• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 S15 SA Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Really looking forward to seeing Adongo, the Bulls Kenyan recruit via the Sharks academy. The guy is a monster and sounds like he can play a bit.

Daniel+Adongo+Vodacom+Bulls+Training+Session+JwU1YsnP9qXl.jpg

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/super-rugby/news/120210/Adongo_makes_a_giant_impression

Adongo makes a giant impression

by Brenden Nel 10 February 2012, 17:39

If pre-season games are there for players to make an impression, then the Bulls selectors need look no further than their off-season acquisition of Kenyan Daniel Adongo.
The man-mountain who is rumoured to give captain Pierre Spies a go in the gym, made the most of the hit-out on the Loftus B field as the Bulls B-side won a highly entertaining match against their Cheetahs counterparts 33-29.
Adongo, who stands 1.93m tall and weighs in at 112kg, was the star of the show on a balmy Pretoria afternoon, helping himself to three tries and emphatically s arrival at Loftus.
Before making the move to Loftus, the transfer was said to be one that the Sharks fought to stop. After seeing him play, one can understand why.
The Kenyan utility forward, who plays equally well at both loose forward and lock, was everywhere, and put in a sparkling performance that the coaching staff will be more than happy with.
But if Adongo stole the headlines, there was plenty else to put smiles on faces as both sides showed some deft touches for this part of the season that will have given both Frans Ludeke and Naka Drotske hope for the season ahead.
To be honest, if this was about the result, the Cheetahs would have sneaked this one. Two penalties in the last five minutes were turned down to be kicked to the sideline, both well within Riaan Smit’s kicking distance.
Either way, both sides excelled in their open style of play, holding little back, and while there were a number of mistakes, that can be expected this time of year.
After an early missed penalty by Lionel Cronje, the Cheetahs took the lead through one of their own by Sias Ebersohn.
It wasn’t long though before the Bulls hit back. Jean Cook, the blond stolen from Bloemfontein, burst through for a powerhouse try to put his side on the board.
The seesaw nature of the match was signified when Lourens Adriaanse retook the lead for the visitors, before a blistering break by winger Sampie Mastriet split the defence, leaving Adongo to take the final pass and fall over for his first try.
The Cheetahs were rewarded after a number of phases by prop Marcel van der Merwe, who went over from close range to put them 17-12 ahead at the break.
But in the second half it was the Bulls who took their opportunities better to clinch the game, and Adongo started off the half well, crashing over from close range for his second.
A great sideline conversion by Cronje retook the lead for the home side, before the Cheetahs found a perfect hole in the defence and Phillip Burger put Barry Geel away for a quick strike back.
At 24-19, the Cheetahs looked ominous, but it was that man Adongo again who popped up in the right place at the right time, grabbing the ball at the base of the ruck and crashing over to retake the lead.
Mastriet put his name on the scoreboard shortly afterwards, taking a perfect blindside pass from Ruan Snyman to swoop in from 50 metres and give the Bulls some breathing space.
Dusty Noble, who recovered from a horrible knee injury last season, was determined to make his mark, and grabbed the last try in this nine-try festival, leaving both teams satisfied with their efforts, even if the result mattered less.
For the Bulls, Adongo, Cook, midfielder Ulrich Beyers and Cronje stood out, while Snyman, lock Cornell Hess and Mastriet will all leave the field smiling.
The Cheetahs will be happy with the form of both Riaan Smit and Sias Ebersohn, while Lourens Adriaanse, Phillip van der Walt and Noble all looked class.
SCORERS
Bulls – tries: Daniel Adongo (3), Sampie Mastriet, Jean Cook. Cons – Lionel Cronje (4).
Cheetahs – tries: Lourens Adriaanse, Marcel van der Merwe, Barry Geel, Dusty Noble. Cons – Sias Ebersohn (2), Riaan Smit. Pen: Ebersohn.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Round 1 is round the corner and cant wait for the action to start.

Brutes vs Sharks in the Bull Ring will kick our lot off on friday night. This is going to be huge.

Stormers vs Hurricanes at Newlands followed by the cat fight in Ellispark.

