• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
If they were brave enough to bring a game to Campbelltown Stadium I'd be all for it. Many complain about getting to Homebush but that's not every half as much of a pain in the arse to get to as Allianz is if you live anywhere beyond the Inner West.
Both stadiums are walking distance from train stations, I dont get how so many complain about getting to grounds in Sydney?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Both stadiums are walking distance from train stations, I dont get how so many complain about getting to grounds in Sydney?

Many don't like having to leave their comfort zone and venture "INTO THE WEST!!!" of the city. A dark and dangerous place full of people not from the Eastern Suburbs/Northern Beaches.

I've never had an issue getting to Homebush and Campbelltown Stadium would be a doddle. The stadium is 100m from the station. It's ideal really.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Many don't like having to leave their comfort zone and venture "INTO THE WEST!!!" of the city. A dark and dangerous place full of people not from the Eastern Suburbs/Northern Beaches.

I've never had an issue getting to Homebush and Campbelltown Stadium would be a doddle. The stadium is 100m from the station. It's ideal really.
Nah, I can get, and have gone to Homebush from the East pretty easily and many times. My issue with it is the soulless vibe out there in current configuration and the complete and utter lack of places to go immediately nearby. Allianz is obviously easier for me but the getting to and fro would not stop me going to Homebush. Especially if they make it better.
Allianz is a prick to get to for many, especially for evening games. Plus poorly set up.
Now, Suncorp..........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Nah, I can get, and have gone to Homebush from the East pretty easily and many times. My issue with it is the soulless vibe out there in current configuration and the complete and utter lack of places to go immediately nearby. Allianz is obviously easier for me but the getting to and fro would not stop me going to Homebush. Especially if they make it better.
Allianz is a prick to get to for many, especially for evening games. Plus poorly set up.
Now, Suncorp....

Agree, I've never really had a problem getting to either of those grounds.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Now, Suncorp....

My post was more of a dig at Roger Davis and his aversion to taking games out west more than anything else.

T

TOCC

It's not hard.. technically Central to SFS is walkable, and evidentially a fair number of people do it. But it doesn't have mass appeal, by planning considerations 600m is considered the immediate walkup catchment for a train station, after that it begins to drop off. Given it's a one off event people may be willing to walk further then they are on their daily commute, out to 1.2km.

But SFS is 1.7km from Central and to be frank, it's not an easy walk for a family, it's not like it's a pleasant stroll through a park, it's uphill across some extremely busy streets and narrow pathways.

The new lightrail will assist greatly, but it's still not ideal.. journeys that requires passengers to interchange or swap modes of transport typically see a drop off in as well, especially for something like a sporting match where you will see a crush of fans.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
CBS has bought Ten, not the Murdochs/Fox as was anticipated by most.

Probably not great news for Rugby as they won't be looking for the cross-promotion opportunities

To be honest, I think CBS will be more suited to giving Aus access to sport in the manner the fans want. They've already got the NFL streaming over there, so the application already exists, they just need the infrastructure and agreements in place to roll it out.

I'm much more optimistic that Rugby will have a better chance to succeed on 10 with CBS at the helm than Murdoch/Fox.

diomac

Frank Nicholson (4)
Honestly I would love to see Rugby have a service like the NFL's Gamepass, let's me download games in HD, or Stream them live or after the game and airplay or cast them to my Nvidia Shields or Apple TV's.

Gets a lot of other game related content like all the trials and talk shows etc. I like I can watch the games how, when and on what I want. In a condensed or full format too.

Costs me about $280 per year and worth every penny.

Failing that I would like to see a Netflix or Amazon pick up the rights. I hate Foxtel having the rights, they make it so hard to access the content if we are honest and its just getting worse and they charge like a wounded bull as they are paying for sports content I just don't want

Reactions: dru
T

TOCC

To their credit foxte is getting easier...

I chromecast Foxtel from my phone onto my tv these days for the sport, pretty good quality as well

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
To their credit foxte is getting easier.

I chromecast Foxtel from my phone onto my tv these days for the sport, pretty good quality as well
What sort of internet speeds are you doing it off? Thinking about dropping the set top foxtel for the online now I have nbn on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

What sort of internet speeds are you doing it off? Thinking about dropping the set top foxtel for the online now I have nbn on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes running NBN, speed test says it's running around 16-20mbps download speeds, and I've never had an issue with the buffering at that speed.

