• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
There is just a lack of facts in this whole debate.

Can someone lay out for me how much each SS club received in 2015 from the NSWRU/ARU? And how much they will receive in 2016? And 2017?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
There is just a lack of facts in this whole debate.

Can someone lay out for me how much each SS club received in 2015 from the NSWRU/ARU? And how much they will receive in 2016? And 2017?
I believe 0 on most accounts but not 100%.
Some clubs also contributed significant funds to ARUs NRC and Im not sure how all that worked and would be interested in knowing.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
ARU have provided a bailout to the the Force, it's in the Australian today that the ARU have acquired the intellectual property rights and super rugby license of the Western Force for $800'000. Apparently the ARU retained the IP rights of the Rebels when they sold them and would look to acquired the IP rights of the existing franchises in the future, but the Force needed the money and that's why they were sold now.

Can elaborate more on this? Are the Force now under control of the ARU since they own the license? What value can you place on IP rights in a comp like super rugby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ha, $800K. We fucking sold them jousting sticks.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The ARU's plan is to try and get the public school system to do some heavy lifting to broaden the rugby base from private schools.
Sounds good except that, as usual, its getting someone else to do the real work and then distributing the spoils to sommeliers and ex mungo ballers.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The ARU's plan is to try and get the public school system to do some heavy lifting to broaden the rugby base from private schools.
Sounds good except that, as usual, its getting someone else to do the real work and then distributing the spoils to sommeliers and ex mungo ballers.

I don't know what this means. Sommeliers?

Isn't the ARU doing the 'real work' here itself, through more development officers and funding programs in schools??

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Love the idea about increasing public high school rugby, and would love to see the business plan, and cash flow, and how's it going to be executed.
Who is going to manage it?
The number of personal needed to carry it out?
Who are these personal, where are they now?
Are there going to be junior village clubs involved to double the touch points?

This needs to be an 8+ year plan, young kids starting in kindy, and carrying through so the current highschool run off is reversed. Any plan less than that would be un thought out.

Still say engaging premier clubs in this plan with grants would be a long term vision. At least history says they will be around to carry through plans and execution

Sent from phone will proof read later.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Still say engaging premier clubs in this plan with grants would be a long term vision. At least history says they will be around to carry through plans and execution

Sent from phone will proof read later.

spot on.
And if pullover (thats a spell check I wont correct) is worried about "pissing it up against a wall" create a trust for the advancement of rugby in each district club and make people he trusts the trustees and let them distribute or control the distribution of the money.
Much as I hate to quote anything fitzy writes (even if he is only quoting others:
Eastwood president and one-time Wallaby centre Brett Papworth on the ARU's lack of funds for the grassroots game: "It is alienating us now. We don't rush out to buy tickets to Test matches. You know why? Because we don't care any more. Do you want to know why the stadiums aren't full for Bledisloes any more. It is because the rusted on footy fan who puts the flags out every Saturday, who gets the kids to training and makes sure club games happen every Saturday feels shafted."
Papworth getting his money's worth: "There's no money spent. No money spent at all. Our issue is in the last published [ARU] annual report - we haven't seen 2015 - [Pulver] spent $106 million. The ARU, they are the guardian of the game. Let me tell you where they spent it: $25m was head office salaries and benefits ... The game at grassroots level nationally got $4m, $56m was spent on the professional side of the game, which is Super Rugby grants, Wallabies payments, sevens programs."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fitz-files/theres-one-competition-that-nrl-players-win-hands-down-20160219-gmyfdf.html#ixzz40ahSDCwB
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook
I think IS is referring to where the ARU's money ends up. Can't be too bad if the wine trade profits from ARU activities...

I guess its not all bad
Isn't the ARU doing the 'real work' here itself, through more development officers and funding programs in schools??
Which schools? As Dave Beat says (having given the AFL and ARL a headstart) they need a bit more than Mike Doyle holding back the tide for the whole of Western Sydney.
The solution lies in the clubs because they can get 'em and keep them (there is no weekend school sport) from cradle to grave - something they can't do with private school kids.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think IS is referring to where the ARU's money ends up. Can't be too bad if the wine trade profits from ARU activities...

Still don't understand the point. It seems to me that with this announcement the ARU is doing more of the 'real work' than they have ever done before.......

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The more I read on this the more I think Papworth and Dwyer are a duet of emotion. They both claim the ARU is refusing to fund the grass roots. What they actually want is to divert funds that would otherwise target grassroots, in favour of 12 clubs in a closed elite comp. the Shute Shield.

