• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
William of Orange. Is he any relation to the Dutch folk who ended up in Safferland as the Boers?

The Dutch do OK in Diveball, and their Women's Rugby Team is fairly well rated.

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
Rock,

With the greatest of respect I wouldn't put forward the Holden Cup competition as the shining example of why defence is better on the league side of the fence. Having seen quite a few HC games this years they don't call it 'TURNSTILE CUP' for no reason!

You get lower scoring cricket matches!
Partly true, but it is generally noted that Leaguie Boys are Generally much better tacklers than Most of their Union Counterparts, just have a look at the Wallabies, they can't even catch the high balls let alone tackle.

Bill McLean (32)
William of Orange. Is he any relation to the Dutch folk who ended up in Safferland as the Boers?

The Dutch do OK in Diveball, and their Women's Rugby Team is fairly well rated.

Oh yes! He was a Dutch prince. Cut from the same cloth as the SAffers HJ!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Partly true, but it is generally noted that Leaguie Boys are Generally much better tacklers than Most of their Union Counterparts, just have a look at the Wallabies, they can't even catch the high balls let alone tackle.

What makes a boy who plays both codes a "Leaguie"?

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
What makes a boy who plays both codes a "Leaguie"?
Probably a boy who has had more experience in that particular code. I think its great there are mixtures of different talents as it all helps, As a Player you will only improve if your playing with the Best Players.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Lol. Well at least they could tackle ! You pick the right players for the positions you need and don't play boys out of position, If you want to win.

What a silly comment: the first NZ try was 12 on 12 from a set piece.
You can have your M&Ms - they do not consider a passing option until it is too late and in consequence were ineffective against some low key but effective opponents yesterday.
I dont recall Taylor but I know some have been banging on about his omission for some time. Wally Lewis was an also ran in an undefeated Oz Schools touring side. They are different games requiring different skills as yesterday's game showed.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Please,
take it to the proud parents thread!

I hope that The Rock isn't a parent or relative of the Taylor boy.

It is very poor form to talk up your own boy on these threads as if you were an independent party.

Pretty sure that the selectors do not read G&GR, so it is a rather pointless and sad exercise IMHO.

Bill McLean (32)
... ... ... ... ... ... Pretty sure that the selectors do not read G&GR, so it is a rather pointless and sad exercise IMHO.

HJ,

I can confirm (though I won't reveal whom) that I have known several 'junior selectors' to read these pages! G&GR has an informative membership mate and some like to pay attention to it as far junior players are concerned!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Bugger you @Newbie. That will open the bloody flood gates.

It is still a rather pathetic exercise.

There is a heap of good stuff on G&GR that important personages (and the unpaid research interns) in Rugby should pay attention to rather than School kids talking up their mates, and family members being proud of their boys.

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
What a silly comment: the first NZ try was 12 on 12 from a set piece.
You can have your M&Ms - they do not consider a passing option until it is too late and in consequence were ineffective against some low key but effective opponents yesterday.
I dont recall Taylor but I know some have been banging on about his omission for some time. Wally Lewis was an also ran in an undefeated Oz Schools touring side. They are different games requiring different skills as yesterday's game showed.
Forwards Yes Different but Not Outside Backs and especially Wingers. Its up to the Coach to sort out a few Adjustments to the team and regarding the two M&MS play and the Game Plan.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Forwards Yes Different but Not Outside Backs and especially Wingers. Its up to the Coach to sort out a few Adjustments to the team and regarding the two M&MS play and the Game Plan.

Which coach? Their league coach isnt going to teach them because that's not their role. As I understand it one of them plats 2nd row in mungoland.
I've watched quite a bit of these 2 and them not passing prior to contact is not due to a change in game plan.
If you don't think there's a world of difference in the outside backs between league and union then this discussion has nowhere to go.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Accidently the <insert car manufacturers> Cup match Manly vs Canberra was on the TV sometime ago.

Inspired by some posts on G&GR, I watched about 20 minutes with some interest. One Schoolboy star grassed a high ball, and missed two tackles, one letting in a try. The overall tackling in that game was pretty poor, with some fairly soft tries being scored. In terms of game plan, well they demonstrated that they could count to 5, as did the referee, but it was pretty much like the Under 9's - Give the ball to the fat kid to run into 3 other fat kids. Fortunately the ITM cup game starting reminder popped up and I could watch some decent footy instead of that yawnathon.

HTF anyone can say that RL is exciting? It takes all sorts I guess. I will concede that their tattoos are more colourful.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
I am a Big Fan of quite a few boys, Milne, Tepai, Rohboni Warren Vosayaco, Short, I am also a Huge Fan Of another particular boy Taylor.

Dear Rock,

While I appreciate that you are obviously related to Charlie and are no doubt his biggest advocate, which is perfectly fine, to come on here and constantly sing his praises, say how it is rugby's loss, insinuate weaknesses in other players to somehow push his cause or suggest he should be there in such a repetitive nature proves nothing. As mentioned even if selectors did read this thread I would sincerely doubt it would have any impact but rather it is transparent of a relative pushing his cause.

