• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
Sigh... You basically losing focus on what was good about super rugby au. Convenually leave out the cross over after it. So we are selling Super Rugby Au, which more Australian's are interested in, the near sellout finals showed that. You are selling a joint venture cross over champions league/Shield plate with NZ. That gets you more games. You know what running Super Rugby Au. You can even sell it packaged up with Super Rugby NZ.

But one thing that running it as a standard alone comps gives you is flexibility. Oh Australia wants to add more teams. Fine... We want to invite Japan's to our Champions league.. great...

Currently we have one product that is set in stone, we have a final series with too many teams, and one final. But keep flogging super rugby that's not so super. We could even have qualification to shield / cup be based on the year before and play a longer season domestically and a cup season during it. There's so much more opportunities, and products to sell..

But hey what were doing now with super rugby's great... We get 6 games a weekend woohoo

I doing drawing with my nephew the other week and he drew me his dream house. It was a mansion with cookies for walls and a jelly bean bed with lasers from the roof. He was adamant that he was going to build it one day.

You have no idea how similar this situation is...

And to be clear I'm not defending super rugby as this amazing thing rather so pointing out all of the massive, gaping holes in these ideas for a domestic competition that are ignored by a large bunch of people who can't seem to think past what format it will be.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
Seems legit..
This Life-Size Gingerbread House Is Made of Real Cookies and Candy! |  Localish - YouTube

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I doing drawing with my nephew the other week and he drew me his dream house. It was a mansion with cookies for walls and a jelly bean bed with lasers from the roof. He was adamant that he was going to build it one day.

You have no idea how similar this situation is...

And to be clear I'm not defending super rugby as this amazing thing rather so pointing out all of the massive, gaping holes in these ideas for a domestic competition that are ignored by a large bunch of people who can't seem to think past what format it will be.
errr yeah because running a two year trial (forced or otherwise) that was a massive success isn't a good indication of it. How long would it have had to run for you to say it was successful? How long would super rugby have to suck before you say its not.

But I guess when you actually have no reputable other then 'it won't work' then you can resort to talking about super rugby as the greatest rugby sporting comp in the world. You and Your nephew will end up as the only two fluffybunnys in the stands.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)

You are defending it though. A competition that's failed Australian rugby for 20 years and hemorrhaged fans. I'm sure a few more tweaks and it'll be great. Lets go down to 2 teams and we could even win it every 3 years.

The big question with a domestic competition is how much money could be put behind it from the beginning, thus determining how many teams are viable and how much the players could be paid. I suspect it'd be more than you think. But even if it wasn't much and we ended up with something closer to an NPC level standard, it would still give professional rugby more reach and a base to build from. The Wallabies would have to pick from anywhere, but looking at Argentina at the moment that might help them.

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
errr yeah because running a two year trial (forced or otherwise) that was a massive success isn't a good indication of it. How long would it have had to run for you to say it was successful? How long would super rugby have to suck before you say its not.

But I guess when you actually have no reputable other then 'it won't work' then you can resort to talking about super rugby as the greatest rugby sporting comp in the world. You and Your nephew will end up as the only two fluffybunnys in the stands.
Super Rugby sucks - just not as much as something that would likely tank the game does. And brother please - you just need to scroll back like 2 days at most to see the arguments I've made, it's not that hard...

You are defending it though. A competition that's failed Australian rugby for 20 years and hemorrhaged fans. I'm sure a few more tweaks and it'll be great. Lets go down to 2 teams and we could even win it every 3 years.

The big question with a domestic competition is how much money could be put behind it from the beginning, thus determining how many teams are viable and how much the players could be paid. I suspect it'd be more than you think. But even if it wasn't much and we ended up with something closer to an NPC level standard, it would still give professional rugby more reach and a base to build from. The Wallabies would have to pick from anywhere, but looking at Argentina at the moment that might help them.
This...

What is this based on? The private equity we failed to secure last year after firms massively wrote down the value of the code? Consortiums who can't name who is in them, or how much money they have?

This base to build from, the NPC level competition - would mean we have even less money to pay players and would see us return to amateurism in our code. Like it or not - we don't control the player market - so when all of our best guys leave and we're trying to signal to fans and the corporate world that 'hey - we've actually got something pretty good going on" what is the business plan to actually achieve this when:

- We have 8-12 teams instead of 4-5 and are now paying $20m to run all of them (this is the average cost of a super rugby team pa, and includes everything that would reasonably be expected of any new professional outfit) - so straight away costs are up.
- Our broadcast deal AT BEST would be the same, as we'd be supplying the same amount of content as we are now (5-6 games a week), but likely lower as networks have clearly signalled that quality of product is important. So more cost and equal to less revenue from our largest revenue source
- At this point we have less money to pay players - it would take a miracle for our best to stay onshore for pay cuts in a lower standard competition, further degrading the value of the competition and teams in the eyes of sponsors and broadcasters.
- Oh, and the average attendance for Super Au in 2021 was 9,498 (this includes the final which people love to cherry pick as a sign there is massive demand....), so it's not like we can hand on heart say that it was massively more popular than Super Rugby Pacific (this years australian home game av is actually higher at 10,720 but massively skewed by Reds games).

