• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Ben Tapuai

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronAwe

Bob McCowan (2)
This is true, however Taps has impressed me much more than either of those two players did in their first year. Anyway, time shall tell and it will be excditing watching it all unfold.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Taps has had a good year and made the most of the opportunities given to him but he is not ready for higher honours just yet. I would be wary of assuming it is a certainty if say you compare his progression so far with guys like Chambers and Tyrone Smith, both of whom numerous had pencilled in as potential Wallabies including Deans, but alas they went no further than mid week warm up games.

The difference between Taps and the other two you mention is that he has played a significant role in a winning team. I think that will hold him in good stead for years to come.

Anyone else think Qld will just keep playing two 12's in the centres from now on. It doesn't seem to hinder them at all.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
This is worth a look. A bit of footage from playing club rugby and U20's. He runs a bit sideways sometimes for Sunnybank but you can get away with it at that level. He was very straight for the Reds.

[video=youtube;YlubcO6Z-HE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlubcO6Z-HE[/video]

T

tranquility

I wrote at the same point a couple of weeks ago, but Tapuai potentially could become very unique 12 in terms of Australian rugby. First of all because he has always been a 12, and therefor understand the role. Ie not a 10, being pushed to 12 to fit in the side.

He has adequate ball playing to fulfill the second five role, but he also has the power game to be used as a straightener in attack as well. Add to that, that he is a copybook tackler and things are looking good. Oh oh, and he has a handy left shoe to boot. Pun intended.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
The difference between Taps and the other two you mention is that he has played a significant role in a winning team. I think that will hold him in good stead for years to come.

Anyone else think Qld will just keep playing two 12's in the centres from now on. It doesn't seem to hinder them at all.
I don't know that playing two 12's in midfield is a good long term strategy. Mail is that the younger Morahan is a 13 in the making, and I wonder whether his older brother might also be able to be converted? There is also talk that young schoolboy whiz F'Sautia is a potential top class 13, but early days for him.

No denying that Qld has good 12 stock. The probable outcome is that one or two of the current options will be lost to another franchise in the next couple of years.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I wrote at the same point a couple of weeks ago, but Tapuai potentially could become very unique 12 in terms of Australian rugby. First of all because he has always been a 12, and therefor understand the role. Ie not a 10, being pushed to 12 to fit in the side.

He has adequate ball playing to fulfill the second five role, but he also has the power game to be used as a straightener in attack as well. Add to that, that he is a copybook tackler and things are looking good. Oh oh, and he has a handy left shoe to boot. Pun intended.

His tackling is what has impressed me the most, is it too late for him to bulk up a little? I think this is his only draw back

Status
Not open for further replies.