Reconditioned and ready for some real rugby action!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Final squads and Rugby365 reviews
Bulls
The Bulls have lost lots of power and experience - Victor, Bakkies, Fourie, Danie Rossouw, Gurthrö - household names in South African rugby - and Derick Kuün, Bees Roux and Stefan Watermeyer but they have gained some lively young players - JJ Engelbrecht, Johann Sadie, Jacques Potgieter and the only foreign national in their squad, Daniel Adongo, as well as seasoned men in Jano Vermaak (Why has he never played for South Africa?) and Willie Wepener. But they look like a side rebuilding and it may well take some time for the building to reach the finished product that `brought them Super Rugby titles on 2007, 2009 and 2010.
Captain: Pierre Spies
Coach: Frans Ludeke
Squad: Bjorn Basson, JJ Engelbrecht, Louis Fouche, Dean Greyling, Francois Hougaard, Zane Kirchner, Juandre Kruger, Werner Kruger, Akona Ndungane, Wynand Olivier Dewald Potgieter, Jacques Potgieter, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Johann Sadie, Pierre Spies (captain), CJ Stander, Wilhelm Steenkamp, Deon Stegmann, Dawie Steyn, Flip van der Merwe, Jano Vermaak, Willie Wepener, Morne Steyn, Francois Venter, Frik Kirsten, Arno Botha, Daniel Adongo, Warwick Tecklenburg, Jurgen Visser.

Cheetahs
This could just be the year of the Cheetahs, the year they catch up with their prey. Last year was a troubled one - injuries and sponsorship - but they did better than in the past and included wins over the Waratahs in Sydney and the Crusaders at home. They would prefer to have Juan Smith and Coenie Oosthuizen fit and well and would probably have preferred not to have lost Sarel Pretorius and Rian Viljoen, but late last year saw the rise of teenager Johan Goosen as South Africa's best flyhalf prospect in a long, long time. The efforts of the forwards and Piet van Zyl behind them are crucial. (Van Zyl did so well last year, less well in this year's warm-up matches.)
Captain: Juan Smith/Adriaan Strauss
Coach: Naka Drotské
Squad: Lourens Adriaanse, Ryno Benjamin, Heinrich Brüssow, Hennie Daniller, Tewis de Bruyn, Justin Downey, George Earle, Robert Ebersohn, Sias Ebersohn, Andries Ferreira, Barry Geel, Johan Goosen, Cameron Jacobs, Rocco Jansen, Ashley Johnson, Pieter Labuschagne, Willie le Roux, Hercu Liebenberg, WP Nel, Dusty Noble, Trevor Nyakane, Davon Raubenheimer, Philip Snyman, Adriaan Strauss (captain), Andries Strauss, François Uys, Izak van der Westhuizen, Marcel van der Merwe, Philip van der Walt, Piet van Zyl.
Lions
Every team in South Africa should be copying them - their ability to run with the ball, off the ball and in exciting lines, rather than trying to be mechanical clones of Rod Macqueen's Brumbies of yore. The Lions' rise in the Currie Cup was wonderful. They played with such enthusiasm and obvious enjoyment - an obviously happy and spirited team where every man counted. Losing Jano Vermaak and Rory Kockott may not have been desirable but the way they play is not dependent on individualism.
Captain: Josh Strauss
Coach: John Mitchell
Squad: Patric Cilliers, CJ van der Linde, Jacobie Adriaanse, JC Janse van Rensburg, Bandise Maku, Martin Bezuidenhout, Edgar Marutlulle, Callie Visagie, Wikus van Heerden, Hendrik Roodt, Franco van der Merwe, Cobus Grobbelaar, Jaco Kriel, Derick Minnie, Michael Rhodes, Josh Strauss (captain), Warren Whiteley, Michael Bondesio, Ross Cronjé, Whestley Moolman, Butch James, Elton Jantjies, Alwyn Hollenbach, Doppies la Grange, Lionel Mapoe, Waylon Murray, Jannie Boshoff, Dylan Des Fountain, Michael Killian, Deon van Rensburg, James Kamana, Jaco Taute.