That system has produced the vast bulk of Wallabies in the past, especially if you add in the Brisbane premier clubs. But things are changing. Funding allocation needs to shift with that change.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Which schools? As Dave Beat says (having given the AFL and ARL a headstart) they need a bit more than Mike Doyle holding back the tide for the whole of Western Sydney.

The solution lies in the clubs because they can get 'em and keep them (there is no weekend school sport) from cradle to grave - something they can't do with private school kids.

I think it's got to be a double handed approach.

Agree that the clubs need to be supported.

But in schools you have a captive audience, and can reach kids who may never have been exposed to rugby before. They haven't considered joining a club, or there parents have never watched the game. It's a massive area of potential new players.

If interested, they can then be directed to their local club, providing said club with a stream of players they have never had before.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

But in schools you have a captive audience, and can reach kids who may never have been exposed to rugby before. They haven't considered joining a club, or there parents have never watched the game. It's a massive area of potential new players.

If interested, they can then be directed to their local club, providing said club with a stream of players they have never had before.

Bang on. It needs to be a coordinated effort. The ARU gets the kids involved and playing at school and the clubs actively distribute information to said kids and their parents about playing the game outside of school.

Another approach is to use the schools as clubs. It's something a group of people I knew were looking at while I was living in Karratha, WA. There were a lot of kids of Eastern State/NZ/SA origin in town who really had no ambition to play soccer or AFL. There was a junior RL team that grew to have 150 kids pretty quickly but many just chose not to play.

For those who did the competition was quite shallow and required a lot of distance to be covered.

After some digging it was determined that there was enough interest for a 10s league based around the Karratha area (8 schools within 20km of each other) across three groupings. Games would be held Friday evenings. The RL team wasn't pleased as they would have lost at least half their kids.

Unfortunately, over the course of the next 6 months all but one of us left town for variuos reasons. But still, food for thought.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

Agreed, i posted this in another thread here is the NSWRU, Manly Roos - running a program with the local schools.

Getting the key age groups interested at schools, and engaging clubs.

Reactions: dru

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
spot on.
And if pullover (thats a spell check I wont correct) is worried about "pissing it up against a wall" create a trust for the advancement of rugby in each district club and make people he trusts the trustees and let them distribute or control the distribution of the money.

There is no secret what club i follow, so only an example:
In the offseason discussions resulted in a camp on the 8th, and 22nd Jan.
In Marlins Blue
Manly Marlins Colts - involved
Manly Marlin First Graders - involved
Manly Mermaids Ladies Sevens - involved
Manly Marlins sponsors - involved
NSW Waratah - involved

Again all in the off season.
As above t has to be an 8+ year plan - can we get more Marlin Blue than Sea Eagle Maroon, i want a crack at it.

Mini marlins.jpg

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Agreed, i posted this in another thread here is the NSWRU, Manly Roos - running a program with the local schools.

Getting the key age groups interested at schools, and engaging clubs.

That's great. But unless I misheard it's only a 5 week program. We need school kids engaging in proper organised Rugby. More kids, more Rugby, brighter future.

T

TOCC

Why 8 years Dave?
A 5 year plan works in line with the broadcast funding, I.e the ARU know how much money they have to spend on development officers and programs over the next 5 years.

You can ace longer term goals and objectives, but 5 years is the practical length when talking the allocation of resources for the immediate future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
And in a summary of those 2 posts,
I ask the ARU;
- what is currently being done?
- what is going to change?
- who is going to manage it?
- how many personal are needed to carry it out?
- who are these personal, where are they now?
- are village clubs and premier clubs as per above going to be used to double the touch points?

This needs to be an 8+ year plan, young kids starting in kindy, and carrying through so the current high school run off is reversed.
Any plan that is less than 8+ years is a plan that should be put in the bin.
Plans are reviewed, adjusts, improved year on year.

Still say engaging premier clubs in this plan with incentive grants would be a long term vision, as they would carry through and provide the "pathway" to higher honourrs. But more importantly retaining the great values that rugby is known for world wide - great people loving the game.

T

TOCC

Just so we're clear, this plan hasn't actually been released yet...maybe read the report next week then post questions

I still don't see what 'engaging' premier clubs with money achieves, until premier clubs guarantee that they won't spend money on player payments and make cuts on player payments, then ARU funds shouldn't be directed to them at all.