• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
gagrflow.png

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
I wouldn't mind a short term loan market either, not sure how well it would work, but wouldn't cause any probs as teams would only allow low end players on loan market anyway.

A ‘low end player’ is only low end until they’re not.

I wonder how many players would only stick around for one season of being ‘in the pool’ before realising they’re better off testing the market overseas instead of being player 34 in a 35 man squad.

I guess it’s not much different to what the current situation is but I have a feeling players will be more likely to jump and run rather than know they might get shipped off to WA from Auckland without notice.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
A ‘low end player’ is only low end until they’re not.

I wonder how many players would only stick around for one season of being ‘in the pool’ before realising they’re better off testing the market overseas instead of being player 34 in a 35 man squad.

I guess it’s not much different to what the current situation is but I have a feeling players will be more likely to jump and run rather than know they might get shipped off to WA from Auckland without notice.
I don't think anyone is suggesting a loan system where you could be "shipped off without notice". As has been mentioned before any sort of trade or loan system would need to be voluntary, likely under employment law in both countries as much as anything else.

As far as appeal for those players goes, it would absolutely be there - any player loaned is necessarily going to be getting more game time at the loan club and likely weren't getting any at their original club. Even if they're just looking for an overseas pay day it's likely they'll command more by actually taking the field for a season of super rugby, rather than just relying on NPC/Club form to sign a deal. I don't think there's a problem with those players then leaving OS after a year if that's what they want, but there's probably a greater chance of retention in the competition if they've been at a club that actually wants to use them.

I do think that for any sort of free player movement to work for Australia we need to get a proper 3rd tier up sooner rather than later, and ideally a few years in advance of it. The risk of player movement coming in first is that it'll hamstring efforts there and de-emphasise the immediate need for it, hurting our development pathways in the long run. Get it up and running first and the player movement can actually strengthen it, giving the players in it a larger market to speak directly to from the get go.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
loans are used in other sports quite well. English Premier League do it all the time and it's agreed upon by both parties including the player.

A couple of years ago Melbourne Storm loaned Harry Grant to the West Tigers for a whole season as he was good enough to be starting in the NRL and deserved game time, but was sitting behind Cameron Smith who was in his last season before retirement.

I don't think it will be overly common, i just think it could be 'another' mechanism to improve the competitiveness of the competition, especially when those teams are in injury crisis's

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't think anyone is suggesting a loan system where you could be "shipped off without notice". As has been mentioned before any sort of trade or loan system would need to be voluntary, likely under employment law in both countries as much as anything else.

Yep I get that, I was probably exaggerating a bit.

But I guess my point is that players particularly with it being a new concept for Super Rugby, don't have the mindset when they sign with a team that it's likely they could end up in a loan pool. I do worry that it's more likely the younger guys in particular who don't crack their main team's core player group and jump around a bit, might get itchy feet and look for more stability elsewhere.

Is the idea of a 'voluntary' loan system a bit of a misnomer in itself anyway? Like surely if you're a fringe player and are given the choice to sign your contract with a team and that includes a clause which says you're voluntarily entering the player pool or not get a contract at all, you're going to have to sign that deal.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yep I get that, I was probably exaggerating a bit.

But I guess my point is that players particularly with it being a new concept for Super Rugby, don't have the mindset when they sign with a team that it's likely they could end up in a loan pool. I do worry that it's more likely the younger guys in particular who don't crack their main team's core player group and jump around a bit, might get itchy feet and look for more stability elsewhere.

Is the idea of a 'voluntary' loan system a bit of a misnomer in itself anyway? Like surely if you're a fringe player and are given the choice to sign your contract with a team and that includes a clause which says you're voluntarily entering the player pool or not get a contract at all, you're going to have to sign that deal.
I don't think you can include a clause like that drops players into a loan pool with no say as to where, when or if you go when the time comes or have their contract be contingent on them being available for loans. Contract clauses would likely only cover the fact that on the agreement of both the player and team loans could be arranged under the framework as it exists, and they'd likely be standard in all contracts. From there you'd have players putting themselves as open to loans, but the players (and potentially the teams) would still get some say when a request from another team was made. Any loan would then have to come with a relocation allowance for the player as well and possibly some sort of "hardship payment".

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
A draft? FFS.

LOL the Cantabs and their finely tuned Murder Academy would just love to tell their next top young blue chipper coming along the conveyer belt "yeah, we know you've dreamed of being a Crusader all your life and we've invested in you as the next Dan Carter.......... but we're so sorry Moana Pasifica have drafted you ok so sorry bye bye then."

zer0

John Thornett (49)
...this could imperil the close relationship between NZ Rugby and Sky, which has held NZ Rugby’s broadcast and streaming rights in New Zealand for decades.

Significantly, [IP lawyer] also noted that there is a “use it or lose it” element to trademarks and IP. While you do not have to immediately make use of the entire scope of your trademarks, if you have not occupied them within three years IPONZ can remove them. It’s potentially telling that Sky’s current exclusive deal to broadcast and stream NZ Rugby’s games expires at the end of 2025 – a little less than three years’ time.

There are other clues that suggest this might be the direction NZ Rugby is headed. Silver Lake’s sports investments include MSG Group, which controls New York’s Knicks NBA franchise and Rangers NHL team, along with City Football, an investor in Premier League champions Manchester City. Each has a direct online subscription platform that enables fans to access full games, highlights and other content for a monthly fee. Both MSG and City Football operate these paid subscriptions under the suffix “plus”.

Do it. Kill Sky NZ. Take rugby from them and usher them into their end of life stage. I want to watch the light leave their eyes as they slowly gasp for breath, panicking as they realise they are unable to stem the bleeding of overpriced subscriptions to their shitty platform.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
It's all a long way off. I think it more likely something like Rugby Pass that will be only used overseas where you can't get games? Anyway, whatever it is and even in early stages where it looks to be all behind scenes stuff, I know I will sign up!!

Wallaby Man

Nev Cottrell (35)
There is a few in here that don’t have the faintest idea how loaning works in other sports. The player would have to sign off on separate terms and conditions to head to another club. It’s essentially just another contract with your registration based at your primary club.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
BeIN seems to have been dropped by Foxtel (and presumably Kayo). Used to like catching French/euro rugby and 7s on there. Wonder where, if anywhere, they will be broadcast here?

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
It’s a strange one, surely there isn’t the domestic demand to justify BeIN going it alone in Australia. They don’t really advertise or have a domestic partner for cross-promotion.

Unless there‘s something else at play here with plans of expansions or restructuring and they don’t want to lock in any contracts with local broadcasters whilst that’s occurring.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Looks like Mitchell, Gits and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are hosting a new rugby pod alongside ‘The Professor’ (ex-Matty John’s show segment/comedian who was pulled from the show because he’s shit).

The three former players are all genuinely good mates, so I expect the dialogue and banter to flow quite well. But I wonder how critically they’ll examine the state of the game. Their first promo for the poddy features Eddie so it looks like they might be tied in with RA itself in some way i.e. is it just a marketing exercise.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Even if not linked to RA, it would be in RAs interest to provide them free access to promote the business.
High profile sportspersons promoting the game would otherwise be costly.

Last edited: