• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Personally like to see more schools enter an eight and not jostle for trophies in other events. Should also add the its a shame View aren't there.

Seems a crazy schedule for Scotch. Fatigue could well and truly set in. Good luck to them though and to be fair were unlucky not to win last years race being the favourites and having a mechanical failure. So maybe luck is with them.

MR

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Personally like to see more schools enter an eight and not jostle for trophies in other events. Should also add the its a shame View aren't there.

Seems a crazy schedule for Scotch. Fatigue could well and truly set in. Good luck to them though and to be fair were unlucky not to win last years race being the favourites and having a mechanical failure. So maybe luck is with them.

MR
Some crews prefer to win a medal in fours over getting flogged by shore

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yes - much better to get flogged in the fours by a minor school than eights by a major school! :)
If they put their eights down into the fours they are a decent chance at a win or at least a placing.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

ShoreOB

Bob McCowan (2)
Rowing season ends after HOTR and Nationals is an optional event in some schools programs. Boys want to start preparing for their winter sport or put study first meaning schools are unable to fill the 8s. Some schools have year 12 exams starting on Monday!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Thanks All, a fair result and a fantastic year for Shore. Was it a comfortable row, conditions in Sydney suggest a windy course.

Look forward to next years racing.

MR

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Quite the Cinderella story for the View U17 VIII.

And at least the Schoolboy VIII was not just Scotch and Shore. Not as dramatic as last year, but exciting racing. Respect for Joeys getting that place after coming through repechage.

St.Augustine's were tried and found wanting.

The Kinross capacity to bring eights to Nationals but rarely to any other regatta just grinds my gears all over again.

I would say there is a huge depth of talent in ages 15-19 in both boys and girls. Let's hope RA finds a way to keep develop that talent over the next four years.

rowbuddy

Frank Nicholson (4)

And at least the Schoolboy VIII was not just Scotch and Shore. Not as dramatic as last year, but exciting racing. Respect for Joeys getting that place after coming through repechage.

The Kinross capacity to bring eights to Nationals but rarely to any other regatta just grinds my gears all over again.

I would say there is a huge depth of talent in ages 15-19 in both boys and girls. Let's hope RA finds a way to keep develop that talent over the next four years.
Kinross' Director of Rowing is said to move to Newington in same capacity. Will be interesting to see what his impact is in that environment.

IV The Win

Peter Burge (5)
Unlike last season, I have no trouble predicting that Scots will win HOTR in the 1st VIII in 2016. Let the record show that I am putting it out there in June 2015.
The runners up will be tightly contested between Shore and probably Joeys.

KT has a master plan and a formidable budget. I suspect he is in line for a pretty hefty $$$ bonus if they win.

After Joeys' form last season one would think they would be contenders but someone mentioned on this forum that most of this year's winning crew were Year 12s so they cannot be viewed as favourites - especially given their disastrous 2nd VIII form this season compared with Scots.

Shore will be over chewing their humble pie and will be hungry in a big way. They will be the chief threat.

None of the other schools will rate unless they are busy importing scholarship boys now.

There - that's my crystal ball. Bring on the opposing views.
Rest in pieces

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Congrats on the sharp rejoinder - and the ten days it took you to come up with it.

It's true that my prediction regarding Scots was way off, but my gut instinct that Joeys didn't have the goods this year was bang on. I underestimated how strongly Shore would react to the 2015 result.

i did enjoy seeing KT's runaway train end in a crash and burn.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)

Have to say Scotch looked absolutely miserable on the podium. It was a pretty churlish display. I guess the matter is settled there. Shame MG weren't there indeed. I don't think it was a case of Joeys improving so much but Shore (from what I hear) not quite performing as well as expected. Still a win is a win!

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Humble pie has its purpose every now and then.

Still am glad everyone is enjoying the plight of Scots Rowing. I even saw one of those gawdy car stickers for Scots Rowing (God I hate those stickers). I bit my tongue and didn't ask how their year went, oh well, maybe they can throw some cash at the Shore/Joeys/View rowers to build their ranks.

MR

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
4x.jpg
A bit of grist for the mill. Selective state school won the schoolboy 4+ A final.

Coached part time by an old boy, sharing sheds with other clubs and schools, and specifically excluded from the Victorian HoR by the musty old APS.

Kids should row for fun; winning the odd race is the cream on top of what is (in my experience), a very rewarding and enjoyable cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.