• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Alan Jones analysis is that participating in Super footy is losing money...
The only things that can fix Rugby in Australia is to go back to to two provinces, and to stop calling themselves Reds & Waratahs.
Oh,and to appoint Alan Jones as Wallaby coach.
Seriously :(

Everyone has strong opinions re AJ but what I like is at least there is a voice of hard protest getting some premium attacking airtime re the state of the code today.

Right now the AJ rugby comments story is upper front page of the SMH online.

Australian rugby today badly lacks any form of coherent, organised protest movement designed to, for example, unseat the ARU board.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
T

TOCC

Doesn't mean his opinion isn't valid.. He comes with little baggage and club affiliation but has enough expertise to know what he is talking about..

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
yeah how in his day NSW and Queensland were unbeatable-they(or one of them) actually beat Manawatu.!!
ffs hardly a nz powerhouse union(even back then)

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Alan Jones has made a huge contribution to the debate about the current state of ill health of Australian rugby.
He is dead right when he said:
  • Schools are putting more emphasis on AFL and soccer.
  • Lack of ARU investment into club rugby must be changed.
  • huge logistical expenses in mounting a Super campaign.
  • traditional names of teams changed and fans not going along with it
  • the game is boring when in 80 minutes you get 20 minutes of rugby
  • The current number of Super Rugby teams must be slashed
  • "Pick up your paper today, and you'll have to turn 15 pages in to find any mention of rugby."
  • "We have to pur money into the grassroots".
Many of those points have been made on this forum too.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
I suppose one way to look at things would be that more Government money could be allocated - that way Pulver would get the pat on the back from the board for increasing revenues.
At the moment, Pulver is paid close to $1m salary and he doesn't seem to have any KPIs to achieve to keep his job, he is after all looking to extend his contract - who wouldn't?
As far as the franchises are concerned, they don't need to win, they just need to play to get paid, no KPIs there, if sponsorships and memberships slip, the ARU has in the past slipped the franchise a golden handshake, no problems mate.
So a disastrous season with the threat of closing franchises could be just the ticket to win more funding from the golden public purse.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
At the moment, Pulver is paid close to $1m salary and he doesn't seem to have any KPIs to achieve to keep his job, he is after all looking to extend his contract - who wouldn't?
I'd imagine Billy P had one KPI from the board over the last couple of years - get the ARU out of the financial dire straights. To his credit, he seems to have achieved this.

His challenge will be the next term which will have a broader range of criteria - linked to the strategic plan that the board put in place last year (and have already reviewed!)

He's going to have his work cut out for him on multiple fronts

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I'd imagine Billy P had one KPI from the board over the last couple of years - get the ARU out of the financial dire straights. To his credit, he seems to have achieved this.

His challenge will be the next term which will have a broader range of criteria - linked to the strategic plan that the board put in place last year (and have already reviewed!)

He's going to have his work cut out for him on multiple fronts

The headline says that. But the same headline accountancy said the sub-prime investments were all top grade. They said HIH was solvent and profitable right up to the time it filed for bankruptcy.

I am very suspicious of the manipulations that those in charge make especially when they are extremely evasive an non-transparent about the organisation.

I look at the ARU and I wonder what hidden clauses they have signed up to but gloss over and hope these liabilities never eventuate, or occur after they have taken their golden handshake. Such as the alleged/implied guarantees in the Rebels "Private Equity" deal.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
The headline says that. But the same headline accountancy said the sub-prime investments were all top grade. They said HIH was solvent and profitable right up to the time it filed for bankruptcy.

I am very suspicious of the manipulations that those in charge make especially when they are extremely evasive an non-transparent about the organisation.

I look at the ARU and I wonder what hidden clauses they have signed up to but gloss over and hope these liabilities never eventuate, or occur after they have taken their golden handshake. Such as the alleged/implied guarantees in the Rebels "Private Equity" deal.
Don't need to worry about anything that complicated mate.

Worry how the ARU is going to deal with another world cup year shortfall + fewer tests the year after without a Lions tour or England 3 match series for 2 cycles

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Don't need to worry about anything that complicated mate.

Worry how the ARU is going to deal with another world cup year shortfall + fewer tests the year after without a Lions tour or England 3 match series for 2 cycles

That is still 2.5 years away. They have to make it that far. I am sure they will not. In a way I think it would be better to have a quick explosion that allows a full clean out and complete rebuild. This long slow death is actually destroying the foundations of the game.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I dunno Ulrich, that's kind of depressing to watch know what once was
To me it signals a few things.

1. Australian rugby can reach those heights again.

2. The talent has always been there.

3. You are innovators and you just need the right Aussie coach to innovate once more.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Back in the day;
politics in rugby wasnt rife,
people played for enjoyment,
teachers at schools world coach,
you would have a drink out of a hose,
you didnt need to wear helmets when you went for a bike ride,
you played rain, hail, or shine,
it was tackle from the u 6s up
it was proper 15 man rugby from u9s.

Reactions: dru

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Wait. There was a time when politics wasn't rife in rugby? When was this???

For a week or so back in the early 20th century?

There's an opportunity for a WWI trench comment in there, but I feel as though it'd be as popular as stroll through the 1917 Ypres countryside.