• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 1st Test (Brisbane)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tic

Herbert Moran (7)
IS,blaming Deans is a bit rich

Why is it rich? He picked a 10 who is not a 10 and the backline failed to ignite. Duh.

Our forwards were very good. Quade Cooper would have lit up our backline tonight (particularly if JO'C played wider - where he is most lethal), but Deans' punitive attitude has cost us a win and vital momentum.

It really is that simple.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The stats on JOC (James O'Connor) compared to sexton tonight will be interesting.

Compare to those stats to any Dan Carter game.
Wonder what we will see in those comparisons?

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah, that was my obvious point. Deans insisted on him being picked, and in his state of mind I thought that a risk.

Agree he played well (tackling issues aside). He gave the backline a lot more structure, or in Deans speak, more "shape".

Not Deans speak, a lot of NZers say "shape" when talking about a backline :)

If KB (Kurtley Beale) has been running at 10 in training, now is the time to make the Chris Latham/Joe Roff decision for Test 2

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I'd like to see Mowen starting at 8 with Kimlin or MMM at 6.

If the starting front row isn't something like Kepu/Moore/Slipper(Robinson) next week I will scream.

hazzaj

Alfred Walker (16)
This foxtel panel are a bunch of pussies. Pulling in Stu to do their dirty work and speak the truth about JOC (James O'Connor) at 10. Why weren't they saying this the last 3 weeks?

There has been a split via the pundits on the JOC (James O'Connor) decision Kafer likes it, but I dont know if its sincere or just an angle. There are also those that do not get involved as its not their role. Marto has been saying it since day 1 but everyone jumps on his back as QC (Quade Cooper)'s #1 Fan.

The hard truth is the Lions said QC (Quade Cooper) not playing is in their favor and Deans didnt choose him.

Reactions: tic

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
Yeah, that was my obvious point. Deans insisted on him being picked, and in his state of mind I thought that a risk.

Agree he played well (tackling issues aside). He gave the backline a lot more structure, or in Deans speak, more "shape".

Fair enough.

At least I'm sure we can all agree JOC (James O'Connor) is not a 10. I think everyone knew that already though, right?

Bad boy

Frank Nicholson (4)
do yourself a favour and watch the australia vs england game 2012
berrick is a fantastic choice at 15
-good under the high ball, great defense, good boot, good pass either side, ability to link with wingers, can provide guidance to falou
he is everything we want at 15
judging by your statement im guessing you only started watching the reds as recently as after barnes left and you obviously havnt watch the full tah games this year

Think I have been watching the Reds a lot longer than that....What do you say now about selecting players who haven't been playing week in week out, Barnes who offers nothing except the big chance of being injured, JOC (James O'Connor) who is clearly not a 10!!! I am not a Deans fan and believe he shows little innitiative. When he put Hooper to the centers the Lions were about to have a lineout which they had not lost all day...where were they going to attack? Why couldn't Deans have told Gill to not be in the lineout for that play and be an extra player in backs and clog up the backline. If you were to have Barnes in the side (which I wouldn't) he should have been goal kicker and we may have got the first two....game over we win!!!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why is it rich? He picked a 10 who is not a 10 and the backline failed to ignite. Duh.

Our forwards were very good. Quade Cooper would have lit up our backline tonight (particularly if JO'C played wider - where he is most lethal), but Deans' punitive attitude has cost us a win and vital momentum.

It really is that simple.

o_O

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I won't be totally negative; I really did enjoy the performance put in by the pack tonight. Mowen is a keeper. I watched him very closely, and he is the type of guy you want around at test level. He did not put a foot wrong.

Folau is something else too. He was tit for tat with North all night, and got caught out in defence by North a few times, but he is a specialty on attack. His defence on the wing will improve too.

tic

Herbert Moran (7)
No comparison can be made between the two. To'omua is actually a 10. The issue is that JOC (James O'Connor) doesn't play like a 10, at all.

And just a reminder - there is another fit Australian 10 who has over 30 tests experience.

Just sayin'.

But I take your point. Deans would rather pick To'omua (without experience). He would rather eat a bowl full of blackheads than pick Quade, and Australian rugby is the poorer because of it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Meh. Disappointing loss. We should have won that game by 7 or 8 points.

I don't think there was any great issue with JOC (James O'Connor) at 10. The backline with ball in hand looked fine. His errors were in his goalkicking which is slightly forgiveable if Lealiifano was the first choice kicker.

Missing 14 points versus their 3 is what cost us the game. A 7 or 8 point win from hitting most of our kicks and no one would be questioning JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 or any other selections.

The injury toll from this week is the biggest worry for the Wallabies. The most worrying is AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) because 13 is our hardest position to fill.

I expect that Barnes will be on the bench next week if he is fit enough to be in the team. Beale either needs to start at 10 or 15 (if Beale is at 10, JOC (James O'Connor) at 14 and Folau at 15 which has always been my most favoured selection option).

Our forward pack were excellent. No issues there at all. I expect we'll select the same pack next week if they're all available.

Folau's debut was all time. Two tries and several excellent plays including saving a try. If there was ever a doubt how valuable he could be to Australian rugby, it was extinguished tonight. The guy is incredible.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
how bad is AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s injury???? man thats a huge hole.

The guy played every minute of the world cup and I've only ever seen him come off for injuries keeping him out for a month or more. If he came off I'd say it's bad enough to say he's out.

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Garryowen
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) went off with what looked like an elbow injury so not sure we will be seeing him next week. Filling his spot is going to be a huge issue.

I'd be shocked if Robbie isn't dialing Quade sometime this week with these backs injuries.

As much as I'd like to see Quade, I don't think Deans will pick him.

KB (Kurtley Beale) is the next best choice for me.

If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is out, then Horne should probably be next in line.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd like to see Mowen starting at 8 with Kimlin or MMM at 6.

If the starting front row isn't something like Kepu/Moore/Slipper(Robinson) next week I will scream.

Huh???

Robinson had a huge game at LHP. I can't see any changes there.

When the stats come out, I think you'll see that Palu had a huge involvement in defence both in tackles and ruck involvement. I thought our backrow worked really well. They had a much bigger influence on the game than Croft, Warburton and Heaslip.

Status
Not open for further replies.