Raiders star Terry Campese did he will be sidelined for the next nine months.

Chisholm was having his best game of the season in the match against the Reds.

The veteran made 10 runs and 11 tackles before he went down in pain in the 69th minute of the match.

''I've never had a knee injury which needed surgery, so I don't know what we're going to do,'' Chisholm said.

''I knew the severity of it from the amount of pain I was in ... it's disappointing to finish like that in a season we're working very hard to turn around.

''To not finish the game kills me, I've just got to take it all in and reassess.

''It's all new, it's a big shock.''

Vaea was found guilty of foul play at a SANZAR judicial hearing in Brisbane yesterday morning.

The young Tongan powerhouse was cited for a dangerous tackle on Ioane in the 48th minute.

Ioane was knocked out and taken to hospital, but he was cleared of major injury.

Vaea will miss just one game and it is unlikely the Brumbies will appeal against his suspension.

If Chisholm chooses to have LARS, he could be back in just over three months.

If he chooses a full reconstruction as Canberra Raiders star Terry Campese did he will be sidelined for the next nine months.

Chisholm was having his best game of the season in the match against the Reds.

The veteran made 10 runs and 11 tackles before he went down in pain in the 69th minute of the match.

''I've never had a knee injury which needed surgery, so I don't know what we're going to do,'' Chisholm said.

''I knew the severity of it from the amount of pain I was in ... it's disappointing to finish like that in a season we're working very hard to turn around.

''To not finish the game kills me, I've just got to take it all in and reassess.

''It's all new, it's a big shock.''

Vaea was found guilty of foul play at a SANZAR judicial hearing in Brisbane yesterday morning.

The young Tongan powerhouse was cited for a dangerous tackle on Ioane in the 48th minute.

Ioane was knocked out and taken to hospital, but he was cleared of major injury.

Vaea will miss just one game and it is unlikely the Brumbies will appeal against his suspension.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
They will be a good match for the Tahs pack by the time they play each other - not many left standing there either. Kepu, Robinson, Mowen, Palu, Douglas (suspended)...
I can see a cripple fight coming, Slim!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They will be a good match for the Tahs pack by the time they play each other - not many left standing there either. Kepu, Robinson, Mowen, Palu, Douglas (suspended)...
I can see a cripple fight coming, Slim!

Nah, the last match was a cripple fight... maybe these young ones can provide us with an entertaining match!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cipriani is back this week...

McCabe is set to stay at inside centre and I'm sure he'll be instructed to run straight at him!

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Regarding Chisholm, I think it would be a waste for him to get LARS. Firstly, because he was no certainty for the World Cup anyway, and will therefore struggle to get back to fitness and make the squad. Secondly, because LARS will generally result in another ACL within a few years and he will have to go through the whole procedure again, as AFL players are finding out. Many only take LARS early in the season for this reason (the high chance of a repeat within a few years). It's better to take the 9 months now and move on rather than have to go through it again later. Although, you'd think that a Union 2nd rower wouldn't be putting the lateral strain on the ACL like most of the AFL players do. Best of luck to Chisholm, whatever he does.

Not sure on the Ponies for this one. I don't think they have it in them to get up for two games this year. Past years, no problem, but this year they've been mentally fragile. We see it time and time again that teams struggle to back up after a terrific physical and emotional effort, like the Brumbies did. In saying that, the Rebels have been poor since about a third of the way through the season. If the Rebels forwards man up and Cipriani shows up to play, they will be a little unpredictable with what they can do.

Would like to see the Brumbies getting the ball a bit wider when they get that roll on. The Brumbies attack in the second half vs the Reds looked great when their forwards smashed the Reds (and the Reds stupidly sat back), but other times they fell back into annoying halfback midfield bombs which tend to just turn the ball over. When the Brumbies get over the advantage line (like they did vs the Reds so well), I would love to see them get the ball a bit wider, to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Speight, and Lealiifano (who is a dangerous runner) coming from the deep. The Brumbies struggled to get it past their centres against the Reds (I guess unsurprising, seeing as McCabe and Tyrone Smith aren't the biggest passes of the ball).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So, with 10 forwards out the Brumbies have brought in Tom Boidin and Tom Alexander...

How does everyone rate them?

T

Travi34

No touch game??

Friday night game, some/most are driving/flying up on the Friday arvo, so no time for a Touch match unfortunately...

Saturday night game in Sydney made it work. also, doesn't seem to be many Canberrians around the place, in comparison to Boo-Tah fans ;)

Trav

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
Regarding Chisholm, I think it would be a waste for him to get LARS. Firstly, because he was no certainty for the World Cup anyway, and will therefore struggle to get back to fitness and make the squad. Secondly, because LARS will generally result in another ACL within a few years and he will have to go through the whole procedure again, as AFL players are finding out. Many only take LARS early in the season for this reason (the high chance of a repeat within a few years). It's better to take the 9 months now and move on rather than have to go through it again later. Although, you'd think that a Union 2nd rower wouldn't be putting the lateral strain on the ACL like most of the AFL players do. Best of luck to Chisholm, whatever he does.

any chance that chis might take the faster route not so much for the wallabies but to keep his overseas contract valid? if he's out for the longer recovery would that negate his deal?

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
any chance that chis might take the faster route not so much for the wallabies but to keep his overseas contract valid? if he's out for the longer recovery would that negate his deal?

This is what I was thinking. If he gets a couple of years out of it and keeps the overseas contract it would be the obvious choice. No club is going to hold a contract for 9 months. Makes sense to roll the dice and go the LARS route. How old's Chis anyhow - how many seasons does he have left in him?

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
Going to be a cold one on Friday night. Forecast maximum of 13 down to minus 4 overnight. Hopefully the teams will want to keep warm by running and we'll see a bit of enterprise. It makes handling an issue, though, if you're not used to it. I am not sure whether the long weekend will have any effect on crowd numbers.

I'll be there, anyway, so there will be at least one more yellow hat (scratch that, a blue beanie - too cold for hats) in the crowd. I'm also concerned about whether there won't be a post-big match let-down. Hope not, as the Rebs have shown they are not to be taken lightly. My feeling is that the Brums have set themselves for this 3 game local derby run home - Reds, Rebs, and the dark side next week.

Will also be good to see Stirling and Mark Gerrard and Julian Huxley back home, just as long as they aren't on the winning side this time ;) It's a great pity we won't get the chance to farewell Mark Chisholm, who I have enjoyed watching, and deserved a better finish to his Australian career.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Welcome to the forum Happy. Great first post mate. The Brumbies have set the mark high and will have to re-preform like last week.

Clawhammer

Herbert Moran (7)
Will also be good to see Stirling and Mark Gerrard and Julian Huxley back home, just as long as they aren't on the winning side this time ;) It's a great pity we won't get the chance to farewell Mark Chisholm, who I have enjoyed watching, and deserved a better finish to his Australian career.

Hopefully they'll let the Chizler hobble around pre or post game so we can give him one final cheer - he's been great for the Brumbies over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.