• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I criticised Hewats appointment months ago when it was announced, can’t remember who, but the decision was defended.

Personally I think the justification for the criticism is now evident.. the backs for all their talent look rather pedestrian, other then individual flair there was no real point their attaching structure really looked threatening.

Brumbies were done in the forwards though.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
But are they any worse than last year?

Yes! Less idea what to do. Combination and continuity issues. Player performance issues. Selection issues. There are some fairly good indicators to as to what and who the issues are.

During the week the Brumbies were spruiking that they have the most stable backline in Aussie rugby with only two changes from last year. Lilo and Peni.

From that you see indications that irrespective of who is at 10 (Lilo or Hawera) the composition of the back line is most likely an issue. The back line looked better last year even with its issues which also indicates that the flyhalf selection is not based on performance, form or combinations.

Compounding the immediate issue is Lilo who has had very limited time with the Brumbies current squad. He also hasn't played @10 in a few years except for his recent stint in the UK. Lilo predominantly has played @12 the last few years but if you watch him his is still light on weight and bulk (about 5kgs lighter than the past) and is still not strong in contact so inside centre could be an issue for him depending on the team they play.

During the trail games we also saw indications the backline issues. Both games Hawera enlivened the backline. So did Lucas. In the first trial the second half crew of Hawera. Lucas and guys like Muirhead and Dargaville (as well as some others) really showed some good attack. Taliauli showed good form and was strong in contact on the wing. These were guys who played in the NRC together and had established continuity. They all showed good form in the NRC, pre-season and when they have had previous opportunities. But where are they?

Last year the backline was poor in attack. Moving Banks to the back enlivened the attack and bolstered the defence. When Godwin was injured Smith and Dargaville got opportunities and the back line was much improved. This highlighted that Godwin was an issue in the back line. This could be reoccurring based on the available evidence.

You will also notice that the combination of Godwin and Kuridrani seem to stifle each other and they really dont function well as a combination. They do not complement each other. Possibly they are two alike and its why the backline lacks any real bite.

Kuridrani has had a mixed bag in recent times being quiet in many game, in others popping up for cameos then an odd good game here and there. His omission from the Wallabies were signs that his performances has dropped.

Consider current centres particularly outside centres and there are not many "straightline" runner like Kuridrani. Most are now more dynamic or played at 12 to better effect with a dynamic outside centre. I am unsure if he can off load and he rarely passes so its limiting. Compare him to the Kiwi centres who are dynamic runners who can offload and pass.

On top of the selection issues is the fact that their attack and in general game plan is too basic and predictable. This is with the addition of a new attack coach in Hewat.

Team sports are based on the whole teams performance and how they work together. The Reds made 34 tackles more than the Brumbies total. The Reds backline made 31 more tackles than the Brumbies backline! The Reds backline made 40% of the teams tackles while the Brumbies backline made 20% of their total tackles.

What Thorn knows but the Brumbies are yet to learn after being cut up by every Kiwi team last season is that the Kiwi teams love the slow forwards as the primary defenders as the chance for line breaks etc (especially on counter attack) is increased.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
TOCC, not defending Hewat in any way, but just how does your description of the backs differ from the way they have been playing for the past two or three years? The Larkham influence seems to be still at work. I cannot understand how such an attacking player could have stifled the team's attack in the manner he did.

The game plan needs to be addressed, but I think also the makeup of the side needs some changes. Players who are willing to chance their arms instead of being hamstrung by the set plays need to be given a chance. I'd like to see the likes of Verity-Am and Muirhead brought in, probably atm in place of Kuridrani and Speight. Probably would also liven things up a bit if Hawera came back to 10 and Christian moved out to 12.

I am flying a bit blind here because while traveling through Victoria, it has been impossible to get adequate internet coverage to view any of the games so far this year. What a backwards State as far as connectivity is concerned.

No matter, the two games so far this year amply demonstrate a need to liven up the attack, and something fairly drastic might be needed.

Reactions: mst

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think McKellar, like Thorn, will have to start making some tough selection decisions in the coming weeks...........

For me the only safe players would include Rory Arnold, Naisarani, Powell, Godwin and Banks...........

Despite there being experience in the pack, they’re lacking in real leadership, and really missing a player of Scott Fardy’s character.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
^^^
I agree with making some tough decisions. It may upset some (like the QC (Quade Cooper) thing) but it needs to happen for the greater good.

It also need to be selections that in combination yield results. Picking on individuals form that don't then make up a cohesive unit is pointless (EG: Brumbies 2011).

My worry is that McKellar has painted the Brumbies in to a corner as to try bed in new combinations can take a a little time. With 2x losses we are already in dangerous territory.