Charlie didn't have the best Oz schools tournament. I watched every game and can attest that it isn't ridiculous that he missed Oz selection. That said as pointed out his opportunities were more limited than any other player in the backline. The passes and kicks always seemed to find Jones and the ball had to get through Moeroa, Milne and Kellaway which the game plan didn't seem to advocate. That said of his limited chances some he took and some he spilt. His defence was ok but missed a few also. In all given NSW 1s dominance I thought it would have been fair to see him the Oz A team. Obviously the selectors didn't see it that way. I actually think, for what it is worth and I have mentioned before that ?I think he stands a better chance if a professional rugby career than league. He doesn't fit the modern day profile of an NRL winger.

In regards to his Oz schools league and again taking nothing away from Charlie he wasn't initially picked in the team and was called up late due to injury. I heard he played ok over in NZ although they lost the first game and gave up a 28-6 half time advantage to win 32-28.

It is ludicrous to suggest all league players are better defenders, Milne, Henly and Moeroa were good yesterday but definitely no better than some of the "rugby" boys, Deegan was a standout in defence.

All in all I implore you not to heap anymore on Charlie, should he have success in the future than congrats to him. Should he like so many before him with aspirations and fail to get there then he has some great achievements to look back on. I wish Charlie all the best and hope he realises his potential.

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
Dear Rock,

While I appreciate that you are obviously related to Charlie and are no doubt his biggest advocate, which is perfectly fine, to come on here and constantly sing his praises, say how it is rugby's loss, insinuate weaknesses in other players to somehow push his cause or suggest he should be there in such a repetitive nature proves nothing. As mentioned even if selectors did read this thread I would sincerely doubt it would have any impact but rather it is transparent of a relative pushing his cause.

Charlie didn't have the best Oz schools tournament. I watched every game and can attest that it isn't ridiculous that he missed Oz selection. That said as pointed out his opportunities were more limited than any other player in the backline. The passes and kicks always seemed to find Jones and the ball had to get through Moeroa, Milne and Kellaway which the game plan didn't seem to advocate. That said of his limited chances some he took and some he spilt. His defence was ok but missed a few also. In all given NSW 1s dominance I thought it would have been fair to see him the Oz A team. Obviously the selectors didn't see it that way. I actually think, for what it is worth and I have mentioned before that ?I think he stands a better chance if a professional rugby career than league. He doesn't fit the modern day profile of an NRL winger.

In regards to his Oz schools league and again taking nothing away from Charlie he wasn't initially picked in the team and was called up late due to injury. I heard he played ok over in NZ although they lost the first game and gave up a 28-6 half time advantage to win 32-28.

It is ludicrous to suggest all league players are better defenders, Milne, Henly and Moeroa were good yesterday but definitely no better than some of the "rugby" boys, Deegan was a standout in defence.

All in all I implore you not to heap anymore on Charlie, should he have success in the future than congrats to him. Should he like so many before him with aspirations and fail to get there then he has some great achievements to look back on. I wish Charlie all the best and hope he realises his potential.
Sorry but your Comments are Laughable. Lol. Are you related to Deegan ??? But this kid is well on his way for a Top League Career, The NRL don't put Contracts in Corn Flake Boxes for any kids If they are Not a High Standard in All Aspects of their game and especially the Manly Sea Eagles. As I have stated and I don't have to Justify myself, but I am not Related at all but know this kid should be in there. He has just Represented Australia in Schoolboy Rugby League and apparently scored in both games and nearly a second in try in the second Test and played Fantastic ! it won't worry Taylor not being picked as he will be training with 1st grade and will be making his Debut I am hearing next season, his Manager is the leading NRL Agent who doesn't just take anyone on, he manages Jonathan Thurston as well. He will be on Big $$$$ with a New Deal about to be signed. I think Manly Sea Eagles and Mr Papahatzis are much better judges than yourself Lol. I am just saying If the Aussies Boys want to win overseas, then Taylor should be the other Winger with Jones and the ASRU also need Tepai and Milne in the team. PS. Its Nice that you have been following the Australian Schoolboys Rugby League Team as well and Know so much about it.

blackheart

Peter Burge (5)
Please Mods, at what point does constantly promoting an individual, become just as intolerable as bagging an individual??
edit; CP, you got in before me!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
What is the prognosis on the Matt Sandell and Brad Wilkin injuries?

These two would be assets for any Northern Tour, which is going to be very demanding and peak levels of fitness and preparation will be needed?

What is the criteria for Under 18 in NH? Down here it is must not turn 19 in the Calendar year, ie turning 18 on 1 Jan 2013 is OK, and turning 18 on 31 December 2012 is Not OK. Do the "Home Nations" have the same criteria?

There is a bit of debate over the U18 vs Schools teams. Technically the lions share of our lads will have left school after Matriculation exams in November, but not many will be full time semi-pro apprentice athletes when they tour up in December.

Status
Not open for further replies.