• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Brisbane Gold Coaches to their credit are sticking to the Rotation Policy. Everyone is getting decent game time unlike some other teams where some boys have played every minute.

I thought they may have picked the best side for the final important game however they have continued to be fair.

Credit to them.
Seems every team is different in that respect, there are some basic rules for this comp regarding player rotation, but some are getting alot less for their time and dollar, maybe 28 is too many and the standard 23 would have serviced with shadow players to come in for long term injury.
Seeing boys show up to just run water or the kicking tee is not what this is about, but it's happening and sad to see.
White and Blue seem to be two teams consistently playing the majority of the same team, I guess winning is there major plan as I don't hear of them being riddle with injury problems.

Peter Harrison

Frank Row (1)
White's reserve 10, centre and wing are quite good, and could have a good shot at making QLD, but aren't getting a go, so it makes it difficult for the selectors to see their ability

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
White's reserve 10, centre and wing are quite good, and could have a good shot at making QLD, but aren't getting a go, so it makes it difficult for the selectors to see their ability
There are many kids in that boat, and if there not playing they won't make it as selectors regularly talk to the coaches on their recommendations on who to watch, so that tell you all a little of what your coach thinks.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Just seen on rugby link that there is no real change to Brissy White for the 4 game straight, Point, why pick 28 kids if you won't use them?
Interesting to see what Blue and Gold list, but Gold as informed seem to be giving everyone a fair go.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)

Rep selection is a bitch at this level and I can only say that ultimately it doesn't matter if a boy doesn't make it. If you look at professional selection there is a focus on season performance on how one plays for their team week-in / week-out. Whereas short carnival-style selection process is very difficult for selectors and many rising players will miss out. It's more of a 'who's hot to trot' right now and can sometimes sadly reward individualism. Hence the sorry state of players playing for themselves at the moment.

Long term development supersedes short term honour gains.

Rugby follower

Billy Sheehan (19)
Clearly 28 players is too many for a metropolitian based team, it is fine for a travelling team such as WA or NQ who play multiple games in a short time however at U15 level especially where injuries are not as prevelant as say an U17 or older level it is a right over kill. Brisbane has 5 U 15 teams with Ipswich and Logan which is probably 1 to 2 too many with squads of 28. I may be a cynic however to me it is a clear money grab by the ARU to have such big squads at $960 per player. The depth of players over 5 teams of 28 players is simply not there, it must be very difficult for the coaches to run a competitive squad as well as providing fair game time to all players. Brisbane Gold in 15's seem to be doing it the best at the moment in their local area however maybe that is due to their squad having greater depth. At the end of the day who will remember the team that won this competiton in 2 years times however I would remember if I sat on the bench every game or worse ran the water!!!!. I would hate to be a coach/manager in this situation.

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
Seems every team is different in that respect, there are some basic rules for this comp regarding player rotation, but some are getting alot less for their time and dollar, maybe 28 is too many and the standard 23 would have serviced with shadow players to come in for long term injury.
Seeing boys show up to just run water or the kicking tee is not what this is about, but it's happening and sad to see.
White and Blue seem to be two teams consistently playing the majority of the same team, I guess winning is there major plan as I don't hear of them being riddle with injury problems.

I think you are 100% right re players numbers. 28 too many. This is suppose to be elite reps for these juniors not local rugby where you give everyone a run.

The coach cannot win, if they give everyone a run, and in doing so, do not have the strongest team on the park and the team gets beat, well the parents of the strongest players are whinging as to why the strongest team not on the park, along with the players, and subjected to the taunts ... the coach don't know what he doing !

However, if the coach keeps the strongest players on the field and does not give the replacements fair game time then the coach is crucified by the replacements parents for not giving their kids time on the paddock.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)

Must be something in the 10's game very rarely gets a look in his school's top team either!

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
Must be something in the 10's game very rarely gets a look in his school's top team either!

