• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

3rd Place Play Off - Wallabies v Wales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
I think that central contracs are inevitable and have already been factored in. the benefits of players being together like the australians are obvious to all but the diehard regionalists. the challenge is to make sure that the contracts go to the best players and there is still a route for renewal.
No, Central contracts wont work in the pehrochial environment that is Welsh club rugby. Villageism rules i'm afraid,

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Cardiffblue - join date Oct 2011 with 493 posts at an average of 25 per day !!

Wow... there must not be much to do in wales....

Seriously mate, loving your work, keep it up ;)

EDIT: Whoops, he lives in Sydney... carry on then...

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wow... there must not be much to do in wales....

Seriously mate, loving your work, keep it up ;)

EDIT: Whoops, he lives in Sydney... carry on then...

Soon to slip into back into the sleepiness of rhe Australian off season -until run up to Dec 3. I have one last rugby mission for november and I need to advertise it somewhere- but don't know where on this site to put the ad.??

The latest chapter in Australia's longest running inter-collegiate rugby comp between Hawkesbury Agricultural College (my team) and Royal Military College Duntroon is about to take place at RMC in Canberra on 29th of Oct. It's a significant year for both since 2011 is the centenary of RMC and 120 yrs of HAC. There's a presentation to RMC being made by ACTRU at half time.

If you are a HAC alumnus or know one and are interested in attending you'd be most welcome. the stands will be packed and great atmosphere. A whole day of fieldsports organised culminating in the football game at about 4pm. Just drop me a line via this site if you like. Blood and mustard attire is optional but preferred!

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
I suggest starting a new thread or put it in "everything else".

As a HAC old boy (for study not rugby) I wish I could be there but live a bit too far away. Go the Blood & Mustard !!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So who else has just realised (excluding the Barbarians match) we are playing Wales 5 times in a row?

J

Jumpers

The play-off between The Wannabes and Wales for 3rd/4th place is important because it will determine the actual team seedings for the next World Cup in England 2015. The higher the team finishes the better the draw for the Quarter finals Its only the top eight teams are seeded and then the process of which seeded teams go into which pool can be worked out from there. Example: 1/8-seeds in Pool A, 2/7 3/6, 4/5, etc!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The play-off between The Wannabes and Wales for 3rd/4th place is important because it will determine the actual team seedings for the next World Cup in England 2015. The higher the team finishes the better the draw for the Quarter finals Its only the top eight teams are seeded and then the process of which seeded teams go into which pool can be worked out from there. Example: 1/8-seeds in Pool A, 2/7 3/6, 4/5, etc!

That would be an excellent analysis if you could be sure we wouldn't bugger it up in the pool by losing matches we were slated to win.
I think worrying about the draw is another thing the Wallabbies need to put behind them.
The only thing they need to know about all future RWC draws is that the road to Bill goes through the Abs.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I suggest starting a new thread or put it in "everything else".

As a HAC old boy (for study not rugby) I wish I could be there but live a bit too far away. Go the Blood & Mustard !!

Cheers. I'll do that. If you are in contact with any HACies let them know. It's always a great match- atmosphere is brilliant, tho unfortunately lack of fitness usually means we lose.

Wazzee Wazzee Yah!

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Soon to slip into back into the sleepiness of rhe Australian off season -until run up to Dec 3. I have one last rugby mission for november and I need to advertise it somewhere- but don't know where on this site to put the ad.??

The latest chapter in Australia's longest running inter-collegiate rugby comp between Hawkesbury Agricultural College (my team) and Royal Military College Duntroon is about to take place at RMC in Canberra on 29th of Oct. It's a significant year for both since 2011 is the centenary of RMC and 120 yrs of HAC. There's a presentation to RMC being made by ACTRU at half time.

If you are a HAC alumnus or know one and are interested in attending you'd be most welcome. the stands will be packed and great atmosphere. A whole day of fieldsports organised culminating in the football game at about 4pm. Just drop me a line via this site if you like. Blood and mustard attire is optional but preferred!
Methinks Andrews/Pauls intercollegiate rugby has been around a tad longer than this competition.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Is 4 wins on the trot against the Boks our best ever streak against them? 6 wins from the past 7 Tests must certainly be up there with our best runs of all time .

But anyway... back to tomorrow's match. I just hope they relax a bit and play some good rugby. A bit of attacking flair should be encouraged tomorrow night. Certainly the limited attack we've been running so far won't threaten the Welsh defense but we should more creative with Barnes out there. Higgers will add a bit to the attack too.

Hopefully this story is on the money.

Wallabies and Wales to serve up RWC treat Darren Walton
October 20, 2011 - 5:09PM
.AAP

Australia and Wales have vowed to release the shackles and serve up an appetising entree on Friday night ahead of a four-Test feast between arguably world rugby's two most promising teams.

The two youngest sides in the Rugby World Cup enter the third-place playoff at Auckland's Eden Park shattered not to be playing for the game's greatest prize two nights later, but with plenty to prove.

