• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

British & Irish Lions tour of New Zealand (2017)

M

Moono75

Marler looks like he should be in a remake of Dr Jeykell and Mr Hyde. He could play the part of a begging @sshole plying his trade in the London sewers!

M

Moono75

Chiefs picking up the physicality in the second half after the Lions had a couple of cheap shots in the first half. The first test against the AB's is going to be HUUUUUGEEEEEEEEE!!

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
Lions pretty fucking adept at slowing the ball down at ruck time. Chiefs B squad playing some loose bullshit, Lions playing test rugby.

Pray for rain.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Beaver was total custard. So far off that level to play at 1st 5 it was just sad. Oh God the Beauden chipkicks behind the line regathered with pitiful ease by the other team.

Total shartfest from the Chiefs. Instead of the helm of the Starship Enterprise, the SoupRugby decision-making epicenter capable of warp speed and Klingon face probes we got the C team trying to get out of the trunk of a Lada taxiing along in first gear.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Really enjoying these games. Partly because it's such a clash of contrasting styles and partly because I'm kind of enjoying watching Kiwi teams get towelled up for a change!

They are definitely getting outmuscled, the Lions players all look enormous, even their backs. I remember thinking in the Highlanders game that it was the only time I'd seen Naholo look small, but he looked positively diminutive carrying into contact against those Lions.

It will of course be a different story against the ABs but if the Lions can strangle the ABs ball and dominate the set piece I think they might be in with a shot on Saturday.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
The problem for the Lions game plan is that they're unlikely to enjoy the set piece control that they've, largely, had against the franchises. Particularly at the scrum. Indeed, if the Crusaders match is anything to go by, then their scrum could start attracting penalties instead of generating them.

Guess we'll find out on Saturday.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez the Lions played well last night and it has set up the test series brilliantly I reckon. I know the Chiefs were short a few topline players, but not too sure too many would of made too big of a difference. What we are seeing is teams struggling to score tries, because the Lions are not playing the game and letting anyone past that shows he can do a little shimmer, which tends to happen too bloody often in Super rugby I think.
Roll on Saturday!!

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
ALL BLACKS (15-1): Ben Smith, Israel Dagg, Ryan Crotty, Sonny Bill Williams, Rieko Ioane, Beauden Barrett, Aaron Smith; Kieran Read (c), Sam Cane, Jerome Kaino, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Owen Franks, Codie Taylor, Joe Moody. Reserves (16-23): Nathan Harris, Wyatt Crockett, Charlie Faumuina, Scott Barrett, Ardie Savea, TJ Perenara, Aaron Cruden/Lima Sopoaga, Anton Lienert-Brown

Coupla big calls there, dropping JSav for RIoane obviously the biggest, but Crotty for ALB not far behind, they must want his brains out there to organise the D Conrad-styles. Decision on Cruden or Sopoaga tomorrow.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...o-ioane-for-surprise-first-test-start-on-wing

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I thought he would drop either SBW or ALB, he made a comment after last week's test that there was too much off loading, and I thinking he wanting someone to just tighten it up a bit. Ioane I wasn't surprised about after the Blues game, but maybe a little after the Maori game, obviously maybe Shag feels he a bit better under high ball.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lions team looking very good I reckon.

bfae26d2ab73fe95e3284adbfa87bdc8.jpg

zer0

John Thornett (49)
I was in support of playing Rieko on the wing ahead of the Bus Passenger but didn't think Hansen would actually do it. Good stuff. Though Naholo was very good in his Highlanders outing, so may count himself unlucky.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
I was in support of playing Rieko on the wing ahead of the Bus Passenger but didn't think Hansen would actually do it. Good stuff. Though Naholo was very good in his Highlanders outing, so may count himself unlucky.

Completely agree here. I think with Naholo his game looks artificially better by playing under the roof - i'm not so sure that would translate to a wet Eden Park on Saturday. While Rieko didn't play particularly well for the Maori - I think it is good experience getting him ready for this weekend's test.

With all the focus on Rieko I think the overlooked aspect is Codie Taylor. Big pressure on him - can he deliver as the number 1 hooker.

Lions lineup looks really strong as expected. Eden Park what a setting. I cannot wait for this test.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Lions have named a really strong team.

Will Kieran Reid and Ryan Crotty be underdone? Seems a risk to be playing them ahead of Ardie Savea and Anton Leinert-Brown. I think the two on the bench have both been in fantastic form.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Will Kieran Reid and Ryan Crotty be underdone? Seems a risk to be playing them ahead of Ardie Savea and Anton Leinert-Brown.

Hansen has remarked that Read has the McCaw ability to play well straight off the bat without any lead up. His early season performances for the Crusaders after surgery would back that up. He should be fine.

Though if either, or both, of them are struggling, then Hansen has shown he has no qualms about making early substitutions.