• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Most games were sold out in Sydney- due to Covid.

I take your point about the finals games at Rat Park. Seemed like nobody was on the hill and the services of the Hillbilly bar not required. Must have been because it wasnt a home ground for anyone and is located at a far flung outpost of Sydney that the supporters of the clubs playing finals couldn't make the journey.

But I suspect the grandstand had more spectators- but you dont get to see it especially on the 1 camera Cluch setup.

The Warringah home games had spectators all over the hill right around the ground, and the Covid marshalls had their work cut out for them

The grandstand did have more spectators, you're right. One big reason for the lack of crowds during the finals would have been the horrendous weather we had on both weekends. You will recall the Eastwood v Norths Semi was almost gale force winds plus sideways rain.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The grandstand did have more spectators, you're right. One big reason for the lack of crowds during the finals would have been the horrendous weather we had on both weekends. You will recall the Eastwood v Norths Semi was almost gale force winds plus sideways rain.
The quality, IMO, just isn't there. I watched the GF and it was pretty poor.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Doesnt make any sense though. We are poorer now than when we cut them because were too poor. Does not compute.

Nah, its an subjective argument about whether they had the money to sustain a 5th team, however what is true is that they were cut because administration had different funding priorities at the time, and a lack of Super Rugby teams to generate broadcast content wasn’t one of them.

World has flipped upside down, funding priorities have changed, and RA needs teams now to generate content for broadcast value because the product they’re selling has dropped from 16 teams to just 10.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I think your definition of ordinary probably needs to be adjusted a little if you think the average person is spending over $600 on a pair of shoes.

Not disagreeing with you but RM Williams are a perfect example of how being poor is expensive. My RMs at $600 would last me 5+ years, whereas I'd be replacing my $60 sneakers every 6 months.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
I think your definition of ordinary probably needs to be adjusted a little if you think the average person is spending over $600 on a pair of shoes.

They can regularly be found for 200 bucks in Queensland at a sale and are worn by everyone from jackaroos to coal miners to lawyers. Perhaps New South Wales people should reflect on their misunderstanding of Queensland culture instead of the same tired cliched branding of everyone who wears an item of footwear as an elitist from Sydney's North Shore

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They can regularly be found for 200 bucks in Queensland at a sale and are worn by everyone from jackaroos to coal miners to lawyers. Perhaps New South Wales people should reflect on their misunderstanding of Queensland culture instead of the same tired cliched branding of everyone who wears an item of footwear as an elitist from Sydney's North Shore

Mate, I'm wearing RM Williams boots right now.

Regularly found on sale for $200 in Queensland? Please tell me where and I will buy a couple of pairs. This seems like wishful thinking or they're not actually the authentic product.

I agree they are very much part of Australian culture but new RM Williams are $600+. My point though is that the average person looks at them and thinks they are way out of their price range for a pair of shoes.

I reckon if you surveyed a bunch of Queenslanders who went to private school vs public school about RM Williams boots, you'd get pretty varied responses about what they though of them and the people that wear them.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)

Head out to Western Sydney and look at every second person under 30 rocking high end sneakers, timberlands and all matter of expensive clothing

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Mate, I'm wearing RM Williams boots right now.

Regularly found on sale for $200 in Queensland? Please tell me where and I will buy a couple of pairs. This seems like wishful thinking or they're not actually the authentic product.

I agree they are very much part of Australian culture but new RM Williams are $600+. My point though is that the average person looks at them and thinks they are way out of their price range for a pair of shoes.

I reckon if you surveyed a bunch of Queenslanders who went to private school vs public school about RM Williams boots, you'd get pretty varied responses about what they though of them and the people that wear them.

I suppose you can argue any which way - my overall point is that it's a very lazy stereotype to just lump in people who wear RM's as a rich, arrogant ignoramus from the North Shore of Sydney.

