• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies v Sunwolves, Sat 28 May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Bloody Marto, mistakenly calling the Brumbies the Broncos in the heat of passion. For fcuk's sake.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Anyone know if Ruan Smith is eligible for Wallaby selection?

I believe he is eligible. There really isn't a THP shortage in Aus given Kepu can come into the Wallabies, with Holmes, Robertson in the squad, and a number of others who are just about ready to step up if required - Ruan Smith, Talakai and Makin. After Kepu, Ruan probably is the best of the lot in open play.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Can only play as good as the opposition allows, but the Brumbies were very good last night. Back to running the ball with a lot of off loading as well. Not coincidental that 10 tries were scored. A few of the tries were crackers too. The set piece try in the first half to Nigel Ah Wong was a great piece of innovation. It required Christian to make the line break but he did that and got away a perfect offload to Ah Wong for his run to the line.

The whole team looked to play better as individuals and as a unit than they have all year. The lineout was a huge strength, often winning on the Sunwolves' throw. Another try from a maul off a lineout win. The backline attack was much better than it has been recently. Christian took the ball to the line and all players were drawing the defense before passing to supports, a feature that had been missing lately. Many tries came from well executed backline plays which was most heartening to see.

Most impressed with Lealiifano, Fardy, Arnold, Smith and Moore (except for his woeful attempt at a chip kick). Aiden Toua showed great improvement in his all round game and didn't mess up with his kicking game also. His involvements from full back are looking very dangerous to opposition defenses. Ah Wong and Dargaville both had strong games on the wing. Neither Dowsett nor Powell (when he came on) put a foot wrong and were instrumental in getting the backline humming with quick service.

The replacement front row again was as strong at scrum time, or moreso, as the starting trio. Not much between Sio and Ala'alatoa these days I think. Ruan Smith was everywhere in defense and also had some good attacking touches again.

Combined with the very good form of the Tahs against the Chiefs, things are not quite so dark at the Wallabies' level for the upcoming tests against England. Good signs all round.

G

galumay

Combined with the very good form of the Tahs against the Chiefs, things are not quite so dark at the Wallabies' level for the upcoming tests against England. Good signs all round.

I think that is the main takeaway from this weekend, we will need to be at our best to take the Poms on and finding the sort of form both teams showed is very encouraging.

Its easy to frame the Bush Donkey's performance in the light of apsolutely woeful play from the SW's but 10 tries is still impressive and they will be very happy with how they took to the task at hand.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I'll preface this with the comment that a team can only play the opposition they have.

That said my god the Sunwolves are bad. As a fan of GoT I will not again call them dire. Are they even at a amateur club level? Seriously terrible.

I don't think the Brumbies can be assessed at all on that. A better assessment could be made about player form from an opposed training run. The Brumbies attitude to the game and their opposition was clearly demonstrated by Moore's attempted chip and chase in the first 10 minutes.

The Brumbies played well against what they had in front of them and that is all that can be asked, but nothing else can be taken from this. You can't say they attacked any better than the previous weeks where they clearly had nothing, because the Sunwloves barely defended and didn't contest the rucks at all excepting for Quirk's efforts.

The Sunwolves are the perfect example of commercial reasoning overcoming sense and devaluing the quality of the competition. How can Hore have said (allegedly) to Marto that they had exceeded their goals for this year. FFS what were their goals, to collect their pay checks and fly around the world while pretending to be a professional Rugby team. SANZAAR this is a joke.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
To be fair, a win, draw and a few bonus points (and not last) has probably exceeded their expectations. If Graham was still in charge of the Reds, it likely would have been 2 wins a draw.

Anyway, the Sunwolves and Kings just shouldn't be in the comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.