Peter Harrison replied to the thread ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships.
I hear there's a bit of competition for the 10 job in White, a nudgee boy who has a pretty strong pass, good vision and good in the ruck.
Today at 4:50 PM

Peter Harrison replied to the thread ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships.
In White, there still are a few boys who are yet to play a game
Today at 5:08 PM

White's reserve 10, centre and wing are quite good, and could have a good shot at making QLD, but aren't getting a go, so it makes it.
Today at 5:20 PM

What I can glean from the above posts from Peter Harrison is that the whites reserve 10 is on the bench but is better than the starting 10 and that the reserve 10, in his opinion, is good enough to make QLD team. However, BraveandGame states the reserve 10 cannot even make the starting XV for the school...... I would say Peter Harrison is connected to the reserve 10 ? maybe or maybe not, but could someone please give the reserve 10 some game time !! Not sure Pete if anyone connected to your team reads the posts, but hopefully they give him a go next week.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
I think you are 100% right re players numbers. 28 too many. This is suppose to be elite reps for these juniors not local rugby where you give everyone a run.

The coach cannot win, if they give everyone a run, and in doing so, do not have the strongest team on the park and the team gets beat, well the parents of the strongest players are whinging as to why the strongest team not on the park, along with the players, and subjected to the taunts . the coach don't know what he doing !

However, if the coach keeps the strongest players on the field and does not give the replacements fair game time then the coach is crucified by the replacements parents for not giving their kids time on the paddock.
It is definitely a catch 22 for the coaches, but most seem to be going for wins, not development, hence the 28 should not have been picked 23 is fine.
And as you said there is 1/2 teams too many in the Qld metro area and as Rugby follower said, it just comes across as a ARU money grab.
$960 to run the water or the kicking tee is slightly excessive, no?

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
BraveandGame states the reserve 10 cannot even make the starting XV for the school.[/FONT]

For the record I am fan of said 10 and have long wondered why he has been unable to secure a more regular spot in the 'A' squad. Not that I have noticed but might he lack pace??

Paige Turner

Frank Row (1)
Wrong. Only one who hasn't played had his fractured hand taken out of a cast Friday. And he was the one who was named to start in the first game and got hurt in warm up.

Not that it really matters as the Coach decides who is on the field, but there appear to be some boys in the Brisbane White team that have only had a short amount of game time. I think there is one of the forwards that has only played for about 10 minutes. How can it be ethical that parents pay $960 for some gear, 10 minutes on the field and the honour of carrying out water and the kicking tee. I wonder if he got to fly to Rockhampton or just subsidised other more fortunate players? I'm sure their boy will really enjoy wearing his JGC gear.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Not that it really matters as the Coach decides who is on the field, but there appear to be some boys in the Brisbane White team that have only had a short amount of game time. I think there is one of the forwards that has only played for about 10 minutes. How can it be ethical that parents pay $960 for some gear, 10 minutes on the field and the honour of carrying out water and the kicking tee. I wonder if he got to fly to Rockhampton or just subsidised other more fortunate players? I'm sure their boy will really enjoy wearing his JGC gear.
Maye the ARU should set even more stringent rules in regards to individual game time, or refund a some of the money paid to those who play under a set amount of total game time?
I'm starting to believe that they (ARU) don't follow up on anything, they leave it to each state and each state just leaves it to the coach of each team and well if you have a coach is wanting to build his rep up, then he certainly won't care how much game time some boys don't get, will he.
White starting side is always the basic same core of boys, some boys have started every game and I'd say that won't change especially now they are at the business end of the tournament.
Sad to see and hear boys are getting little time, I feel for them as some must be feeling that their not even really part of a team, due to these and other reasons they should only pick 23 per team and spare the $$$, the heartache and frustration both the kids and their family are having.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Wrong. Only one who hasn't played had his fractured hand taken out of a cast Friday. And he was the one who was named to start in the first game and got hurt in warm up.
That's unlucky, was asked on Friday night why he's not playing by some of the locals, now we know. Saw him with the forwards before the game and he was tackling and getting in there, must be close to returning?

Status
Not open for further replies.