I myself earn below the median income in Australia and love RM's

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)

Have a look on depop, you'll find them (2nd hand) anywhere from $150-450. New boots you won't generally find anywhere below $450, but it is easy enough to get that price if you're patient.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
So, based on the Super Rugby AU draw, these will be the FTA Super Rugby games in 2021

Rd 1 - Queensland Reds v NSW Waratahs, Friday 19 February, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Rd 2 - Brumbies v NSW Waratahs, Saturday 27 February, GIO Stadium, Canberra
Rd 3 - Melbourne Rebels v Brumbies, Saturday 6 March, AAMI Park, Melbourne
Rd 4 - Brumbies v Queensland Reds, Saturday 13 March, GIO Stadium, Canberra
Rd 5 - Queensland Reds v Western Force, Saturday 20 March, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Rd 6 - NSW Waratahs v Queensland Reds, Saturday 27 March, Venue TBC
Rd 7 - Melbourne Rebels v Queensland Reds, Saturday 3 April, AAMI Park, Melbourne
Rd 8 - Queensland Reds v Brumbies, Saturday 10 April, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Rd 9 - Western Force v NSW Waratahs, Saturday 17 April, HBF Park, Perth
Rd 10 - NSW Waratahs v Melbourne Rebels, Saturday 24 April, Venue TBC

Qualifying FinalSaturday 1 May

FinalSaturday 8 May

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
So, based on the Super Rugby AU draw, these will be the FTA Super Rugby games in 2021

Rd 1 - TBA
Rd 2 - Brumbies v NSW Waratahs, Saturday 27 February, GIO Stadium, Canberra
Rd 3 - Melbourne Rebels v Brumbies, Saturday 6 March, AAMI Park, Melbourne
Rd 4 - Brumbies v Queensland Reds, Saturday 13 March, GIO Stadium, Canberra
Rd 5 - Queensland Reds v Western Force, Saturday 20 March, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Rd 6 - NSW Waratahs v Queensland Reds, Saturday 27 March, Venue TBC
Rd 7 - Melbourne Rebels v Queensland Reds, Saturday 3 April, AAMI Park, Melbourne
Rd 8 - Queensland Reds v Brumbies, Saturday 10 April, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Rd 9 - Western Force v NSW Waratahs, Saturday 17 April, HBF Park, Perth
Rd 10 - NSW Waratahs v Melbourne Rebels, Saturday 24 April, Venue TBC

Qualifying FinalSaturday 1 May

FinalSaturday 8 May

Rd 1 is Qld NSW as stated in the press release.

Add that to the Saturdays you get
Reds 6
Waratahs 5
Brumbies 4
Rebels 3
Force 2

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Edit: thanks D-box, missed the first game.

I wonder how much input the broadcasters had into which games were placed on FTA, i know its a continual cause for debate in the NRL with teams like the Broncos getting more FTA coverage then other teams like the Tigers.

Number of games available FTA:
Queensland Reds - 6 games
NSW Waratahs - 5 games
ACT Brumbies - 4 games
Western Force - 2 games
Melbourne Rebels - 3 games

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
I said this in the Where To Super Rugby Thread but it probably makes sense to have less WF in particular but also less Rebels games in the FTA broadcast.

On a Saturday night in both WA and VIC you will be going up against an FTA AFL game so the eyeballs you lose from not having NSW/QLD/ACT in will not be picked up by causal "home" fans from WA or VIC. The time zones are also not great for WA. I would think that the KO will be about 7pm which will be 4pm AWT at the beginning of the season and 5PM AWT post the end of daylight savings. Premier games in WA end about 5:15 so those times will clash with the local comp.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
I said this in the Where To Super Rugby Thread but it probably makes sense to have less WF in particular but also less Rebels games in the FTA broadcast.

On a Saturday night in both WA and VIC you will be going up against an FTA AFL game so the eyeballs you lose from not having NSW/QLD/ACT in will not be picked up by causal "home" fans from WA or VIC. The time zones are also not great for WA. I would think that the KO will be about 7pm which will be 4pm AWT at the beginning of the season and 5PM AWT post the end of daylight savings. Premier games in WA end about 5:15 so those times will clash with the local comp.

That's a valid point, realistically outside of the rugby union fans, Ch 9's target market will be capturing some of the flow-over NRL viewers in NSW and QLD..