• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

half

Dick Tooth (41)
My position is to take the current framework and realities and work within that.

Yours is to basically take a blank slate and start again with your preferred structure.

I agree with plenty of your ideas but I don't see them as a commercial reality. I don't think you can just turf out everything you have and start again without vast financial backing that we are not even close to having. If the ARU had $100m in the bank then maybe that would be the way to go.

Your major criticisms of the NRC seem to relate to things that it has never tried to be.

to take the current framework and realities and work within that.

The current reality is not working and in need of fixing with a view to medium to long term planning.

Yours is to basically take a blank slate and start again with your preferred structure.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

My ideas are to work totally within long existing rugby structures.

In simple terms lets have a 50 team NRC.

Take existing major teams like SS in Sydney, and regional teams... grade them lets say across 3 divisions, 1 to .

Example Eastwood would be grade 1, Parramatta would be grade 2 or 3, Penrith grade 3.

Newcastle grade 1.

So you would have in Sydney say 20 teams and Central Coast, Newcastle Hunter.

You keep travelling distances reasonable so the Gong, Sydney, CC & Newcastle / Hunter play against each other. Same in Brisbane etc.

Perth may not have a grade 1 team and there best team maybe grade 2.

Then each say regional competition play off against each other, and the champions of each region play off against each other, and the team that comes last and first in each division swaps places.

So if Gordon was in Div 1 and came last, and teh Gong was in Div 2 and came first they would swap divisions.

This way you involve all teams all players and its inclusive and will grow the game and highlight the skills and talents of many more players who could be identified and developed.

This way you get multi competitions and rewards for doing good, lots more local media and everyone gets a go.

The cost to the ARU is 000000000.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Nothing could be further from the truth.

My ideas are to work totally within long existing rugby structures.

In simple terms lets have a 50 team NRC.

Take existing major teams like SS in Sydney, and regional teams. grade them lets say across 3 divisions, 1 to .

Example Eastwood would be grade 1, Parramatta would be grade 2 or 3, Penrith grade 3.

Newcastle grade 1.

So you would have in Sydney say 20 teams and Central Coast, Newcastle Hunter.

You keep travelling distances reasonable so the Gong, Sydney, CC & Newcastle / Hunter play against each other. Same in Brisbane etc.

Perth may not have a grade 1 team and there best team maybe grade 2.

Then each say regional competition play off against each other, and the champions of each region play off against each other, and the team that comes last and first in each division swaps places.

So if Gordon was in Div 1 and came last, and teh Gong was in Div 2 and came first they would swap divisions.

This way you involve all teams all players and its inclusive and will grow the game and highlight the skills and talents of many more players who could be identified and developed.

This way you get multi competitions and rewards for doing good, lots more local media and everyone gets a go.

The cost to the ARU is 000000000.

Your starting point is to take an organisation the ARU doesn't control who have maintained fierce independence and restructure them completely.

I don't think that is working within the current structures.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
About time we all get with the modern view:

Women can do anything men can !

Get rid of gender bias and just have sport. So no mens and womens tennis, rugby, swimming, weight lifting, boxing etc etc.

That way everybody men and women, are on a level field. The best players get the contracts and the money.

It's all about being fair to both genders

I understand you're being tongue in cheek, and I think it's perfectly fair for the money to go where the attention does.

But right now the Women's national comp is a mess. Barely existent, other than a 5 day tournament and a couple of smaller warm-ups. Surely Women deserve a national comp?

I also think in finesse sports we should remove gendered competition. Shooting, as one example.

Reactions: dru

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
The market should set the price for women's sport, because like in everything the market is king.

However, right now it's not a marketplace because the only national women's rugby is played over 5 days and only on facebook live.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely the best bang for your buck in terms of helping Women's XVs would be to give the teams more money to prepare for and get to the national tournament.

I don't see much point funding a national competition if all your money is being spent on getting the players to the games but doing nothing to help improve those players.

Some money for players to help get them to training, some paid coaches and then financial assistance to get to the national champs would help a lot.

Certainly from there you would look to expand to a national competition but it seems there needs to be some steps beforehand.

The players need the means to get to a better level before you're spending the money on giving them a platform for more people to see it.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Surely the best bang for your buck in terms of helping Women's XVs would be to give the teams more money to prepare for and get to the national tournament.

I don't see much point funding a national competition if all your money is being spent on getting the players to the games but doing nothing to help improve those players.

Some money for players to help get them to training, some paid coaches and then financial assistance to get to the national champs would help a lot.

Certainly from there you would look to expand to a national competition but it seems there needs to be some steps beforehand.

The players need the means to get to a better level before you're spending the money on giving them a platform for more people to see it.

I think spending money getting them to games (so they can do proper physical prep and game review) would massively change the quality of play.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
This is Australian Australian Rugby.

Young kids, boys and girls, being involved, have there faces light up through good experiences.

half

Dick Tooth (41)
Your starting point is to take an organisation the ARU doesn't control who have maintained fierce independence and restructure them completely.

I don't think that is working within the current structures.

BINGO .

BINGO.

