• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
They won’t allow more than 18 weeks for Super Rugby from start to finish due to Test season starting in July.

The only way to lengthen the season is to start mid-Feb or earlier, which they won’t do.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
They won’t allow more than 18 weeks for Super Rugby from start to finish due to Test season starting in July.

The only way to lengthen the season is to start mid-Feb or earlier, which they won’t do.

Why not? Because it's summer. That has been the argument for a long time. That it would be too hot etc. But then the South Africans joined the URC and play in their summer and have done just fine. And their summer weather in terms of heat and humidity is fairly comparable to ours. If they can manage it why not us? Hell, I'm even willing to entertain a season change to align more with the NH. Start the season in October. Run it through to May. Link up with the Japanese to create an Asian Pacific Cup which could be run starting in the November Test window. Could even do something akin to what they do up north in terms of the big event games around Christmas and New Years.

hoggy

Nev Cottrell (35)

They may not have much choice soon. The Wallabies & All Blacks are sporting teams competing in an entertainment market. really they are no different than an AFL or NRL team, and right now they are pretty much getting there arses kicked.
The business model the game has chosen is simply unsustainable. A test match every second weekend competing against 7 or 8 games every weekend It doesn't add up and as we are seeing the game is going broke.

They may not allow more than 18 weeks, but sooner or later they will have to.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Thinking about options for how super rugby could look 2026 onwards, how about something like this.

Super Rugby AU

- 5 teams
- 8 rounds (home and away)
- Top 2 play off in grand final to decide Aus champion

Super Rugby NZ

- as above

Then once above is completed they move to a "champions league" style tournament.

Champions League

- top 3 teams from Aus
- top 3 teams from NZ
- Fiji
- Jaguares
- 8 team comp, play each team once.
- Top 4 semis

Shield comp

- bottom 2 from Aus
- bottom 2 from NZ
- Moana
- Sunwolves
- 6 team comp, play each team once
- Top 2 grand final

Might create a bit of interest and not overly onerous travel schedule.
So 4 pro teams who have a total of 6-7 games in their season and have to fly around the world to play those games?

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Why not? Because it's summer. That has been the argument for a long time. That it would be too hot etc. But then the South Africans joined the URC and play in their summer and have done just fine. And their summer weather in terms of heat and humidity is fairly comparable to ours. If they can manage it why not us? Hell, I'm even willing to entertain a season change to align more with the NH. Start the season in October. Run it through to May. Link up with the Japanese to create an Asian Pacific Cup which could be run starting in the November Test window. Could even do something akin to what they do up north in terms of the big event games around Christmas and New Years.
Bold. I like it. However, extremely unlikely.

Last edited:

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
They may not have much choice soon. The Wallabies & All Blacks are sporting teams competing in an entertainment market. really they are no different than an AFL or NRL team, and right now they are pretty much getting there arses kicked.
The business model the game has chosen is simply unsustainable. A test match every second weekend competing against 7 or 8 games every weekend It doesn't add up and as we are seeing the game is going broke.

Test rugby is still the cash cow. They won’t risk that until they have confidence in something else. All indications are that RA will stick with Super Rugby with 4 teams in the hope of making that cash cow provide more milk.

However, change still might happen due to other factors happening across the ditch. So you never know hog, you might end up being right in the end.

Last edited:

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Article today in the paper suggests even this is wavering when compared to our competitors.

Women’s State of Origin now officially has a higher viewership than the last couple years of Bleds test matches.
When it was played, the women's state of origin was the highest rating FTA game of football of any code, men's or women's, so far this year.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
When it was played, the women's state of origin was the highest rating FTA game of football of any code, men's or women's, so far this year.
Yet I’m still unable to find anyone that watched it. Not dismissing it, but I’m skeptical of those figures. I know stacks of people that watch NRL

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
From what I’ve seen and heard since the decision, media coverage outside of rugby circles seems to be highlighting it as a proactive cost cutting measure from RA which is viewed as a positive move by the code.

Anyway we don’t need to turn this thread into more rehash about that situation, it can live in the Rebels threads. But I am not surprised that 99% of public opinions from outside rugby will support RA on it.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Yet I’m still unable to find anyone that watched it. Not dismissing it, but I’m skeptical of those figures. I know stacks of people that watch NRL

Being on Thursday night is probably a factor there. It was the main attraction that night.

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
Hardly complicated, 2 x double headers each week so only fees for two venues. Only one flight needed for the two teams and no overnight accommodation required to save money.

Double headers hopefully bring a slightly bigger crowd so more money to the teams.

It also becomes cheaper by using existing coaching staff, players, head office, media teams etc.

Think of each franchise being like the QLD reds having ownership of QLD country and Brisbane in the last NRC, it was a smart decision that was somewhat viable.

It is a short 8 week season, 6 rounds and 2 weeks of finals between Super AU and International series beginning, the non test players then go to clubland for the rest of the year.
traditionally the best place for players to develop for the following year / remain sharp for a test call up - amateur rugby.

half

Dick Tooth (41)

Article today in the paper suggests even this is wavering when compared to our competitors.

Women’s State of Origin now officially has a higher viewership than the last couple years of Bleds test matches.

Its been coming for years now, the competition for being the National team, once upon a time it was Cricket and then Rugby.

Today, we have major Netball games , Basketball is getting more international recognition, the Matilda's have blow everything away, Rugby League Pacific nations competition and key matches against NZ, then we have the SOO both mens and womens, and you can't write off the WAFL.

Hog, BTW its not 7 or 8 games a week, its 9 soon to be 10 AFL, 8 soon to be 9 NRL, 5 Basketball, 6 A-League, and 5 Netball teams, thats currently 33 matches, soon to be 35 matches per week. Plus the number of international matches across Netball, Basketball, League and Football, is over 30 per year. Also those 33 matches don't include the womens competitions in Baseball, AFL, Football and League, if you add those in as well the number of matches is 50 matches per week.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)

I have no doubt that’s true, but test rugby is still the cash cow for rugby. Has it wavered enough for RA to invest in something else that might put that at risk? I doubt it. All indications are that RA is still confident the Wallabies are the key whether we agree with that or not.

Last edited:

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
I have no doubt that’s true, but test rugby is still the cash cow for rugby. Has it wavered enough for RA to invest in something else that might put that at risk? All indications are that RA is still confident the Wallabies are the key whether we agree with that or not.
I don't think there's any chance at all that RA (or the member unions who they represent) do anything that put at risk the home test matches which pay for just about everything in Australian rugby.

If anything they are becoming more important, as Super Rugby popularity continues to decline. There's no other revenue anywhere.

84,000 at MCG last year. Sold out England tour the year before. Lions tour coming up. World Cup after that, and then the Nations Championship which should generate more revenue at the international level. The focus on Wallabies is only going to increase

half

Dick Tooth (41)
Strew

Astute post, and in my mind opens up for debate the often asked question regarding what is the best system to develop future test players.

In very nay overly simple terms do we fund Super Rugby or fund say 30+ club teams in various competitions.

The marketing spread of 30+ clubs IMO is much greater than 4 Super Rugby.

Bar TV, broadcast a lot of secondary sports and is in many pubs.

Suggestion only, but have test matches on 9 / Stan, with the 30+ teams on Bar TV.

As I said it's an overly simplistic overview but as the Rebels saga drags on it's obvious Super Rugby does not bring in the cash it's the test matches.