Sharks
You always expect the Sharks to do well and usually they do. They have star players mixed with rising stars. They would prefer Tendai Mtawarira not to be injured but they have the Du Plessis brothers to make the best of any front row. They have lost ageing veterans in John Smit and Stefan Terblanche but they still have strong experience and young men who on the way to becoming stars - like Pieter-Steph du Toit, Marcell Coetzee and Cobus Reinach. Their halfback combination of Patrick Lambie and Frédéric Michalak could just become the most exciting in South Africa.
Captain: Keegan Daniel
Coach: John Plumtree
Squad: Dale Chadwick, Jannie du Plessis, Wiehahn Herbst, Tendai Mtawarira, Julian Redelinghuys, Craig Burden, Kyle Cooper, Monde Hadebe, Bismarck du Plessis, Anton Bresler, Alistair Hargreaves, Jan André Marais, Peet Marais, Ross Skeate, Steven Sykes, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Willem Alberts, Jacques Botes, Marcell Coetzee, Keegan Daniel (captain), Jean Deysel, Ryan Kankowski, François Kleinhans, Lubabalo Mtembu, Conrad Hoffmann, Charl McLeod, Cobus Reinach, Patrick Lambie, Frédéric Michalak, Meyer Bosman, Paul Jordaan, Marius Joubert, Wandile Mjekevu, Tim Whitehead, Heimar Williams, Lwazi Mvovo, Odwa Ndungane, JP Pietersen, Sibusiso Sithole, Louis Ludik, Gouws Prinsloo, Riaan Viljoen.
Stormers
For two years in a row the Stormers - second two years in a row, beaten finalists in 2010 and smashed semifinalists in 2011. Last year the Crusaders exposed their continuing weakness. Two of their stronger men last season - CJ van der Linde and Anton van Zyl - have pushed off. Veteran (32 years of age) Deon Carstens is home from Saracens but he is unlikely to make a Bakkies Botha of a difference when forwards are being buckled. He is not their only loss as François Louw is off to Bath, Jaque Fourie to Japan for a Mt Fuji of yen, it seems and Rickie January is in Lyon, one of France's great gastronomic centres. Johann Sadie, Paul Bosch and JJ Engelbrecht have also gone. Mind you, Joe Pietersen, the promising JP du Plessis and Gerhard van den Heever could add speed and verve.
Captain: Schalk Burger
Coach: Allister Coetzee
Squad: Joe Pietersen, Gerhard van den Heever, Bryan Habana, Jean de Villiers, Gio Aplon, Gary van Aswegen, Louis Schreuder, Nick Köster, Duane Vermeulen, Siya Kolisi, Andries Bekker, Rynhard Elstadt, Brok Harris, Tiaan Liebenberg, Steven Kitshoff, Deon Fourie, Deon Carstens, Siyabonga Ntubeni, Frans Malherbe, Eben Etzebeth, De Kock Steenkamp, Nizaam Carr, Nic Groom, Marcel Brache, Burton Francis, Danie Poolman, Schalk Burger (captain), Juan de Jongh.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Good summary from them.

I particularly liked this line the writer snuck in:
Rickie January is in Lyon, one of France's great gastronomic centres

:)

He looked like he had swallowed a sheep last year, so should make for interesting watching if he's on a good paddock in France.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Good summary from them.

I particularly liked this line the writer snuck in:
Rickie January is in Lyon, one of France's great gastronomic centres

:)

He looked like he had swallowed a sheep last year, so should make for interesting watching if he's on a good paddock in France.
I am over the moon we got rid of him. The Stormers profiles
http://www.thestormers.co.za/profiles.asp

Few new names in there. Wont belong before this names will make sense
http://www.thestormers.co.za/profiles.asp?id=1371
http://www.thestormers.co.za/profiles.asp?id=1071
http://www.thestormers.co.za/profiles.asp?id=1201

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sadie looking good.
Sport24
Sadie: I'm stronger at Bulls

2012-02-20 22:28
Email | Print

dad0dc42d9f144fa92b50fd507f5b5c7.jpg

Johann Sadie (File)

Cape Town - Bulls centre Johann Sadie says he is a "stronger, fitter and mentally tougher" player since joining the Bulls from the Stormers.

The Beeld newspaper reports that Sadie and Francois Venter will start in the midfield for the Bulls against the Sharks at Loftus Versfeld on Friday evening.