IMHO, I am still feeling sorry for Lilo. The expectoration that he could slot in @10 at Super Rugby level, in to an unfamiliar and team with only a few weeks lead time was almost setting him up to fail and is unfair.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I think McKellar, like Thorn, will have to start making some tough selection decisions in the coming weeks.....

For me the only safe players would include Rory Arnold, Naisarani, Powell, Godwin and Banks.....

Despite there being experience in the pack, they’re lacking in real leadership, and really missing a player of Scott Fardy’s character.
Yep some tough choices I'd drop Carter for Enever bring Sio in Bring Folu Fingana (spelling) on the bench or start. Benny A, as reserve TH and hope to God Poeys back soon..

Backline the same on the last chance though with the, possibity that Speight could go as well as Leo.. Big decision too come

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The Larkham influence seems to be still at work.

Maybe this is the real issue BR.

The Brumbies had the chance to change the culture and clean house but failed to do so. Consider that only Hewat has not worked with or served under Larkham. Larkham still sits in the Brumbies HQ and has influence from a Wallabies prospective.

The rich irony of this is the Reds are the perfect example of where the management kept rearranging the (internal) deck chairs when it came to coaching year after year and look where they are and what has happened to them.

There are undeniable parallels to the performance and supporter issues (both pissing them off and losing them).

Last years mould did not work but its almost exactly what McKellar is using and working from. It didn't work the years previous either.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
And on one occasion the players went on to win the competition. Sometimes the coaches are not the gurus and make and continue to make mistakes.

Reactions: mst

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Reds away always sucks. With the exception of the 22-14 back in 2011 and 29-0 in 2015, they always drag us down to a slogfest. I still have faith in McKellar because he, unlike either Larkham or Fisher, has shown the ability two weeks in a row to make changes at half time, and I think his use of the bench has generally been good. However, with the exception of Matt Lucas and Rory Arnold, our bench players have not made an impact when they've come on.

My concerns are simple; poor discipline, missed conversions, and limited impact off the bench. Without those issues, we would have won. The first two can be addressed, the latter entirely depends on the man management from the coaches. We'll see how that develops.

griffins

Watty Friend (18)
Yep some tough choices I'd drop Carter for Enever bring Sio in Bring Folu Fingana (spelling) on the bench or start. Benny A, as reserve TH and hope to God Poeys back soon..

Backline the same on the last chance though with the, possibity that Speight could go as well as Leo.. Big decision too come

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Speight on thin ice but Christian is our best back. Have a spell champ.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The Reds away always sucks. With the exception of the 22-14 back in 2011 and 29-0 in 2015, they always drag us down to a slogfest. I still have faith in McKellar because he, unlike either Larkham or Fisher, has shown the ability two weeks in a row to make changes at half time, and I think his use of the bench has generally been good. However, with the exception of Matt Lucas and Rory Arnold, our bench players have not made an impact when they've come on.

My concerns are simple; poor discipline, missed conversions, and limited impact off the bench. Without those issues, we would have won. The first two can be addressed, the latter entirely depends on the man management from the coaches. We'll see how that develops.
My concern:
Which is a 2017 statement or 2018 from the Brumbies head coach?

1. We have to make sure we pick and choose when we want to attack and where we want to attack from

2. The players are still learning how and when to pick their moments to attack

3. We're very proud of how we maul and how we defend mauls

4. the rolling maul is still a cornerstone of what we are trying to build.

1. Larkham, 2. McKellar, 3. Larkham, 4. McKellar.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Godwin is in quite good form but his style of play at 12 is definitely limiting, particularly with the quality of outside backs the Brumbies have.

I'd be tempted to have a crack with Hawera at 10 and Leali'ifano at 12 and see if that does a better job of unleashing the outside backs who are as good as anyone.

11, 13, 14 and 15 of Speight, Kuridrani, Peni and Banks is good enough to torch a bunch of teams but they aren't really getting the opportunities they deserve right now.

I feel like Kuridrani often takes a while to get going early in the season and isn't in the best form yet (and this is the time of year where we talk about him being done and Kerevi or Rona or someone else being about to take his Wallaby jersey) but he isn't being helped much by the opportunities he is getting.

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
A 10/12 if Hawera and Lealiifano with Kuridrani and Goodwin sharing 13 might be worth a try. Hawera subbed in the second half. The other option is to develop Banks as an alternate playmaker. plenty of firepower in the backs and when Pocock returns and the forwards regroup, this team will still be challenging for the conference top spot.

Too much gloom two games in. I’ll back them to bounce back against the Rebels.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Jesus christ you bunch of hysterical fannies.

We lost a game, a game which usually turns into an ugly shitfight full of niggle and high penalty counts. You cant just flip a switch and know how to run the ball expansively and score amazing tries like the kiwis.

In 6 weeks, if we're still butchering easy tries and failing to close out tough games, then start panicking.

It's round 2 ffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.