• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Ben Tapuai

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronAwe

Bob McCowan (2)
I think this guy is underrated. I thought he did really well when he came on for the Reds.
I wasn't really expecting it, but thought he was a chance for the world cup squad. Going too far? Maybe, but I'm surprised no one has been talking about him. He impressed me almost every time he got the ball.
Is there something suspect about his play that I have overlooked? Because I think this guy is one to watch for the future.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
No chance for the RWC, but I loved the way he played in the Super Rugby finals. Didn't expect that much improvement and maturity so fast. If he keeps it up he'll definitely be in the frame in 2012.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think this guy is underrated. I thought he did really well when he came on for the Reds.
I wasn't really expecting it, but thought he was a chance for the world cup squad. Going too far? Maybe, but I'm surprised no one has been talking about him. He impressed me almost every time he got the ball.
Is there something suspect about his play that I have overlooked? Because I think this guy is one to watch for the future.

You weren't the only one impressed with his play, especially in the latter rounds. He looks a really good prospect for the next few years. Unlikely to break through this year, as others have said.

T

tranquility

He is one of those blokes that has been in the making for ages. Superstar schoolboy, U20 and club performer in Brisbane. Hope we can keep him.

IronAwe

Bob McCowan (2)
It's a shame he is behind so many great players at the Reds. Would hate to see him lose game time because there are simply too many other options at inside centre. Mike Harris and Faianga etc

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

He's certainly got a big future. Just a smidgeon too late to be considered this year.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
He will only get picked if there are any injuries, I would have liked to see him on an end of year tour to know he is in Deans thoughts

B

Braveheart.

He will only get picked if there are any injuries, I would have liked to see him on an end of year tour to know he is in Deans thoughts

Unfortunately the end of season tour this year is to NZ - and he won't be considered.

Won't be suprised if he factors next year.

Cracking this RWC squad at this point with Barnes and Horne both returning to the frame along with Fa'ainga, McCabe, Giteau and ACC (plus potentially JOC (James O'Connor) and Digby) will be a bridge too far.

To be honest in an RWC he won't even be on the radar.

With all the above mentioned players, the centres depth isn't looking too bad after all.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I rate Taps, and I thought his performances in the finals was outstanding. But I still think Harris is above him at the Reds. Wow so much depth!

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yea, he will be of great use to the Wallabies in years to come. But i wouldn't have picked him in this years world cup squad.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
From the Super 15 final he was easily in the top 5 players on the paddock that night.

S

Skippy

Good young player who I'm sure will figure in the wider Wallaby squad ranks in the next few years. I would like to see him put on a few more kg's in lean muscle mass as I think he might be a little light/small at test match level and struggle with the physicality of that arena. That being said, he does punch above his weight well. I think McCabe has a real chance to secure the 12 role long term for Australia if we want to play a big crash balling 12. I expect AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will stick around for the Lions tour in two years and bow out to chase a pension payment overseas as he will be around 30 by then I think?

I think the real challenge to McCabe at 12 will come from a fit and in form Horne over the next few years IF he can stay on the paddock. I remember Horne playing a lot of 12 years ago and always believed he would eventually move back closer to the action.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
It's great to see Taps playing with the same promise as when he partnered Robbie Horne in the Oz Schools mid-field. Not seeing him play in Brisbane and not seeing him on the park for the Reds made me wonder how highly he was rated. I didn't think that the hiring of Harris did him any favours either.

He got a run at 13 earlier in the year but that was never going to be his position and he had to wait until Round 13 to get another shot. How many times have we seen serendipity when a player has been injured and his replacement has starred? Harris got crocked and Taps was in. Because of his early unhappy game at 13 he got to play at 12 and A.Finger went to 13.

Happy days: 7 games later we are talking about him being a Wallaby candidate - and rightly so. Well done Taps.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I think the real challenge to McCabe at 12 will come from a fit and in form Horne over the next few years IF he can stay on the paddock. I remember Horne playing a lot of 12 years ago and always believed he would eventually move back closer to the action.
That must have been for NSW Schools as he hasn't played a lot for Southern Districts in any position and only a couple of times at 12.

When he played 12 for NSW Schools he was the real deal. He did all the stuff you see him doing for the Tahs when he isn't crocked plus ball playing and even some good tactical kicking and attack short kicking. What a pity he doesn't seem to have the body for pro rugby.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Taps has had a good year and made the most of the opportunities given to him but he is not ready for higher honours just yet. I would be wary of assuming it is a certainty if say you compare his progression so far with guys like Chambers and Tyrone Smith, both of whom numerous had pencilled in as potential Wallabies including Deans, but alas they went no further than mid week warm up games.

Status
Not open for further replies.