The Wallabies are desperate to "right some wrongs" and showcase their attacking style after disappointing fans in kick-happy knockout displays against the Springboks and All Blacks.

Wales, too, are burning to entertain - and win - after proving the tournament surprise packets with a series of vibrant performances before suffering semi-final heartache at the hands of France.

Warren Gatland's exciting Welsh outfit lost two matches by a point - to South Africa in the pool stages, after five-eighth James Hook had a penalty shot controversially waved away, and to the French after captain Sam Warburton was sent off in the 19th minute.

Gatland has declared his team determined to finish the tournament as No.3, giving their excited fans plenty to look forward to when they meet the Wallabies again at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium next month.

And the Australian Rugby Union will be licking their lips at the prospect of hosting the Welsh in a three-Test home series next June.

"They're a very good side. They've shown an awful lot in this tournament," Wallabies coach Robbie Deans said.

"They've been unlucky obviously in terms of the way they departed the quest for the ultimate goal.

"They're a side that has played with ambition and clearly are an emerging group."

Teenager George North has been a revelation on the wing for Wales and promised Red Dragon fans his side wouldn't die wondering in their bid for a consolation bronze medal.

"With the talent we have in the squad and in the team, it will be a great game to watch," North said.

"We look on ourselves these days and we are playing with what I guess people would call no fear.

"Everyone is excited to get a chance to play against a southern hemisphere side down in New Zealand. It is a great opportunity.

"There are very similar attributes in both the teams. We enjoy to play, throw the ball around and have a crack.

"Hopefully, it won't just be a boring 3-all game. Hopefully, it will be a good game to finish with. Have a crack and enjoy it."

Wallabies captain James Horwill believes the return from a hamstring injury of classy fullback Kurtley Beale will give his side a vital attacking edge.

"He's held in high regard by all the players and also he gives that second playmaker for Quade (Cooper) because he's played a lot of 10 in his time," Horwill said.

"He can step into that first-receiver role and help out there. He gives some good voice and obviously he's got that x-factor that you can't coach.

"He can create something from nothing."

Australia: Kurtley Beale, James O'Connor, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Berrick Barnes, Digby Ioane, Quade Cooper, Will Genia, Ben McCalman, David Pocock, Scott Higginbotham, Nathan Sharpe, James Horwill (capt), Salesi Ma'afu, Tatafu Polota Nau, James Slipper. Res: Saia Fainga'a, Ben Alexander, Rob Simmons, Radike Samo, Luke Burgess, Anthony Fainga'a, Rob Horne

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny, George North, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, Shane Williams, James Hook, Mike Phillips, Ryan Jones, Toby Faletau, Dan Lydiate, Luke Charteris, Bradley Davies, Paul James, Huw Bennett, Gethin Jenkins (capt). Res: Lloyd Burns, Ryan Bevington, Alun Wyn Jones, Andy Powell, Lloyd Williams, Stephen Jones, Scott Williams

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
As a rugby player from age of 14 to 30, I would like to pass on my sincere congratulations to Nathan Sharpe, on behalf of Moi, Mrs Doug, Miss Doug (in BC, Canada), and young Mr Doug [a former Bond Uni Pirates goal-kicking fullback] for his 100th test match! Nathan has been an inspiration to us as a rugby-loving family. Sadly when I attended a Western Force training session a few years ago, at the invitation of a mate, and fellow-Gold Coaster, Tai McIsaac, Nathan was on test duties, so I didn't get a chance to meet him. I did see his "look alike"...John Mitchell!!! Australian rugby will be ther poorer when Sharpie finally hangs up his jock-strap! have a good one "Sharpie"... we applaud you.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Does anyone think it more than a little strange that at the end of the season Deans decides rocky needs a rest?
I think rocky's bests days are behind him and maybe Deans is giving him a dignified excuse but its more than a month to the next game so "resting" doesn't seem right.
Is it a changing of the guard?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I am now satisfied that my anti-pedant shields are in place tested and energised.

Reeeeally?

Has has? Des Hassler?

Well spotted. Even the Death Star had gaps in shields.

While the Anti-Pedant Shields were energised, the Counter-SpellingAndGrammarPolice shields were down for maintenance on the day back in 2010 when the initial post was made. Would it be wrong to correct a spelling/grammar mistake in a quoted reply without going back in time to fix the spelling/grammar mistake in the original post before one quotes it in reply.

<Whoop Whoop> The Sci Fi geek alert has just gone off. Take cover . :)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Does anyone think it more than a little strange that at the end of the season Deans decides rocky needs a rest?
I think rocky's bests days are behind him and maybe Deans is giving him a dignified excuse but its more than a month to the next game so "resting" doesn't seem right.
Is it a changing of the guard?

I don't think so at all. I think Higgers is being given a chance but there is no way that Deans thinks that Rocky is a spent force.

Higginbotham hasn't had a good RWC in the chances he's had. Rocky hasn't been great apart from producing an excellent workload against the Springboks. He's only 28. I'd be surprised if he doesn't have an excellent year or two left in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.