Both will make their Super Rugby debuts for the Bulls, although Sadie has played seven times for the Stormers. Venter will make his first Super Rugby appearance.

"Everything has changed since I came to the Bulls 13 weeks ago. I'm stronger, fitter, and mentally tougher and I'm burning to put all the last few months' hard work into action.

"Things are done a lot differently here than at the Stormers and each of the regions have their own culture.

"I don't really want to make comparisons but what I can say is that I never realised what my body and mind were capable of before I joined the Bulls. I didn't realise one could be pushed so far (to the limit)," said Sadie.

The 20-year-old Venter believes he's ready for the challenge of taking on the Sharks.

"I also played for the Blue Bulls in last year's Currie Cup and also against the Sharks - so I know what awaits me," said Venter.

Venter will play in the injured Wynand Olivier's place and he's keen to make Olivier fight to get his spot back.

"I have unbelievable respect for Wynand and he helps me a lot but it won’t help just accepting I won't get game time.

"I will push him all the way for a spot in the starting team," said Venter.

The Bulls' clash against the Sharks kicks off at 19:10 on Friday evening.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
That post has already won post of the year and we've hardly started.
Thats not all, they have designed special rugby boots for the new look Brutes
http://a2.sphotos.AK (Andrew Kellaway).fbcdn.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-ash4/424842_10151291811840212_850695211_22955269_441384675_n.jpg

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
All I can say bring it!

The money on jersey sales goes to charity so if they look like fairies it's for a good cause.

Doesn't mean I like it though :)

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The new look Brutes
http://a6.sphotos.AK (Andrew Kellaway).fbcdn.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-ash4/s720x720/419609_3244178939061_1104507922_33296242_570368273_n.jpg

Can You please translate the speach bubble Blue or Paarl?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Brutes team for the Sharks
Zane Kirchner (54), Akona Ndungane (67), Johann Sadie (7)*, Francois Venter (0)*, Bjorn Basson (25), Morné Steyn (89), Francois Hougaard (29), Pierre Spies (72, c), Jacques Potgieter (0)*, Deon Stegmann (55), Juandré Kruger (0)*, Flip van der Merwe (34), Werner Kruger (58), Chiliboy Ralepelle (35), Dean Greyling (15). Replacements: Willie Wepener (40)*, Frik Kirsten (2), Wilhelm Steenkamp (36), CJ Stander (0)*, Jano Vermaak (62)*, Louis Fouché (0)*, JJ Engelbrecht (0)*.

Bold= debutants

I am worried about the strike power of the back three but other then that a good team.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sadie and Venter will be excellent and probably the most talented young midfield you will ever see playing.
Potgieter = comes from EP and a fire eater bar none. Had an excellent CC season for the Brutes and made an immediate impact for the start,
Juandre Kruger is another Paul Roser and played in the UK before the Brutes got him back. Excellent ball carrier.
CJ Stander played SA U20, good player, Louis Fouche a good kicking Brute type of 10 poached from the Leopards and JJ Engelbrecht the x Stormers winger.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
I've heard a bit about Johann Sadie (mostly from your posts and links Paarlbok), but I know little about Francois Venter.

I've heard he is even younger than Sadie, but that is about it. What style of game does he play? Is he an out-and-out 12 or is he a talented youngster playing out of position while Wynand Olivier is injured? If so, what is his best position?

A lot of questions I know, but your knowledge is appreciated.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I've heard a bit about Johann Sadie (mostly from your posts and links Paarlbok), but I know little about Francois Venter.

I've heard he is even younger than Sadie, but that is about it. What style of game does he play? Is he an out-and-out 12 or is he a talented youngster playing out of position while Wynand Olivier is injured? If so, what is his best position?

A lot of questions I know, but your knowledge is appreciated.
Venter is a Grey Bloem product and still very young. Played SA U20 last year. He run some excellent lines, good defender and your more type of 13 midfielder. Sadie in his younger days played 12 but he have to much gas to be waisted in the 12 position. I think they will play inside outside despite the numbers on their back. Obvious Meisiekind (Olivier) is their first pick as midfielder because of his experience but this two will be my pick. I think this is the area where the Brutes will hurt the Sharks, midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.