• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2024 Under 20 Rugby Champs all match discussion thread

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
To be fair to the Irish, it's what the laws of the game instruct them to do.

The tournament is compromised enough as it is with 3 pools. Stuff like this just adds to the farce

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240710-075819.png
    Screenshot_20240710-075819.png
    169.1 KB · Views: 65

Homer

Fred Wood (13)
I believe we were no chance anyway as the French for/against was far superior to ours. We would've had to beat Ireland by 35 I think.
The NZ Spain game was called at half time as well. On the upside the Saffers didn't progress and we get a game against Wales.

moa999

Ted Thorn (20)
Ireland had better points difference, so think we would have needed to win by more than 7 and deny them the bonus point (and score four tries if they did)

But yes finishing top of group means the PD v France wouldn't have mattered.

Edit.. Head to head per below first tie breaker, so a win would almost have guaranteed progression.
But we would have needed to say avoid a 21-20 win (3 tries to 4) which would have left Ireland on 10 points and us on 9.

Last edited:

Cockatoo Run

Herbert Moran (7)

Peter Horne from Rugby Australia has formally appealed the decision to abandon the game due to process not being followed in the decision to cancel the game, and is requesting the game be held today.

I'm sure World Rugby's formal letter of response will arrive in the mail the day after the final.

Steve_Grey

Fred Wood (13)
2 more than we could have expected tbh
If we had beaten Italy (I think) this would be moot - as it is, I think we are lucky that Georgia beat Italy or we would be playing to avoid relegation to the Trophy.

As mentioned by someone earlier - you have to win your games against weaker sides, or risk the consequences; Ireland beat Italy and Georgia beat Italy - now Italy and Georgia are playing for their lifeline in this competition.

Last edited:

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
back in 15/16 Glasgow had to rearrange or relocate 4 Pro 12 fixtures due to issues with Drainage at Scotstoun (prior to the installation of the new artificial turf).

Obviously the way the league is set up allows for that given the number of "off weeks" etc. Not quite the case in a short form tournament.

Rudderless

Bill McLean (32)
Surely at this WC pinnacle, the Aust v Ireland game that was to be played Tues night (10pm AEST) could have been postponed 24/48 hours seeing as thou the next round of games (Semi Finals) don't kick off until Sun night/Mon morning.

Semi Finals (AEST)

This Sunday 14th

- Italy v Spain 10pm (9th Place)

- Argentina v South Africa 10pm (5th Place)

Monday 15th

- Georgia v Fiji 12.30am (9th Place)

- England v Ireland 12.30am (Semi-final 1)

- Australia v Wales 3am (5th Place)

- New Zealand v France 3am (Semi-final 2)

Last edited: