• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Assistant referees

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The last thing a ref wants, or needs, is a yappy TJ/AR. What they like is clear indications of infringements and assistance in areas they can't police, ingoal on the sides, late tackles on kickers, offside on the side the ref isn't, etc. I make a point of loudly marking 5 and 10m lines at scrums and lineouts, and call out when they're infringed. Most refs appreciate it, one thing they don't have to worry about. In fact, a strong case could be mounted for TJ/ARs to adjudicate on ALL offsides at the breakdown, al la soccer, as it's quite easy to get positioned on the offside line. I find players keep their distances carefully when they know another set of eyes are watching them encroach on the 5/10m/offside lines.

My advice to AR's (at finals time when we're lucky enough to have them and be mic'd up) is that less is best when it comes to chat. I ask them to manage offside and foul play (get a colour and a number if they have something to report), they are responsible for touch and leave the rest of it up to me. Basically that leaves me with the breakdown, scrums, lineouts etc to worrt about.

I find that too much chat can be distracting, although i do ask them to let me know if there is anything they think i need to work on during stoppages.

Every ref has a different style though and some like to know about all sorts of stuff.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
I think it all depends on whether or not you are used to using comms gear. I am lucky enough to use it most weekends and I am happy if the ARs want to tell me things all the time. Only thing I tell them about is not to bother me at scrum time, unless it's a hand on the ground on the far side, and leave the breakdown/tackle area to me. Everything else they can talk to me about if they want to.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The last thing a ref wants, or needs, is a yappy TJ/AR. What they like is clear indications of infringements and assistance in areas they can't police, ingoal on the sides, late tackles on kickers, offside on the side the ref isn't, etc. I make a point of loudly marking 5 and 10m lines at scrums and lineouts, and call out when they're infringed. Most refs appreciate it, one thing they don't have to worry about. In fact, a strong case could be mounted for TJ/ARs to adjudicate on ALL offsides at the breakdown, al la soccer, as it's quite easy to get positioned on the offside line. I find players keep their distances carefully when they know another set of eyes are watching them encroach on the 5/10m/offside lines.

I'm not quallified but when running the line for one of the lower grades (NTRU doesn't supply touchies) I just make a point of having a 30 second chat with the ref asking what he wants out of me. I do it as I don't want to step on his toes but I also want to assist him where possible. I find refs have different ideas what they want from their touchie.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
surely if you are not qualified all you are allowed to do is is signal when the ball is out & judge whether kicks go over the cross bar?

C

Cave Dweller

I'm not quallified but when running the line for one of the lower grades (NTRU doesn't supply touchies) I just make a point of having a 30 second chat with the ref asking what he wants out of me. I do it as I don't want to step on his toes but I also want to assist him where possible. I find refs have different ideas what they want from their touchie.
What you miss and the AR picks up he reports to you simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.