• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I don't think it's a problem. I just find it interesting.

Queensland Country was playing at the Gold Coast and regionally, and Brisbane City was mostly playing at Ballymore or QPR clubs around Brisbane.

I would have thought those who live in Brisbane would go for Brisbane, and those who didn't would go for the Country team. But evidently, it's more complicated than that
Yep Strewth, mate I went to games in both places (but I a rugby nerd etc) and found everyone wherever just struggled with taking on either team. As I said, I really think a border as such so you could get behind one or other would of been a bit better. Straight where the players were playing, I know maybe they tried evening up teams or something, in my experience that doesn't work as it ends up being seen as almost a couple of invitation teams or something? Not sure why, but my take might have been coloured by experience following NPC etc over the years?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't think it's a problem. I just find it interesting.

Queensland Country was playing at the Gold Coast and regionally, and Brisbane City was mostly playing at Ballymore or QPR clubs around Brisbane.

I would have thought those who live in Brisbane would go for Brisbane, and those who didn't would go for the Country team. But evidently, it's more complicated than that

Didn't seem complex to me either. I supported both, focus on whoever was at home. When they played each other my focus was on the Reds and checking out possible new talent for the squad.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
When they played each other my focus was on the Reds and checking out possible new talent for the squad.

I think this is the key point. It wouldn't be an issue in a new 2nd tier domestic comp that's not feeding into anything else (other than the Wallabies and maybe a state of origin match or series). The ARC division - North and South of the river makes the most sense to me as I think both would need to be based in Brisbane. Each team could take 1-2 games per season to other areas in their territory.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
@Pfitzy , sounds good idea going forward. I like most found the NRC fell over because (in Brisbane at least) we could never identify with teams.

I dont think that's entirely true; In the first season the NRC Grand Final at Ballymore featuring Brisbane City drew 7'500. Fans in Brisbane initially engaged, but engagement declined season on season thereafter.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
^^^^
If we can't get people to align with something as simple as Brisbane City, and not-Brisbane City (ie Queensland Country), does a new comp that doesn't just contain the Queensland Reds have any hope at all?
I love that picking a team is such an issue in Rugby. Always the big things! Country, city, this side of a River or that side, this school, that school, local club etc....sounds like you need a fricken survey from the old Dolly magazine - How to avoid picking the wrong team - 10 tips to picking the right Rugby team - with free survey to see who you best align with for life to avoid a bad break-up.

Growing up in AFL heartland years ago all the teams are in one city so you just picked the one you wanted to support. No reasons required, just pick! It great as it automatically creates diversity, good rivalries and you don't care about where players come from etc, just that your team and players are better! We have a 5 team split across our family. I have friends here in CBR that are passionate paid up Adelaide Crows supporters (one even has a fricken Crows theme song doorbell!). Do they care where they play? Not really. Do they care about player origin? No. Do they have any idea about the local SA Clubs? No idea whatsoever nowadays.

I have to say this is where I see the huge difference in AFL. I have juniors 8-12yrs old that can name the majority of players in the AFL teams they support (and its a big mix of teams), and some that can name almost every player in the AFL competition. This is in Canberra where they get 4 AFL games a year. Yet the GWS has a supporter base of over 10K paid up members (yes, just in CBR!) and most games sell out. (If you do want to do the comparison the Brumbies get about 59K over 7 games to GWS that get 52K over 4 games. AFL ticket prices are higher).

Rugby is too stuck in the amateur levels, history and tradition. Rugby simply does not have the basic of 8+ teams going at it week after week at the professional level that people will identify with. And nothing puts people off sport quicker than politics, power trips and old fashioned shackles that are out of touch - which Rugby is currently built on.

Rugby needs to have a really hard look and think about the VFL to AFL transition. Controversial?, Yes, Did it break away from tradition? Yes. Did it kill off some clubs? Yes - but via relocation and creating some new ones. Was it a popular move? Not at the time. Did they get it right the first time? No. We are still seeing the building and expansion issues. Does it generate revenue to feed back to all levels of the game? Yes.

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)
With my limited knowledge of Queensland I would say Toowoomba would be a better base if they wanted to set up a pro team outside of Brisbane. There are a couple of rugby playing independent schools and a university, and it’s a good fit geographically, so it’s an easier sell. For similar reasons I reckon Bathurst/Orange would be a good location in NSW. I don’t know about Toowoomba but the problem with Bathurst/Orange is there isn’t a stadium that could handle a pro team.
Agreed, there is plenty of good footy played around Orange, I'm sure the Orange Emus would love a new grandstand bankrolled by someone, their facilities are already pretty decent.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Agreed, there is plenty of good footy played around Orange, I'm sure the Orange Emus would love a new grandstand bankrolled by someone, their facilities are already pretty decent.
Their grandstand is of minor concern compared to the playing surface

Tomikin

David Codey (61)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240618-204456.png
    Screenshot_20240618-204456.png
    228.9 KB · Views: 54

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
It's a no brainer.

Half the reasons I watch NRL teams outside of the Cowboys and Rabbitohs is to see how the QLD Origin players are performing.

If you're to translate this to Super Rugby, i might actually have interest in NZ Super Rugby matches if there were some Australians/Wallabies playing in those teams, which is healthy for the competition.

But i doubt the way RA/NZRU approach contracting will allow it..

wamberal99

Bob Loudon (25)
It's a no brainer.

Half the reasons I watch NRL teams outside of the Cowboys and Rabbitohs is to see how the QLD Origin players are performing.

If you're to translate this to Super Rugby, i might actually have interest in NZ Super Rugby matches if there were some Australians/Wallabies playing in those teams, which is healthy for the competition.

Loig is a no brainer as far as I am concerned.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's a no brainer.

Its far too sensible for those fucking retards. They have had so many opportunities to take positive steps to make Super Rugby an interesting competitive competition and instead we get Moana Pacifika...

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah - let's say Taniela Tupou signed with the Crusaders, how does his top-up get paid?

Likelwise, how does NZ enforce All Black rest periods when they are signed byb Australian Super Rugby teams, etc etc

I don't think it works under current arrangements, at least for any international player.

Last edited:

Tomthumb

John Solomon (38)
Yeah - let's

Yeah - let's say Taniela Tupou signed with the Crusaders, how does his top-up get paid?

Likelwise, how does NZ enforce All Black rest periods when they are signed byb Australian Super Rugby teams, etc etc

I don't think it works under current arrangements, at least for any international player.
It gets paid when he actually plays for the Wallabies, like every other sport

Rest periods? They need to go, absolute blight on the game and counterproductive to sustaining a respectable comp

Player movement within super rugby is the only way to genuinely create interest in the comp

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)

Rest periods? They need to go, absolute blight on the game and counterproductive to sustaining a respectable comp

Player movement within super rugby is the only way to genuinely create interest in the comp
So match-bonus instead of a salary top-up?

like i said, i doubt the way RA/NZRU approach contracting will allow it..

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)

OK, but then you are picking TT for the Wallabies from OS because he isn't staying here on a NZ or Australian Super Rugby salary.

Which seems a bit counter-productive

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
We should have a poll.

Would you rather your country a) priortised international success (noting this provides >80% of revenue for all rugby in both countires), or b) attempt to equalise Super Rugby as a competition to make it more competitive?

Last edited: