• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2018 Trial Match: Too Many Waratahs vs The Rebel Alliance @ Brookvale Oval

Status
Not open for further replies.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Guys, it's a trial, as many of us have been saying in several threads for weeks. Interesting exercise for the coaches, chance for fringe players to work towards the 23, but rarely very indicative of season outcomes.
And kudos to KevinO for bringing the spirit of Shiggins over from the Force. ;)

yes, we know its a trial, but when you play your main team and get thrashed it feels bad - and I wasn't one of the many who said it meant nothing, I was the dickhead who said Tahs would suffer pain, pain, pain and now it's me who is feeling the pain. Deep breath. I'm ok guys.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Rebels intent for this game was rather strange, it seemed to be box kick practice from the 9 for the whole game.

For the rest, it was one out running from a static position, they will have to do much much better because the Tahs weren't very good either

Set piece struggled at scrum and lineout; heading off the SA that is quite an issue.

Positives were Mason, Rona and Lalakai Foket; and some of the forward efforts in cleanouts - they were moving units off the ball and out of the wayi

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Ignoring the score line, tahs got to try's against the run of play, and rebels had 2 players in the bin.
I thought both teams played trial rugby, that wasnt clynical - 7 / 5 at oranges right, and then alot of changes.
I did like some ofthe Tahs play t times - played with some good width after earning the right.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Guys, it's a trial, as many of us have been saying in several threads for weeks. Interesting exercise for the coaches, chance for fringe players to work towards the 23, but rarely very indicative of season outcomes.
And kudos to KevinO for bringing the spirit of Shiggins over from the Force. ;)

Exactly. The result probably, from a Rebels' pov, shows that some of the first 15 players should have had more game time in the earlier trials. Bit late now to still be introducing players and trying to establish combinations.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon Lalakai Foketi is going to turn out to be a really good recruit this season. Can definitely see him beating out Rona for the 13 jersey to start the season. It's going to be close either way.

Competition for back spots outside of our Foley, Beale and Folau is going to be really tough. There are a bunch of players who are really close.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Simone looks to be good back up at last for Beale. He appears to be quite a good ball player

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
SMH: "NSW Waratahs show they are the real deal by smashing Melbourne Rebels in Super Rugby trial." It begins.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Man, they're ignoring the key to being a satisfied Australian rugby supporter. Keep the expectations very low and you'll never be disappointed

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I reckon Lalakai Foketi is going to turn out to be a really good recruit this season. Can definitely see him beating out Rona for the 13 jersey to start the season. It's going to be close either way.

Competition for back spots outside of our Foley, Beale and Folau is going to be really tough. There are a bunch of players who are really close.

Hopefully both will be in the run on side. Maybe a strong running Lalakai Foketi on the wing? Just a thought. I think Kellaway was very poor. Dropped too much ball, missed tackles was caught out and did very little.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hopefully both will be in the run on side. Maybe a strong running Lalakai Foketi on the wing? Just a thought. I think Kellaway was very poor. Dropped too much ball, missed tackles was caught out and did very little.

I think there is a pretty strong chance it could be Foketi at 13 and Rona at 14. Would be a good selection in my view.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I think the forward pack needs some enforcers.

The line out was off but hopefully it should improve. I think the scrum was ok a few bad ones but I think that was more paddy Ryan. It looked better then last year.

The team did look fitter which is great. Some good and bad things but good to blow the cob webs out. Hopefully the injuries aren't too bad.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think the forward pack needs some enforcers.

The line out was off but hopefully it should improve. I think the scrum was ok a few bad ones but I think that was more paddy Ryan. It looked better then last year.

The team did look fitter which is great. Some good and bad things but good to blow the cob webs out. Hopefully the injuries aren't too bad.

Enforcers? We don't have any except maybe Meafua. Some say Staniforth is an enforcer but I haven't seen it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.