• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v NZ. Bledisloe Cup Series 2024. Sep 21, Sep 28

Australia vs NZ. Bledisloe Cup Series 2024 Sep 21, Sep 28

• not watching this

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • call it off

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • cripple fight

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Soup Rugby shits and giggles 52-44 scenario

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • NZ 2-0

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • 1-1

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Aus 2-0

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Would somebody PLEASE hold me?

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Mummy! I said hold me!

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • "Mr Cyclo! Stop holding mummy! Mr Cyclo is the bad man, mummy!"

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Total voters

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Really not a White fan, and haven't been for years, would be nowhere near a Wallaby jersey for mine. How you could have him in that squad ahead of Lonergan I just don't get, but given the available options I strongly believe it should be Gordon with Tate off the bench. I agree with the idea of sticking to a 10, particularly given we have no-one else kicking the door down, but why not Donaldson? He appears to me to have a better chance of growing into something than Lolesio, with a bigger boot, bigger body and more pace.
I also think Slipper, who imo has been a top level prop, is past his use-by date, time for Kailea. I would also stick with Stewart, Paisami's hard, straight running game just doesn't work at test level, he's just not big enough.
Pleased to see McReight back, happy to see Williams hold his place, he's been good, and also keen to see how BPA goes.
Anyway, just the opinions of an old fart!

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I think Joe has taken the view that none of our 10s are good enough so the best approach is to build some stability and experience with what we have until the saviour arrives on the scene. He could be viewing Lynagh as 'that guy' but sensibly has taken the view that he is best off getting experience later in the game against tired legs. Donno is the 3rd choice by the looks of things, but ahead of Lynagh at this stage if either has to start. The explanation re Gordon & White makes sense.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
The hard done guy is McDermott, he gets game time with our mediocre bench as we get run over
He has had opportunity to press for a starting role but keeps coming on and immediately making errors (kicking out on the full, stepping on the line while clearing a ruck etc)

His pass gets a lot of criticism, and I think it's deserved. Have a look at just how many forwards are charging at the line and getting balls at the head or ankles.

The forward looks like they have dropped it cold but it's because the pass is in the wrong spot as they are about to smash in to a brick wall

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
I think Joe has taken the view that none of our 10s are good enough so the best approach is to build some stability and experience with what we have until the saviour arrives on the scene. He could be viewing Lynagh as 'that guy' but sensibly has taken the view that he is best off getting experience later in the game against tired legs. Donno is the 3rd choice by the looks of things, but ahead of Lynagh at this stage if either has to start. The explanation re Gordon & White makes sense.
Lynagh was on the field organising his troups against Argentina for 25 minutes and the Wallabies lost 43-7 … and they think he is the future? Sorry Joe.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Lynagh was on the field organising his troups against Argentina for 25 minutes and the Wallabies lost 43-7 … and they think he is the future? Sorry Joe.
Well, I guess, but players more senior than Lynagh (pretty much all of them, many with plenty of Tests under their belt) should be able to organise themselves pretty well, so I don't think it's all on him, particularly on defence.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)

Jonny Wilkinson lost 76-0 against Australia in 1998 in one of his early test matches. Goes on to become one of the best to ever do it and kicks his country to a RWC on our home turf a few years later.

Not saying Lyangh is anywhere near that good, but geez lets just woo up on writing off young playmakers who get beaten.

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
Jonny Wilkinson lost 76-0 against Australia in 1998 in one of his early test matches. Goes on to become one of the best to ever do it and kicks his country to a RWC on our home turf a few years later.

Not saying Lyangh is anywhere near that good, but geez lets just woo up on writing off young playmakers who get beaten.
Fair enough Phil. Just more I couldn’t understand why Gordon and Donaldson get dropped out of the 23 when they were actually pretty good for the first 30 and left when score was 24-20 that’s all.

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
Well, I guess, but players more senior than Lynagh (pretty much all of them, many with plenty of Tests under their belt) should be able to organise themselves pretty well, so I don't think it's all on him, particularly on defence.
Agree. …see my response to Phil Clinton. The 10’s tend to unfairly cop it. There were a lot of missed tackles by some big name players and most of them have been selected this week?

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Fair enough Phil. Just more I couldn’t understand why Gordon and Donaldson get dropped out of the 23 when they were actually pretty good for the first 30 and left when score was 24-20 that’s all.
It sounds like Gordon, and perhaps others like Donaldson, got ill on the journey home
“There were a few boys who were a little bit ill and a little bit run down and Nic hadn’t played, he was the freshest and we just felt that making an early decision in the week to go with Nic…

“There was a bit of a bug but nothing that affected the whole team, there were just individuals who got a little bit knocked around by it and everyone’s back on deck now,” Schmidt said.

“There was still a little bit of a lapse for a couple of guys at the start of this week who are not involved but they’re all back 100 per cent now, so some of them who aren’t involved this week may well be involved next week.”

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)

Phil.. let me just say that he’s our 3rd best 10 with the three we have… by some margin.

Steve_Grey

Jimmy Flynn (14)

If Lynagh puts some weight/muscle on and learns to tackle and also drop-kick like Wilkinson then we are in with a shout in the future. I seem to remember his father was groomed in the centres before he took over at #10 for Wallabies?

Linerunner2023

Watty Friend (18)
Mcreight is a big in
Let’s hope Bell and tupou get big minutes and limit slipper and AAA field time
Paisami inclusion doesn’t add anything other then no gain line momentum or backline shifts

ABs most vulnerable they have been for a while
Still working out their side
Surprised tuipulotu not included

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I think he's been better than "the same player he always has been" in that for the Wallabies this has been pretty bad in the past.

This year I think it's been solid to good which is more than we saw from Nic White. McDermott for quite good reasons is being viewed as a bench option at the moment.

From Wilson's post above it seems like Gordon was probably a bit bashed up when they got home so I can see that as a pretty solid reason to go with White for this week.
I disagree with your assessment of Gordon this year but lots of others clearly don’t - which was my point. A good number of posters appear to think he’s been better than his historic form. I don’t.

I’m happy to accept that probably means I’m wrong - but I do think group think sometimes guides perceptions of players form.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I'm sorry for all the Lynagh fans on these threads but I agree that he's done nothing and shown nothing to suggest he's the future. I think we have a bit of a wait yet before the future makes itself visible.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I disagree with your assessment of Gordon this year but lots of others clearly don’t - which was my point. A good number of posters appear to think he’s been better than his historic form. I don’t.

I’m happy to accept that probably means I’m wrong - but I do think group think sometimes guides perceptions of players form.
Somewhat lazy way to denigrate people with a different opinion, methinks. Just saying.