Worked out cheaper for me to drop Foxtel and get Foxtel Now under one of their sports package deals a few months ago, it also has a little glitch every now and then when all the channels are made available. I managed to watch all the GOT episodes through it without ever needing to order that package.

The only downside, is that you do lose some of the convenience of just using a set top box, it can be a bit of a pain having to choose the channels off my phone. I bought a $30 google chromecast so I could cast it straight from my phone, but I belive you can also get Foxtel Now on PS4 and some smart TVs.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The quality is much improved since they re-launched as Foxtel Now.........

I'm running it through a PS4 and the picture quality is pretty good, and the frequency of dropouts have decreased......... but it's still heavily overpriced compared to other streaming services - you're essentially paying for HBO content or sports.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
The NRL is launching a streaming service with Foxtel from next year which will feature all NRL games, state of origin, men's and women's internationals, their state and u20 comps.

Won't be available in AU, New Zealand or Pac nations at this time . (Rolls eyes)

The AFL already has watchAfl up and running for $225 a year.

The future is coming......

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Amazon just won the live and on-demand rights for the ATP (tennis) tour in the UK and Ireland from 2019-2023. The shift is happening.

Its an interesting one as the shift is working for some and not other sports and content.

Its also even more fascinating that SANZAAR are opening their broadcast rights process so early to allow infrastructure shortfalls to be addressed. IMHO its a bit of a bull before the cart scenario. Especially as they don't know if SANZAAR will stay together and what it will be in the future and that wont be resolved quickly. I think all broadcasters will want to wait until post RWC so they have a good view of the SH markets.

So if you sign on an infrastructure hypothetical (EG: should be ready by xxx) how much risk are you willing to carry? Then what about the on-selling of rights? Traditionally the terrestrial broadcasters play nice together. Will it be the same if a "streamer" is involved?

Then there is the issue of what you get. So if Foxtel (foxsports) as to be cut out for example could that end all the pre, post and other related content they do as Amazon will only provide the games and nothing else?

The other issue that still remains is not all internet is created equal and there are real quality issue. Look at the NRC streamed games for example this year.

After reading the NZ herald article I get the sense that is little to do with SANZAAR rights and more about the NZRU looking at on-selling their AB's steaming rights (AB TV) they already have in place .

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Its an interesting one as the shift is working for some and not other sports and content.

Its also even more fascinating that SANZAAR are opening their broadcast rights process so early to allow infrastructure shortfalls to be addressed. IMHO its a bit of a bull before the cart scenario. Especially as they don't know if SANZAAR will stay together and what it will be in the future and that wont be resolved quickly. I think all broadcasters will want to wait until post RWC so they have a good view of the SH markets.

So if you sign on an infrastructure hypothetical (EG: should be ready by xxx) how much risk are you willing to carry? Then what about the on-selling of rights? Traditionally the terrestrial broadcasters play nice together. Will it be the same if a "streamer" is involved?

Then there is the issue of what you get. So if Foxtel (foxsports) as to be cut out for example could that end all the pre, post and other related content they do as Amazon will only provide the games and nothing else?

The other issue that still remains is not all internet is created equal and there are real quality issue. Look at the NRC streamed games for example this year.

After reading the NZ herald article I get the sense that is little to do with SANZAAR rights and more about the NZRU looking at on-selling their AB's steaming rights (AB TV) they already have in place .

The infrastructure side of the equation isn't as big of a hurdle as you may assume. There are companies active within our own market that could be contracted to produce high quality, professional standards sporting production. Plus, if Amazon really wanted to considering they have actually been developing their sports broadcasting division for 5 years now, they could comfortably take over the broadcast side of things if they wanted to.

I certainly don't think a new player(s) entering the market can hurt. I'd be interested to see if other players start looking seriously at the game particularly with the IPRC slated to start in 2019. I know AliSports has formed a partnership with RugbyPass in the wake of the investment commitment in China. So they could be on board in the near future. There is a lot of risk involved. I totally get that. But we are beginning to see the emergence of a whole new broadcast landscape that will rapidly transform how we consume sport.

Amazon, Facebook, Twitter and likely Google in the not so distant future will all be looking at similar arrangements. Even the traditional terrestrial broadcasters are going to need to adapt.

My bet on who will do it first here will be Channel Ten. They've just been bought by CBS and in the US CBS are leading the charge of the traditional broadcasters in creating streaming content via dedicated platform such as CBS Sports App. One of the platforms that will feature the MLR next year.

Reactions: mst