• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 1st Test (Brisbane)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Not sure about Davies at 12. How often does he play there?

We often agitate about guys who are natural 13s being put into 12, seems to me the Lions have done just that.
If you watch the way Wales play he and Roberts interchange frequently.

He is a ballplayer and big enough to crash it up. I think this is potentially a VERY potent combination.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
So no O'Brien or Zebo.

They will be going fookin mental in the spudfields.

Even the most fervent Welsh supporter could admit that SOB's form is on a different planet to Lydiate. All the 4 countries fans, from what I've seen, are questioning why he has been left out.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Re the starting front rows, they appear to have gone with scrum strength over mobility (typical NH approach). It makes sense but it might give us an edge. IF Robinson/Moore/Alexander can hold their own at scrum time, I give us a distinct advantage around the field and at the breakdown. If the Lions really are looking to play a high-octane style of game, a guy like Vunipola would offer a lot more than Corb imho.

We also have them on experience up front.
Lions Front row test caps = 115
Wallabies Front row combined = 180

Jones is not quick around the park but Corbs is pretty mobile (made a big difference when he came on against ponies - carried well. He was lauded when he burst onto the scene in England because they felt they had a very strong LH prop who could also make it around the park - something they haven't had much in the past.) HE is no less mobile than Robinson. Youngs is very quick (converted centre not so long ago)..

Minute advantage, if any.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
- Leigh Halfpenny has looked in fine touch off the tee and defensively in this tour. He has been prone to the odd kicking shocker, Saturday is not the time to have one. He also must be prepared to counter attack, he can't just boot the ball long as he tends to do for Wales. When he does counter attack the Lions need to get Sexton, BOD, Davies and North behind the ball as quickly as possible to maximize the options

As long as those kicking boots are working the Lions have this one, Ben Mowen, Ben Alexander and Michael Hooper are all penalty magnets.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Benn Robinson is much stronger at the breakdown than most LH props. I've seen him make some crucial turn overs at test level.

Id say Robinson is more mobile than his opposite Jones, same with Alexander who is imho superior in all facets of play to Corbs, expect his scrummaging (which to be fair is the most important facet). Moore trumps Youngs every which way.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Do we think Maitland's selection over Zebo is to appease Scottish fans?

Just think it's because he was in the original squad and Zebo has been in the squad just under 2 weeks. Don't think Maitland should have been in the squad since day one in the first place.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just think it's because he was in the original squad and Zebo has been in the squad just under 2 weeks. Don't think Maitland should have been in the squad since day one in the first place.

Why? His form in the 6Ns was very good and he has plenty of experience playing in OZ and against the Wallaby players.

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
I'd have had Zebo starting over Cuthbert let alone on the bench. And Lydiate over SOB on the bench is just bonkers, surely your bench backrow has to be able to cover more than one position ? Lydiate is a 6 and that's it.
Tipuric is unlucky too, bringing him on at 60 mins when the game opens up could've worked well.
Very conservative by Gats.:rolleyes:

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)

Not just conservative it throws Gatlands many statements that form would be rewarded with test recognition into question, this selection looks like Gatland had his test team settled a long time ago and only injuries to Healy, Roberts and Bowe have changed it.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Why? His form in the 6Ns was very good and he has plenty of experience playing in OZ and against the Wallaby players.

His form in the 6 nations was good, but Visser who I still can't work out isn't in the squad should have been there instead of Maitland. 2nd Test Bowe will be back and Maitland will be gone from the bench unless he plays the best rugby of his life in the few minutes he gets.

Zebo was unlucky that he got injured early in the 6 Nations otherwise he would have been on tour from day one. At least I will get to see him play on Tuesday night.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I really like the look of that Lions side. Plenty of Welshmen who we've beaten heaps of times lately, and only 1 Scot who we've not beaten so much of late...

Fired and up and ready for it. Bring on Saturday night! Go the Wallabies!

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'd have had Zebo starting over Cuthbert let alone on the bench. And Lydiate over SOB on the bench is just bonkers, surely your bench backrow has to be able to cover more than one position ? Lydiate is a 6 and that's it.
Tipuric is unlucky too, bringing him on at 60 mins when the game opens up could've worked well.
Toothpick is unlucky not to be starting but for the same reason you gave for Lydiate, he is no benchwarmer. For me, he either starts or he's out of the match day squad. Very surprised SOB and Zebo didn't make the squad.
I'm looking forward to seeing POC & AWJ play most of all - they are on another level.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
No Northern Hemisphere side has defeated the Wallabies at Suncorp Stadium since it was redeveloped 10 years ago.

Looking forward to us keeping that record in tact on the weekend.

Actually, lets take it back further - undefeated v Northern Opponents at the ground since 1966! Go the Wallabies!

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Can you please explain what you think is wrong with Barnes at 15?

I will freely admit that I am a big fan of Barnes and I think over the last few years, the Wallabies look better when he is in the side than out of it. I don't like him as a test match 10 but he's played well at 12 and 15.

He started 5 tests for the Wallabies at 15 last year and we won all but one of them (we lost against South Africa at Loftus). That included setting up the last gasp try against Wales at Millenium Stadium to win the match.

My ultimate solution comes from outside the squad but with the 23 we have Barnes to the bench for mine. Not a huge fan of his but he is good as a replacement rather than starting. I think he adapts better to the game rather than set the pace. Izzy to 15 for mine. I have no doubt he will handle the pressure though I prefer he be left at the position he has been playing his rugby at as that he where he generated the form that got him selected. Beale for mine comes onto the wing. Has played there before but experience will help him adapt better to being a bit out of position. He has the X factor that Barnes just don't have also. Beale and Izzy could also be very interchangable also.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Not sure about Davies at 12. How often does he play there?

We often agitate about guys who are natural 13s being put into 12, seems to me the Lions have done just that.

You mean like when myself and a few others suggested Horne for 12? ;)

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Not to me it isn't. It's just another series of test matches we want to win. If we were to beat the Lions 3-0 and lose every other test this year, would you consider that to be success?

You know what; I would trade this Lions series for the Bledisloe any day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

What also worries me is that the Wallabies are stale and are not achieving to their potential and a series win here will just be an excuse to maintain the status quo. I want Wallaby players doing well and especially James Horwill as captain as he is my favorite rugby player. I think we need a catalyst for change though.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Rather underwhelmed by the Lions 23 for the first test. Starting team is pretty good. But the bench isn't one I'd want to be looking to, to turn the game back in our favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.