All this aside - I actually completely agree with you that having more teams would be great for the game from a development perspective and that we should be able to pick a whole team from outside of Australia if thats where our best players are. But - from a commercial perspective - there is nothing to suggest that a weakened domestic competition would be better for the game, than super rugby is now - even though itself is shit.

The tiniest amount of thinking can land you at this conclusion, yet so far all I've read across hundreds of these forum messages can amount to:

Domestic competition -> cool format -> get paid.

Last edited:

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

Cool....all you'd have to do is basically restrict every Australian's ability to leave their house for the year leading up the domestic competition and then watch the interest explode!

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
Cool....all you'd have to do is basically restrict every Australian's ability to leave their house for the year leading up the domestic competition and then watch the interest explode!
Outside of the 2021 final I'm still trying to work out what parts of it were any more successful than Super Rugby in any of the immediate preceding or following years. All of the available data on crowds, audiences and memberships say it was all much of a muchness.

The SRAU final was awesome, but maybe instead of it signalling that there is this burning desire for a domestic comp, it signals we just get around grand finals and big events in this country, and that outside of the MCG we'd probably sell out any venue that hosted a Super Rugby grand final now

Last edited:

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
I sympathise with both camps here. I’d prefer a thriving trans-Tasman competition myself, but I remain hugely sceptical that RA and NZR are capable of making the required adjustments to get it there.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
What is this based on? The private equity we failed to secure last year after firms massively wrote down the value of the code? Consortiums who can't name who is in them, or how much money they have?

This base to build from, the NPC level competition - would mean we have even less money to pay players and would see us return to amateurism in our code. Like it or not - we don't control the player market - so when all of our best guys leave and we're trying to signal to fans and the corporate world that 'hey - we've actually got something pretty good going on" what is the business plan to actually achieve this when:

- We have 8-12 teams instead of 4-5 and are now paying $20m to run all of them (this is the average cost of a super rugby team pa, and includes everything that would reasonably be expected of any new professional outfit) - so straight away costs are up.
- Our broadcast deal AT BEST would be the same, as we'd be supplying the same amount of content as we are now (5-6 games a week), but likely lower as networks have clearly signalled that quality of product is important. So more cost and equal to less revenue from our largest revenue source
- At this point we have less money to pay players - it would take a miracle for our best to stay onshore for pay cuts in a lower standard competition, further degrading the value of the competition and teams in the eyes of sponsors and broadcasters.
- Oh, and the average attendance for Super Au in 2021 was 9,498 (this includes the final which people love to cherry pick as a sign there is massive demand....), so it's not like we can hand on heart say that it was massively more popular than Super Rugby Pacific (this years australian home game av is actually higher at 10,720 but massively skewed by Reds games).

It's based on the fact Australia has a lot of very wealthy rugby union fans. There's a massive difference between seeking $200 million in PE investment for a minority stake in all of Australian rugby. That's an entirely commercial decision made by large firms seeking a return. Investing in a sports team is more emotional and ego driven. I'd say the fact there was a consortium of investors at least trying to save the Rebels is also a good sign.

A few additional points:
- Super Rugby AU averaging 9.5k during Covid was fantastic. It compares to a 10.4k average for the NRL that year (they now average ~20k). The AFL also averaged a little over half their normal amount.
- The vast majority of revenue is made from the Wallabies/test rugby, including the broadcast deal. Instead of desperately trying to keep the most expensive players based in Australia we could use the same amount to run a pretty high level domestic comp from year 1. Add up how much RA spends on Super Rugby and central contracts, divide it by 8, what does that equal? That could be your salary cap for an 8 team competition at a minimum. It would be significantly higher paying than the NPC, let alone anything close to a return to amateurism.
- The cost to the team owner(s) is not $20 million per team, it's whatever the difference between revenue and expenses is.
- A domestic comp would have significantly lower travel and accommodation costs than Super rugby.
- There's not that many 'professional rugby player' jobs available in the world for Australian players (or players from most nations) that pay more than what a comp like this would pay. For most current super rugby players it would be the best they can get.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
A lot of these wealthy fans tend to be pretty astute with their cash and I find it highly unlikely they would in all likelihood give it away to Rugby for nothing back.

Unless you can find the billionaires willing to let a bit go for a passion project like Twiggy and the Force it's fanciful in my mind.