• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Auckland Blues To Infinity and Beyond

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Props look good. tick.

Hookers look shithouse. Apisai was abysmal but the muppets signed him to a 2 year deal last year so they are stuck with him.

Locks look decent but depth a worry

Outside backs - I'm glad Trainor got picked. He had a terrific Mitre 10 Cup. Collins is an absolutely shithouse re-signing which cost the Blues Rayasi - awful. Collins is slow as a sloth, can't tackle and can't kick. Rubbish.

Think your Locks will be ok, mind you I really rate Josh Goodhue, as well as PT and Scafton.
Don't think Collins cost you Ryasi , he wanted to be a Cane, he from Wellington and always keen on playing for them. I personally reckon that a bloody good Blues squad, with Olmstead only one to miss out, and I think even that may of been because most of the loosies/locks were probably signed before he really came on strong late in the season. I suspect he will be in extras that are named for train on squads.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
DAD.

HAVE A WORD.

A STERN WORD.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...demand-as-he-finishes-standout-schools-career

Michael Jones boy joining the goddamn CRUSADERS?

That's like Luke Skywalker joining the, well, the CRUSADERS.

srsly though, I can understand the boy looking to cleave his own path away from the massive shadow cast by his dad's exploits but ffs. Plus there is the getting of a proper rugby education at a proper rugby franchise.

But get fucked.

BLUES.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
He's at St Peter's -- a Catholic boys school -- and dad wouldn't play on Sundays. I got this.

And lo, did the Lord speak to Niko, son of Niko. I command thee to stay in the Promised Land of the Ioane's, to ascend to the position of Blues Designated Messiah 2020-ish, and most definitely to not part State Highway 1 and flee to Sodom and Gonorrhoea.

God-monty-python-and-the-holy-grail-591560_800_441.jpg

For if thou shall spurn my words, Niko, son of Niko, I shall turn from the do-unto-others, Morgan Freeman voiced bore of the New Testament, into the fire, fury and brimstone Samuel L. Jackson voiced mother f*cker of the Old Testament and smite thee like a bitch.

giphy.webp

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
With Speedway due to vacate in 2020, Regional Facilities Auckland (RFA) has signed a Heads of Agreement with New Zealand Cricket to play cricket at Western Springs, stadium to be ready for Women's CWC.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/auckland/1083...ium-to-be-funded-by-millions-from-citys-parks

TLDR: if this goes through Eden Park is toast (it surely can't survive on say 8 x Bloos games, 2 x AB Tests & the odd game of league plus the six or so non-sports events they're allowed to APPLY FOR PERMISSION to hold each year) & Bloos potentially play all their home games at Albany and/ or Pukekohe while a new stadium is being built.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
With Speedway due to vacate in 2020, Regional Facilities Auckland (RFA) has signed a Heads of Agreement with New Zealand Cricket to play cricket at Western Springs, stadium to be ready for Women's CWC.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/auckland/1083...ium-to-be-funded-by-millions-from-citys-parks

TLDR: if this goes through Eden Park is toast (it surely can't survive on say 8 x Bloos games, 2 x AB Tests & the odd game of league plus the six or so non-sports events they're allowed to APPLY FOR PERMISSION to hold each year) & Bloos potentially play all their home games at Albany and/ or Pukekohe while a new stadium is being built.

Well, at least its one way to fix the Aussie hoodoo at Eden Park. Burn the place down.

KiwiM

Arch Winning (36)

Eden Park isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Firstly, NZ Cricket will still want to use Eden Park for high capacity games (e.g. certain T20s and certain ODIs) where the crowds will be much bigger than Western Springs can hold.

Secondly - where is the new stadium going to be built? Who is going to pay for it?

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
DAD.

HAVE A WORD.

A STERN WORD.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...demand-as-he-finishes-standout-schools-career

srsly though, I can understand the boy looking to cleave his own path away from the massive shadow cast by his dad's exploits but ffs. Plus there is the getting of a proper rugby education at a proper rugby franchise.

But get fucked.

BLUES.

Though I had read he wanted to do a course at Canterbury Uni. But I tend to be of the mind you should play family clubs etc, and the f***en Saders should return Scott Barrett to the Canes!!

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Eden Park isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Firstly, NZ Cricket will still want to use Eden Park for high capacity games (e.g. certain T20s and certain ODIs) where the crowds will be much bigger than Western Springs can hold.

Secondly - where is the new stadium going to be built? Who is going to pay for it?

Q1: Western Springs holds 30K, I think? Short of a CWC SF or Final I can't see NZC needing a bigger venue than that.

Q2: well that's the up to $1.8Bn question, isn't it :)

Also read a coupla weeks ago that Auckland Council has said no to the Trust's request for $1.5Mn to upgrade the turf that was last re-laid in the early 2000's with an expected life of ten years. If Auckland has a wet summer it could be another McLean Park situation.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
MacDonald is now the HC with Umaga an assistant. Coventry as is.

The Blues announced on Thursday that Leon MacDonald, initially appointed to come in as Umaga's assistant for the 2019 season, would assume the head coaching responsibilities on a three-year arrangement and that Umaga would drop into an assistant's role responsible for defence.

Umaga takes up a two-year contract in his new role.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...-assistant-coach-leon-macdonald-takes-top-job

I'd guess this is more about securing MacDonald than punishing Umaga.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)

KiwiM

Arch Winning (36)
It's a good move. I feel like the new board might have had some input into this. Nice.

I reckon Blues still have too many average players for real success in 2019. They have real problems at hooker and halfback. However I think they will improve due to the overall coaching team being much stronger and I'm excited to see what the new season brings.

KiwiM

Arch Winning (36)
DAD.

HAVE A WORD.

A STERN WORD.

But get fucked.

BLUES.

Well this is a good start.

Schoolboy rugby sensation Niko Jones has fended off a tempting offer from Crusaders country and decided to stay in Auckland for his provincial rugby.

The son of All Blacks legend Sir Michael Jones, and one of New Zealand rugby's hottest young prospects, revealed on Friday that he has signed a two-year deal with his home-town Auckland provincial union.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/10...boy-rugby-star-Niko-Jones-signs-with-Auckland