• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Argentina

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Came to my attention in another thread and I've decided it would be interesting to see everyone's thoughts on them. If all goes to plan the Puma's will play either France or New Zealand in the Quarters, will either of these teams be worried coming up against a fiery Argentina?

I don't consider them a challenger for the trophy, but certainly a team capable of a few upsets, the Pom's in the group stage would seem a likely target. The majority of their forward pack play in France or England, and are familiar with the NH style of play while their backline offers flair and speed, only matched by SH teams.

Arguably, one of the best forward packs in the competition, Argentina features the likes of:
#1 Martin Scelzo - Recognized as one of the best tighthead props in the world.
#2 Mario Ledesma
#3 Rodrigo Roncero - Best Loosehead prop in 2007 RWC, one of five nominations for the IRB Dream XV for the position of loosehead prop.
#4 Patricio Albacete - World Class lock, known for high work-rate.
#6 Juan Fenandez Lobbe
#8 Juan Leguizamon - Among best no.8's in the world.
#9 Nicolas Vergallo
#10 Juan Martín Hernández
#11 Horacio Agulla
#12 Felipe Contempomi - Should all know this guy
#13 Gonzalo Tiesi
#14 Gonzalo Camacho
#15 Ignacio Corleto - Same as Contempomi

R

Redsfan

I can't see them going any further than the quarters, in spite of their ridiculously good record against the French. Their recent results haven't been as notable as the results they achieved leading up to the RWC 2007.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sorry, one of the pet hates of mine - people who get THP and LHP confused.

LHP is 1. THP is 3. Just think of the numbering starting from where the scrum half feeds the ball.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I think not playing any warm-up Tests will be extremely detrimental to 'Los Pumas' RWC Semi-Final aspirations. They aren't performing like they were in '07, so I think they might bow at at the Quarter-Finals stage.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Sorry, one of the pet hates of mine - people who get THP and LHP confused.

LHP is 1. THP is 3. Just think of the numbering starting from where the scrum half feeds the ball.

Sorry, you'll have to explain to us backs where that scrum half feeds the ball from then..... :)

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
I think Corleto has retired Light

Either Horacio Agulla (leicester tigers) or Lucas Amorosino (ex tiger) will be at 15

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Problem with the Argies is that them not being in any serious yearly comp means the only time you get to see their A team in action is the RWC.

By stereotype a strong pack and a good kicker makes them a good finals footy candidate, although a lot of that team is getting a bit long in the tooth no?

Sidebar: is it 100% they'll be the 4th nation next year?

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Other than world cups I've never really seen anything of the Argies so I have no idea what chances they have other than they usually knock off France.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Problem with the Argies is that them not being in any serious yearly comp means the only time you get to see their A team in action is the RWC.

By stereotype a strong pack and a good kicker makes them a good finals footy candidate, although a lot of that team is getting a bit long in the tooth no?

Sidebar: is it 100% they'll be the 4th nation next year?

Pretty sure theyre all good to go and I look forward to it a hell of a lot. Good for the game and all that.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Juan Martin Hernandez is unlikely to play, he has had bad injury problems.

Yes very true. Argentina seems to have alot of depth at 10, there was at least 3 different fly-half's they took on tour last year. And if that doesn't work, Contepomi is very experienced at 10.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Argentina peaked and has been in decline for a few years now with that team. It's just too old. The change in interpretations has also impacted their very simple and effective pressure game of kick and chase.

Status
Not open for further replies.