BINGO.

Has the penny dropped, the existing structure sorry organisational structure is in need of fixing.

I have often posted FFA spent almost four years in discussion with their state federations former NSL teams, the district associations.

FFA had the same actually a lot more to solve.

Ignore the internal one up-men ship between the state and national body. Does the idea make sense.

IMO its the obvious way to go but it needs someone to drive it through.

We already have the structure, its state v state v ARU 1900's arguments and issues standing in the way or maybe not has anyone put forward the idea to them. They may support the idea.

Does the idea make sense and its working with existing teams.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Everyone knows the existing structure is a problem. You either need those structures to decide they will do what they ARU wants or for the teams that make them up to demand something different.

FFA's situation was totally different. They don't have a sport that is strong in two states and weak everywhere else but is desperate to try and get a national footprint.

Their existing competition collapsed. It was fertile ground for someone to come in and take control. It wouldn't have worked if he wasn't willing to spend a lot of his own money and have club owners willing to spend a lot of their own.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Everyone knows the existing structure is a problem. You either need those structures to decide they will do what they ARU wants or for the teams that make them up to demand something different.

FFA's situation was totally different. They don't have a sport that is strong in two states and weak everywhere else but is desperate to try and get a national footprint.

Their existing competition collapsed. It was fertile ground for someone to come in and take control. It wouldn't have worked if he wasn't willing to spend a lot of his own money and have club owners willing to spend a lot of their own.
We are not going to get tens of millions of taxpayer money including a broadcast deal to put a comp together either

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

half

Dick Tooth (41)

We are not talking about the A-League we are talking about the NRC.

It does not need much money at all.

Take the existing SS teams in Sydney, add teams from the Gong, Central Coast, Newcastle Hunter, Brisbane, and say a OLD regional, a Melbourne competition and a Pert competition.

Lets say all up we have 50 + sides.

Rate them from Div 1 to Div 3 maybe Div 4.

So Eastwood, Sydney Uni are Div 1, Parramatta Div 3 etc.

When the regions have determined their champions we need to fund travel and accommodation for a handful of knock out games.

Each team becomes part of the NRC at different levels and those that do poorly using Gordon as my example would go down a division and someone would come up.

Now maybe actually probably the Perth champion would not be ready for even Div 2, so it could stay and so could the Perth competition remain at Div 3 status until it grows and improves.

This way we actually involve the rugby community, give them something to strive for.

Also it would be the platform to develop a plan B away from Super Rugby.

But its not the A-League its compared .

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I wonder / wish / hope.

Could the sponsors possibly come back at grass roots level and as the saying goes jump on the #makeclubrugbygreatagain train.

Thats club rugby Ausralia Wide.

I like watching 3 or 4 grades on A saturday - I'd hate to loose that.
Have you seen how close most grades are in the SS - I'd hate to try and pick a favorite in any grade.

Maybe reduce the SS to 10 teams.
Have a club State of Origin NSW v QLD.
As the building blocks to build / bring in others states over future years.
or
Maybe the final series consist of the top 4 NSW / Top 4 QLD / Rising / Spirit / Vikings, and that way brand is retained.

I dont know but gee ARU have lost touch

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As posted in the NRC thread.......

While the sponsorship figure has been reported to be worth as much $1million, it is understood the actual amount is around a fifth of that and closer to $200,000.

Canberra Vikings chairman John McGrath said he was made aware of the situation three weeks ago and conceded the club could foot the bill.

"The Buildcorp money goes into administration whereas the broadcast money pays for flights and accommodation, so it's not as dramatic as we first thought and we don't anticipate much change," McGrath said.

"The ARU are working assiduously trying to find a replacement. What happens without one? I'm not sure. At very worst there is a participation agreement which allows the ARU to charge a participation fee to meet those costs."

Vikings Group boss Anthony Hill agreed there will likely be some additional costs for the club, but is confident it will be "business as usual" when the season kicks off in September.

"We have not been notified of any [costs] to date but you'd think there would be an additional cost to all licences," Hill said.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I have read a few articles on this now - Buildcorp has contributed considerable amounts to rugby. I have heard Josephine speak, and what she has referenced is also referenced in this one;
http://www.bandt.com.au/marketing/b...-sponsorship-arus-national-rugby-championship

core values.

So what are the core Values of the ARU, I havent seen these.
Given the current tregectory do these values get reviewed.
Unaccustomed as I am to seeing the ARU in a favourable light it sounds to me as if buildcorp issued an untenable ultimatum. Taking what others have said about the variable numbers and commitment to the Shute shield female version I dont see how the ARU could accede to a demand that there be a female comp mirroring the men's.
Based on the dubious levels of spectator involvement and engagement in the men's it couldn't even be justified as a loss leader.
Suncorp have pulled the pin on the maroons so there's evidently a bit of sponsorship realignment going on.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hamburgers were great, it was one of those games were the day / game beat the scoreboard.

"The real winner was the game of rugby. And Warringah."

You're a good man Dave. A true good news story out of rugby in a tough year, just a shame some are using it to drive the wrong narratives.